What Film To Use for Functions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

catmanzecatz

Not sure what film to use for my SLR for my office's function.

It will be inside a theatrette and that the lighting sucks. Besides a powerful flash which often fails, film will be my next obstacle as the last time I took for my other functions I end up getting black or really dark faces using Kodak Max 400 film. Any better suggestions? :p

Really appreciate if pple can recommend ;p

Originally posted by catmanzecatz

It will be inside a theatrette and that the lighting sucks. Besides a powerful flash which often fails, film will be my next obstacle as the last time I took for my other functions I end up getting black or really dark faces using Kodak Max 400 film. Any better suggestions? :p

First, even if someone gives it to you free, AVOID KODAK MAX 400. It must be the worst film ever made by Kodak.

For the situations you mentioned, and if you don't want to use flash, try Fuji Press 800. Push 1 stop to 1600 if necessary. And use a fast prime lens (fixed focal length) if you can, unless you have a fast zoom like 28-70 f/2.8, 80-200 f/2.8 etc.

Regards
CK

Fujicolor Superia X-TRA 400 is a nice alternative.

usually any ISO 400 film will do right?
:)

if ISO = sensitivity of the film

why don't we just go for highest ISO film available?
any different?

Originally posted by nicekit
usually any ISO 400 film will do right?
:)

if ISO = sensitivity of the film

why don't we just go for highest ISO film available?
any different?

"There ain't no such thing as a free lunch".

While using a higher ISO lets you capture images in dimmer conditions, it comes with a snag - you get grainier pictures.

From experience, 400 is usually not enough for theatrical work.

Regards
CK

I use Kodak Supra 800, a bit grainy for big enlargement, but its color is good for such a hi-speed film. The best should be Fuji NPZ-800, unfortunately I can't find it anywhere in Singapore. Seems as it was sold only in US.

rgds.
Tiono

Originally posted by tsdh

I use Kodak Supra 800, a bit grainy for big enlargement, but its color is good for such a hi-speed film. The best should be Fuji NPZ-800, unfortunately I can't find it anywhere in Singapore. Seems as it was sold only in US.

rgds.
Tiono

From experience, the Kodak films tend to be grainier (putting Max 400 aside, Portra 400VC is grainier than Fuji NPH 400 for e.g.). Press 800 has pretty fine grain for its speed. I've seen 10 x 15 prints from it at Colour Lab and the grain is still not objectionable.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

From experience, the Kodak films tend to be grainier (putting Max 400 aside, Portra 400VC is grainier than Fuji NPH 400 for e.g.). Press 800 has pretty fine grain for its speed. I've seen 10 x 15 prints from it at Colour Lab and the grain is still not objectionable.

Regards
CK

Yo CK, know where I can find this film? Normal photo studios don't carry such high speed films right? :p

Yo CK, know where I can find this film? Normal photo studios don't carry such high speed films right? :p

Your neighbourhood store probably won't have them. Go to places like Cathay Photo, Foto Guide, John 3:16, the pro labs like Colour Lab, RGB, etc. :) About $6.50 per roll.

Regards
CK

Regards
CK

You're right. Fuji is less grain, but the color is less saturated than Supra800. I believe Fuji Press 800 use the same emulsion as Superia, just different label for marketing reason.
I still prefer Supra800 for colorful theatrical shots, but Press800 for the plain scenes or close up shots. So it is depend on the objective.

brgds.
Tiono

Hi

i have a mini wedding photography with high speed film writeup here , with sample shots from Fuji's Press 800 film........it should be the same kind of situation as ur company function......

First, even if someone gives it to you free, AVOID KODAK MAX 400. It must be the worst film ever made by Kodak.

For the situations you mentioned, and if you don't want to use flash, try Fuji Press 800. Push 1 stop to 1600 if necessary. And use a fast prime lens (fixed focal length) if you can, unless you have a fast zoom like 28-70 f/2.8, 80-200 f/2.8 etc.

Regards
CK

Thanks for the advice. But one more question: If I can use flash, but the backdrop is dark, almost black, do I still push?

Thanks.

Thanks for the advice. But one more question: If I can use flash, but the backdrop is dark, almost black, do I still push?

Thanks.

Should not need to. But if you push one or two stops and can get a shutter/aperture combi that can render _some_ background, then do it if you don't mind extra grain and contrast.

Regards
CK

Newbie's point of view: I once used Fuji Superia X-tra 800 for a indoor basketball match. Can't use the flash of course 'cos the distraction the flash can cause. The hall wasn't too well lit either, and so my pics came out pretty darned grainy. I was so discouraged that I haven't shot any indoor shots without flash ever since!

Originally posted by kllee
Newbie's point of view: I once used Fuji Superia X-tra 800 for a indoor basketball match. Can't use the flash of course 'cos the distraction the flash can cause. The hall wasn't too well lit either, and so my pics came out pretty darned grainy. I was so discouraged that I haven't shot any indoor shots without flash ever since!

In negative, when ur negative is underexposed and the lab is trying to correct the exposure for you, then your prints will look very grainy. That's why it is better to overexpose than under exposed in negative.

Originally posted by Kho King

In negative, when ur negative is underexposed and the lab is trying to correct the exposure for you, then your prints will look very grainy. That's why it is better to overexpose than under exposed in negative.

Which means that if they don't overexpose it (which makes it grainy), then it'll be underexposed?! Wah lau! That means I must REALLY suck!! *faints* That's it, I'm giving up indoor shoots for good! :cry:

Anyway, would appreciate any advice on how to rectify the problem.

Which means that if they don't overexpose it (which makes it grainy), then it'll be underexposed?! Wah lau! That means I must REALLY suck!! *faints* That's it, I'm giving up indoor shoots for good! :cry:

Anyway, would appreciate any advice on how to rectify the problem.

Press 800 @ 640. Push 1 stop to 1280 if necessary.
Fast Lenses.

Regards
CK

Press 800 @ 640. Push 1 stop to 1280 if necessary.
Fast Lenses.

Regards
CK

Thanks for the advice, but err.... what do you mean by that, apart from the 'fast lens' bit. Sorry, I newbie, velly sotong. please bear with me! :embrass:

Thanks for the advice, but err.... what do you mean by that, apart from the 'fast lens' bit. Sorry, I newbie, velly sotong. please bear with me! :embrass:

Which part you don't understand? The Press 800? ;)

Press 800 is a film by Fuji. Set your ISO on your camera to 640 if you want to shoot at 800. Set it at 1280 if you want to shoot it at 1600. If you choose the latter, tell the lab to "Push 1 Stop".

Regards
CK

AHHH!! I get it now! Wow, thanks so much! Very grateful! *kowtow* Actually, don't the camera actually automatically detect the ISO settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.