What filters to use under direct sunlight?

Fidgetspinner

Aug 29, 2017
Singapore
If the scene is so bright that after increasing my cam shutter speed to maximum, and stop down aperture to smallest, reduce ISO to minimum.
What type of filters can i use in front of my lens? Will the polarizing filter help? I just need to reduce the glare on the scene so that the image at least look properly exposed.

If the scene is so bright that after increasing my cam shutter speed to maximum, and stop down aperture to smallest, reduce ISO to minimum.
What type of filters can i use in front of my lens? Will the polarizing filter help? I just need to reduce the glare on the scene so that the image at least look properly exposed.
A CPL reduces light by about 1.5 stops, depending on the brand and quality. Some high end types are closer to 1 stop only.
For anything else, Neutral Density (ND) filters are your friend. They come in different variations, usually 3, 6 and 10 stops of light reduction.

You can use a polarising filter ( cpl ) but it cut about 2 stops. You also need to rotate the filter to get the minimum glare or reflection.

Traditionally you would use a neutral density filter, a cheap variable Nd or those that have different strengths.

Here is a beginner's in-depth guide.

Polariser specifically,

Last edited: