what had happened to us....

Status
Not open for further replies.

fooj

Oct 27, 2004
Sengkang;Fernvale
www.foojphotography.com
we all started photography due to the passion to produce great pictures, aren't we. I still remember when my friends & i joined a group of photographers for outdoor shoot which we have never met before. we were using low end manual SLR/ 3rd party lens and we did not dare to take our cameras out from our bag at 1st, we afraid they might look down on our equipment as they were all carrying the top end gadgets.
but we were wrong,the guys were very friendly, they never asked what cameras we using or what lens we brought. in fact our gathering was all abt shooting & pinpointing each other mistakes, they also shared wif us their personal experience in photography.:thumbsup:

sadly nowadays, whenever there is a photography outing. i always hear pple asking wat camera u use & why don't u get a f2.8 lens etc. i felt that the purpose of the outing to share photography knowledge is no longer there. its all abt pple bringing their latest toys they have just bought to show off . the discussion is also circulating whats the lastest camera/ lens out in the market, comparison of camera A to camera B, which lens AF faster and so on. maybe we need to change our mindset now, coz in future newbie dare not join in the gathering anymore as they have nothing to boost around and no one to learn from anymore.:cry:

I think you're pretty lucky, had a few that looked down on me when I joined them because I was using a CoolPix 5700 :)

fooj said:
sadly nowadays, whenever there is a photography outing. i always hear pple asking wat camera u use & why don't u get a f2.8 lens etc. i felt that the purpose of the outing to share photography knowledge is no longer there. its all abt pple bringing their latest toys they have just bought to show off . the discussion is also circulating whats the lastest camera/ lens out in the market, comparison of camera A to camera B, which lens AF faster and so on. maybe we need to change our mindset now, coz in future newbie dare not join in the gathering anymore as they have nothing to boost around and no one to learn from anymore.:cry:

I think u joined the wrong outings liao... come for my icarus series of outing, where size and brands of cameras doesn't matter at all. :angel: :angel:

fooj said:
we all started photography due to the passion to produce great pictures, aren't we. I still remember when my friends & i joined a group of photographers for outdoor shoot which we have never met before. we were using low end manual SLR/ 3rd party lens and we did not dare to take our cameras out from our bag at 1st, we afraid they might look down on our equipment as they were all carrying the top end gadgets.
but we were wrong,the guys were very friendly, they never asked what cameras we using or what lens we brought. in fact our gathering was all abt shooting & pinpointing each other mistakes, they also shared wif us their personal experience in photography.:thumbsup:

Comparing equipment is actually a valid topic. That was also done back in the days when we shoot manual focus film camera. The only difference was, back then, there were fewer photographers around. Those that joined shoots were generally enthusiasts. We talk about everything photography, from hardware to techniques to art. In today's digital world, there are many more photographer. Many who joined shoots are not enthusiasts. The easiest thing to talk about is infact equipment. They just need to read the brochures. So, you just need to seek out those who shares your passion, and ignore the rest.

espn said:
I think you're pretty lucky, had a few that looked down on me when I joined them because I was using a CoolPix 5700 :)
looked down on you? Wow! they must be pretty tall!!!

Hmmm. I kinda agree with fooj.....

Maybe one day, I should just bring a disposable camera to one of these outings. :p

Deadpoet said:
Comparing equipment is actually a valid topic. That was also done back in the days when we shoot manual focus film camera. The only difference was, back then, there were fewer photographers around. Those that joined shoots were generally enthusiasts. We talk about everything photography, from hardware to techniques to art. In today's digital world, there are many more photographer. Many who joined shoots are not enthusiasts. The easiest thing to talk about is infact equipment. They just need to read the brochures. So, you just need to seek out those who shares your passion, and ignore the rest.

Kira said:

Maybe one day, I should just bring a disposable camera to one of these outings. :p

Yep.. that's why now when I go on outings I prefer to use a DC like my coolpix 4600. I can shoot without being asked what film I using, etc. And I get better shots than my SLR. :bsmilie:

Kira said:

i will be organizing a disposable camera only outing pretty soon :)
watch out for it :bsmilie:

I also want to share some feeling that I have when I meet some "Pro" photographer during events. They seems very snobish, and won't even want to interact with other "Non-pro" camera man. They won't care if they just walk infront of your camera and stand there to shoot. Others have to make way for him.

I ever saw someone with a 1Ds Mark II during a break, I asked him how he feels about the camera, and all he said was "Much better then your 300D!", then stood up and walk away!

Humm..... Is "pro" photographer god? Or too scared we learn too much from him and he loose his job next time?

lightning said:
I also want to share some feeling that I have when I meet some "Pro" photographer during events. They seems very snobish, and won't even want to interact with other "Non-pro" camera man. They won't care if they just walk infront of your camera and stand there to shoot. Others have to make way for him.

I ever saw someone with a 1Ds Mark II during a break, I asked him how he feels about the camera, and all he said was "Much better then your 300D!", then stood up and walk away!

Humm..... Is "pro" photographer god? Or too scared we learn too much from him and he loose his job next time?
Wow... bad... :( this is really bad.

fooj said:
they never asked what cameras we using or what lens we brought. [...]
sadly nowadays, whenever there is a photography outing. i always hear pple asking wat camera u use & why don't u get a f2.8 lens etc.

It used to be that photographic equipment was marketed as tools to both professionals and amateurs. Nowadays, photography is the "in" thing, and these technical items are marketed as branded lifestyle accessories. This in turn draws the "lifetsyle" crowd into the hobby.

The photographic community has become more diverse - I'm sure the kind of people you started out with are still there, but they may be a bit harder to find.

icarus said:
i will be organizing a disposable camera only outing pretty soon :)
watch out for it :bsmilie:

In terms of environmental friendliness, I think this sends the wrong signal.

On that note, I think digital cameras are actually very enviromental friendly. No waste everytime you shoot. Everything is reused. Only some "zeros" turns to "ones" ;)

lightning said:

Wow! That is so low!

Take a shot of this man with your 300D. I am sure many of us curious who this great "god" is....;)

LittleWolf said:

Once in a while, its ok lah... :)
:sweatsm: :sweatsm:

LittleWolf said:

disposable cameras are actually recycled by the manufactuerers for reuse....

Once not too long ago.. I went for one of the organized shoots here by one of the organizers here in CS... I was shooting film that day... Well... can u believe this guy actually looked at me with a ludicrous look n exclaim.. 'you still using film'??? No money for digital arh....:faint:
Couldnt be bothered to explain. I just gave him a smile and needless to say that was the last time I ever went for any of his shoots.
:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.