What flash to use for Macro Photography ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rexscooby

Aug 6, 2006
Have just gotten a 100mm Macro lens and was wondering what type of flash is good for Macro ? More of use for taking nature eg . insects , flowers , leaves etc . What type of flash would be useful ? Can a 430ex do the job ? On a budget so cant afford the ring light type at the moment ;)

So what do you guys say ?

cut a styrofoam, fix on your lens, poke a ring of led bulbs thru it. :)

Have just gotten a 100mm Macro lens and was wondering what type of flash is good for Macro ? More of use for taking nature eg . insects , flowers , leaves etc . What type of flash would be useful ? Can a 430ex do the job ? On a budget so cant afford the ring light type at the moment ;)

So what do you guys say ?

On budget? then get a off camera cable. And place the flash accordingly.

Has anyone really tried using a self made macro flash? Is the LED light neutral? I usually use just a bounce card or diffuser, or just step down the power of the flash. No budget for a macro flash either.

Has anyone really tried using a self made macro flash? Is the LED light neutral? I usually use just a bounce card or diffuser, or just step down the power of the flash. No budget for a macro flash either.
I actually thought of making one but after some considerations I changed my mind. The intensity may just not be enough for macro, especially if moving objects are photographed you would need shutter speed and may not be happy to pump up the ISO. I think the fact that the colour temperature may be wrong is not a big issue, using RAW format one can always fix that later, or set the WB in the camera to the right colour temperature from the start. Anyway, given the lack of intesity I think LEDs are just out of the question, since the number you'd need would be quite large, demanding a lot of power too. A pair of cheap ordinary 3:rd party 2:nd hand flashes would be more useful on each side of the lens if low on budget.

The 430ex can certainly do the job. Just get an off shoe cord and a diffuser and you are on your way.

The 430ex can certainly do the job. Just get an off shoe cord and a diffuser and you are on your way.
Definitely. Just like any other flash. In fact, my FL-50 works great from the top of my camera too. OK, it does cast some shadows from the top but it is not a big issue if I want to work a bit more comfortable and don't want to use a cord. OK, it is not a low budget flash, but IMO, any flash should be able to do the work with an off shoe cord.

Status
Not open for further replies.