What filters to get when shooting under fluorescent lamp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
denniskee said:
1) assuming photog uses daylight balance film.
2) slap on a CC filter to remove green/blue (i cant really differentiat) cast from the fluorescent lamp.
3) but the strobes is more or less daylight balance / corrected (depending if its pro model or not).
4) so you need to mod the color temp to that of a fluorescent lamp.

its like
1) begin with daylight balanced film value = 0
2) fluorescent lamp with value = +1
3) slap on CC filter (onto lens) with value = -1
4) light from lamp goes through CC filter on lens value = +1-1 = 0

if intend to use strobe / flash
5) now add in strobe / flash which is daylight balanced value = 0
6) light from strobe / flash goes through CC filter on the lens become value = 0-1 = -1
7) slap on CC filter (onto strobe / flash) with value = +1
8) now light from strobe / flash goes through both CC filter value = 0+1-1 = 0

so you see, in (4) and (8), both light from fluorescent lamp and strobe / flash reach the film with value = 0

more confuse:bsmilie:

I think you get his idea wrong.

If a room a fluorescent balance, you shoot with color film, without flash, you need to balance for fluorescent light with filter use on camera. The filter will be magenta base to compensate for green cast.

If in the same situation, you shoot with color film with flash and mix with fluorescent light as ambient, you need to use magenta filter on camera lens, and green filter on flash. Why? Because since you balance for fluorescent light, you also need to covert you flash to fluorescent light balance, if not the flash light will turn out too magenta on film.

Anyway, the TS is asking about shooting film, and without using flash, I believe he already has the answers.

Hope this is not too confessing to other.

catchlights said:

If a room a fluorescent balance, you shoot with color film, without flash, you need to balance for fluorescent light with filter use on camera. The filter will be magenta base to compensate for green cast.

If in the same situation, you shoot with color film with flash and mix with fluorescent light as ambient, you need to use magenta filter on camera lens, and green filter on flash. Why? Because since you balance for fluorescent light, you also need to covert you flash to fluorescent light balance, if not the flash light will turn out too magenta on film.

Anyway, the TS is asking about shooting film, and without using flash, I believe he already has the answers.

Ok. Simply put, with my little understanding, i will slap on a magenta filter on to my lens?

Diablo said:
Ok. Simply put, with my little understanding, i will slap on a magenta filter on to my lens?
Base on what I read from your post, you wish to use film and shoot with available light, Hoya FL-Day is good for a general use(Usable not will not be very accurate), but can you afford to lost another stop? So in this case you may need to use ultra high speed film.

Of course I would prefer to use digital for this shoot.

catchlights said:
Base on what I read from your post, you wish to use film and shoot with available light, Hoya FL-Day is good for a general use(Usable not will not be very accurate), but can you afford to lost another stop? So in this case you may need to use ultra high speed film.

Of course I would prefer to use digital for this shoot.

Gonna shoot in Singapore History Musuem. Lighting should not be too bad.

I'll be using f1.8 lenses with ISO400 film, so i guess it should take care of most situations even with a 1 stop loss of light.

catchlights said:

correct mah, in his case, it will be (4).:sweatsm:

Status
Not open for further replies.