what filters should I buy? Advice needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

exorcist

Apr 26, 2003
NTU
Visit site
hi, I am a newbie here. I will focus my interests on black/white photography concerning landscapes and portraits.

I know orange filters and red filters are widely used in B/W photography to create special effects, but i am hesitating that which one i should buy firstly and how to use it to make my pictures attractive?

Of course, i will use the orange or red filter for color pictures. So which one is used more frequently?

Thank you for any advice and suggestions!

--exorcist

Originally posted by exorcist
hi, I am a newbie here. I will focus my interests on black/white photography concerning landscapes and portraits.

I know orange filters and red filters are widely used in B/W photography to create special effects, but i am hesitating that which one i should buy firstly and how to use it to make my pictures attractive?

Of course, i will use the orange or red filter for color pictures. So which one is used more frequently?

Thank you for any advice and suggestions!

--exorcist

i feel there is no which to buy first because both create different effect. However, with budget , consider the organge first. It more " general" in that sense.

i've not tried red filter in colour photography. but the orange make the scence more warm. personally i dont quite like it because it "kills" all other colour.

IMHO, orange and red are a bit too close in terms of clour. Why not try a green filter instead of a red for B&W?

a polarizer is always a good choice.

hi, guys

thank u for advices!

yes, i have a CPL already. For the reason of budget, i will choose one from red and orange filters for my b/w photography.

I would buy the red filter firstly becasue it can darken the sky in b/w phtography. About the orange filter, i don't know how to use it and need more knowledge about it.

--exorcist

If you can "ta-han" for another 8 hours (as of this post), I'll scan in a page from the Lee Filters catalogue I have at home which show the different effects achieved by using different colour filters on B&W.

hi, thank all of you, guys

i am downloading the documents!

Clupsnap, it is a really good forum with many kind peoples!

As promised... here are examples of the effects of various colour filters on B&W film.

BWFilters.jpg

SzennyBoy

Thank you!

The filters do have obvious effect in the b/w photography.

After carefully thinking, maybe i will buy orange first...~~

--exorcist

Status
Not open for further replies.