what flim ISO to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

klein

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
hi guys and ladies i would like to ask how do u decide what kind of ISO flim to use?? eg. if u get lens like fstop 4.5 to 5.6?.

erm what i mean is like in like low lighting etc, if we set to aperture priority, does it mean that the metering of the camera will also take the flim speed we are using into account? cause i find like if i use iso 200 in lower lighting, the shutter speed goes down to like 1/10 or 1/20 something like that. so if i use say iso 400 would my shutter speed increase in order to get the correct exposure? will the meter in the camera be able to take it into account?cause i know if the shutter speed is too low and in the event that our hands are shaky the pics will be blur.. can share with me yr experiences and knowledge?

so in general also how do u actually know what iso u need to use?

WEll i cant express myself really well i do hope u all understand what i said.

Originally posted by klein
hi guys and ladies i would like to ask how do u decide what kind of ISO flim to use?? eg. if u get lens like fstop 4.5 to 5.6?.

erm what i mean is like in like low lighting etc, if we set to aperture priority, does it mean that the metering of the camera will also take the flim speed we are using into account? cause i find like if i use iso 200 in lower lighting, the shutter speed goes down to like 1/10 or 1/20 something like that. so if i use say iso 400 would my shutter speed increase in order to get the correct exposure?

Yes, when you use Aperature Priority or even other modes except manual mode, the camera will auto compensate for you (In Aperature priority mode - a higher ISO film will results in a faster shutter speed as compared with using a slower film speed)

Let say for example, given a ISO speed film of say 200.
The exposure in the camera reading is F-stop 4.5 and speed 1/10s.

In a ISO of 400 film, with the same f-stop, the shutter speed will be 1/20s, since the ISO 400 film is 2 times faster than the ISO 200 film.

Its depend on you preference, however there are some films which might not be suitable for night shooting.

Hope that help. ;)

erm what i mean is like in like low lighting etc, if we set to aperture priority, does it mean that the metering of the camera will also take the flim speed we are using into account? cause i find like if i use iso 200 in lower lighting, the shutter speed goes down to like 1/10 or 1/20 something like that. so if i use say iso 400 would my shutter speed increase in order to get the correct exposure? will the meter in the camera be able to take it into account?cause i know if the shutter speed is too low and in the event that our hands are shaky the pics will be blur.. can share with me yr experiences and knowledge?

WEll i cant express myself really well i do hope u all understand what i said.

A film with higher ISO rating meanz that it iz more senzitive to light. A ISO 400 film iz double az senzitive compared to a ISO 200 film n a ISO 800 film iz double az senzitive compared to a ISO 400 film so on n so forth .....

Normally we uze a high ISO film for low light conditionz. If we want to gain the extra shutter speed to capture actionz, we may alzo conzider uzing high ISO film.

One thing to keep in mind iz: the higher the ISO, the bigger the grainz.

Every film canizter haz a DX coding on it. The camera iz able to detect the ISO of ur film thro the DX coding. If ur camera allowz, u may alzo set the ISO on the camera urzelf.

Hope thiz helpz.

:D

thanks guys and ladies for clearing my doubts but how do people usually judge what flim they should use i mean like for low light how low is low any way to tell?

if we take photo in shopping ctr should we use any filter on our daylight flim like 80B etc?

dont spend time fretting too much about all these, this is to make things practical and fussfree:

indoors: use fuji press 800

anywhere else: use fuji superia xtra 400

if u want simple and straight forward and fussfree black n white: use kodak TCN 400

if u are hardcore black and white shooter then ask somebody else

the above mentioned formula works clean, cheap and neat.

again if u want 2b more meticulous.. then ask someone else. but u will be spending more time

Originally posted by clive
dont spend time fretting too much about all these, this is to make things practical and fussfree:

indoors: use fuji press 800

anywhere else: use fuji superia xtra 400

Indoors: I use Ektachrome E100VS/E200

Outdoors: I use Ektachrome E100VS/E200

there you are, practical and fuss free :D

thanks for the replies, now the money side where to get iso 800 at the best price by the way any recommendation which flim is good in low lighting?

thanks for the replies, now the money side where to get iso 800 at the best price by the way any recommendation which flim is good in low lighting?

Can try Ruby.....

CP sells it. 6.80 i think. price varies.

Status
Not open for further replies.