What filters should i get for outdoor shoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sin77

Nov 28, 2004
I will be buying polariser.
But wat other filters are also good or necessary?
UV filter? IR filter? Wat can they do?

Hi sin77

IR filters absorb the visible spectrum and transmits the infraed segment to various degrees
UV filters for digital sensors are more for lens protection. I am being brief here but there is abit more about them

You can try read up this photo net article for more information on what the filters do.

What is it that you would like to achieve from your shots?
Perhaps we can work ur need for filters from there.

Cheers
Ryan

i am mainly shooting architectures, buildings, skyline and nature (with macro), sometimes sky.

I alrdy have lens hood, and getting cpl

ND grad filters work well.

i am mainly shooting architectures, buildings, skyline and nature (with macro), sometimes sky.

I alrdy have lens hood, and getting cpl

CPL will be useful for quite a few type of shooting. U should get one. ND grad filters is a 'must' have for skyline..... if you could afford it. :( But I heard it is not easy to master using ND grad filters.....

CPL will be useful for quite a few type of shooting. U should get one. ND grad filters is a 'must' have for skyline..... if you could afford it. :( But I heard it is not easy to master using ND grad filters.....

hi, how do GND and CPL differ when taking a skyline picture?

Besides enhancing the "blueness" in the sky, the CPL reduces the light reaching the film/sensor evenly throughout the entire picture. On the other hand, the ND Grad is useful when you want to take a picture where the sky is far too bright and the foreground you take becomes too dark as the metering takes an average measurement of the lighting or if you meter the ground, then the sky becomes overly exposed. The ND Grad cuts down the amount of light in the upper half of the picture and this helps you to obtain a more balanced picture.

getting a GND, but duno use handheld or screw on thread?
probably handheld since the 1/2 shade is fixed proportion

wat other filters u guys use as well? (not only for outdoor; can be anything)

Close-up filters if wanna shoot small subjects(macro) and dun have a dedicate macro lens....

UV, lens protection for me

for landscape I go for IR and CPL(gettin one soon....)

for those of u who have GND, you bought handheld or fixed-on?

As for magnification lens and close-up lens, wats the difference?

was wondering is it possible to stack a GND and CPL together for shooting?
not sure if its possible for my camera though

to fully control the graduation of a GND, its best to use those that use filter holders (you can also handhold it but then the stability of the filter is not assured)... you can then adjust where the graduation starts according to the scene's requirements... as well, there are different types of GND, some with more gradual change in ND and some with less gradual change... :)

those with filter holder can attached to camera stand or something in order to get stable?

Take a look at the Cokin P-series filter system.
www.cokin.com

/Thomas

those with filter holder can attached to camera stand or something in order to get stable?
what I meant was if you handhold the filter instead of using the filter holder then the filter not stable... if using the holder then the filter will be stable... the filter holders attach to the lens :)

as the previous poster mentioned, there is the Cokin system, and as well, there is the Lee system, and some made in China versions as well such as from a company called Tian Ya...

what I meant was if you handhold the filter instead of using the filter holder then the filter not stable... if using the holder then the filter will be stable... the filter holders attach to the lens :)

as the previous poster mentioned, there is the Cokin system, and as well, there is the Lee system, and some made in China versions as well such as from a company called Tian Ya...

i have roughly looked thru... wow, pretty impressive! Thanks.

Btw just check with you where can i get good service and at reasonable price for such products?

It seems that Cokin is only available at Cathay Photo at Outram and Lee I can't find the address.

I believe Cathay Photo has both... their retail is at Peninsular Plaza (main outlet) or Marina Sq (branch)... Outram is their office... Peninsular Plaza would have more variety of stuff, but isn't open on Sundays, whereas Marina Sq is open on Sundays but much less stuff... suggest you go to the Peninsular Plaza one...

alternatively I believe can try Orient Photo in Sim Lim 6th floor... beside the central lift...

Status
Not open for further replies.