what had happened to us....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dun feel so bad lah, one camera shop in KL actually said I look like a wanted man ...and the other one dun want to sell me a S7000Z, coz I dressed poorly :dunno:

It is true that nowaday, people judge you based on the equipment you got and who you are. But through more meetings, you do come across 'genuine' photographers with etiquette/manner.

If it makes you feel betta, my D70 plus kitlens cost more than the car I am driving.....:embrass:

The only thing makes me feel bad is that my photos still sux big time.....LOL :confused:

lightning said:
I also want to share some feeling that I have when I meet some "Pro" photographer during events. They seems very snobish, and won't even want to interact with other "Non-pro" camera man. They won't care if they just walk infront of your camera and stand there to shoot. Others have to make way for him.

I ever saw someone with a 1Ds Mark II during a break, I asked him how he feels about the camera, and all he said was "Much better then your 300D!", then stood up and walk away!

Humm..... Is "pro" photographer god? Or too scared we learn too much from him and he loose his job next time?
I will try not to engage any kind of conversation related to photography while I’m working even thou when I having a break, you will never know the how the conversation goes. Especially so many people like to talk about camera and lens, I’m here to work.

you pick a wrong time, wrong place, wrong subject with wrong people.

If anyone asks me how to handle situation like this or that, I will give a quick advice, but will not go in to details.

Btw, if you wish to talk to me, can, buy me coffee when I'm free, but please take a number first.

catchlights said:
I will try not to engage any kind of conversation related to photography while I’m working even thou when I having a break, you will never know the how the conversation goes. Especially so many people like to talk about camera and lens, I’m here to work.

you pick a wrong time, wrong place, wrong subject with wrong people.

If anyone asks me how to handle situation like this or that, I will give a quick advice, but will not go in to details.

Btw, if you wish to talk to me, can, buy me coffee when I'm free, but please take a number first.

oh wat a pro comments...........:eek:

Oh, btw, I don't really fancy about camera, so don't know much about Canon, best is you buy coffee for PeterLim, his is my senior and a Canon user, he would love to share to people who wish to learn, but his a little busy now, if you don’t mind, Chinese New Year period would be good time to have some coffee time.

Hope this help.

peter lim juz call me, looks like august he very bz, asking me to help:)

icarus said:
I think u joined the wrong outings liao... come for my icarus series of outing, where size and brands of cameras doesn't matter at all. :angel: :angel:

Icarus series of outing is good :thumbsup: My 1st outing with them only a Canon A40...:bsmilie:

that outing i went was abt 6 years back. we were all very shy, its the lao jiao who approached us. we went to east coast to shoot landscape and newbie like me was advised to use manual setting, how to use shutter speed/ apreture setting, exposure compensation. they even offer to lend me a tripod when i don't have 1. thanks to them i still know my basic.

its was during the waiting for foto collection then we talk abt equipment stuff. after we got our fotos, all of us kept our camera in the bag. turn by turn we display all the fotos we took that day on the fastfood rest table wif the setting written behind the foto for comment. at the end of the gathering, few of them brought along their portfolio to share wif us.

nowadays, have seen a group of photographers went into KFC and sat there wif their gears on the table & chit chatting, seem like they want attention from the public as well :thumbsd:

If you want, try those guys at another thread: " Photoaid III ......" it is located in the kopitiam thread. The guys there are very friendly. There have guys there who are good ( full time photographers ) as well as newbies. From time to time they'll org outings which they'll welcome anyone to join them. They'll talk about anything and everything but they don't compair equiptment. Check it out.

obewan said:
Icarus series of outing is good :thumbsup: My 1st outing with them only a Canon A40...:bsmilie:

Thanks obewan! Hope to see u future outings! :)
long time never shoot with u already leh!

ortega said:
come to the northeast and shoot, P&S cameras also can.
No camera also welcomed.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ortega said:
come to the northeast and shoot, P&S cameras also can.
No camera also welcomed.

Yeah, no camera also can, just bring your CF card, right?
:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

icarus said:
Thanks obewan! Hope to see u future outings! :)
long time never shoot with u already leh!

I'm working in the evening most of the time and sometimes weekends have to work too, so can't join your outings. So envy u guys can go M'sia to shoot, but I really can't apply leaves and join in the fun :cry:
I will always keep a lookout for your outings, if I can make it, I will surely join... :bsmilie:

LittleWolf said:
It used to be that photographic equipment was marketed as tools to both professionals and amateurs. Nowadays, photography is the "in" thing, and these technical items are marketed as branded lifestyle accessories. This in turn draws the "lifetsyle" crowd into the hobby.
Unfortunately, this kind of 'in' thing is slowly but surely attracting a wrong group of ppl.

Ppl who goes by things like:

"I shoot only film. Film is professional. Digital is not professional."
"Why u still using this lens? Very slow. Why dun buy 2.8 lens?"
"350D better den your 1D ah. Cos I got 8 MEGAPIXEL AH!"

And last but not least...
"YOUR CAMERA HOW MANY MEGAPIXEL HAR? HAHAHA... YOUR CAMERA LOUSY CANNOT TAKE MOVIES. MY ONE CAN."

When photography becomes equipment wanking.... :sweat:

reminds me of something that happened early last year. I was shooting with my Fuji S1 pro and this guy using a D2H came and ask me why I'm still using the S1. Told him that it still can produce what I want and so far my clients are happy with what I shoot. He kept saying that the S1 cannot make it and for an important job like this I should have use a better camera. Just at that time the groom came over and told him that I'm the photographer who shot his ( the groom's ) sister's wedding which he ( the D2H user ) said was very well taken. He ( the D2H user ) said that I must have used film the last time. I ask him " you shoot film also? " he replied, " No lah, I don't have a film camera lah, film camera got no screen how to shoot? ". I just smile.

wah mebbe u shld go for azure outings lor. mi went for one and he dun care about wat cam u using and will share wif u. ...but if u r the yaya type den :dunno: liaoz lor... haha.

lightning said:
I also want to share some feeling that I have when I meet some "Pro" photographer during events. They seems very snobish, and won't even want to interact with other "Non-pro" camera man. They won't care if they just walk infront of your camera and stand there to shoot. Others have to make way for him.

I ever saw someone with a 1Ds Mark II during a break, I asked him how he feels about the camera, and all he said was "Much better then your 300D!", then stood up and walk away!

Humm..... Is "pro" photographer god? Or too scared we learn too much from him and he loose his job next time?

he was probably pissed at that time when his LCD malfunctioned.

fooj said:
sadly nowadays, whenever there is a photography outing. QUOTE]

like on sats when packs of wolfs gather around cathay P?

For most of the outings, especially big ones, u usually see the whole grp dominated by dslrs. Felt real inadequate with my puny a40, and still feel like an outcaste with my slightly-less-puny 602z now.

Talk abt lens, wat lens do i have to talk abt? From my point of view, it's really obvious, anyone without dslr tend to be less able to click with the rest, as a result of the inability to 'talk equipment'. Someone once asked me, "so what system are u using?"; when i replied, he just turned and find someone else to talk to. Conversation just can't continue. There is something really wrong isnt it? :dunno:

With the exception of azure's ag outings, i havent attended any that is not dominated by equipment talk. If people with lower-end dslrs can feel low, what about those with consumer/prosumer cams. Maybe that's why u seldom see them in big outings. :dunno:

[just my 2 cents worth of comments]

lightning said:

Now that fellow has no respect for the trade at all.What a shame.

I believe that if a photo-shoot ends up becoming a pissing contest between equipment, then the whole purpose has been trashed, and the aim of snapping great pictures and honing the "eye" has disappeared.

Status
Not open for further replies.