What factors should I charge based on?

Alexcheng

Dec 10, 2013
Singapore
Hi guys i was wondering how much i should charge this client who is hiring me to take pictures of their kitchen hood products.

Their requirements are simply to take the pictures on site of their hoods being used by their clients.

And a few pictures of newer models coming in. 2 of them to be specific.

How much should i charge?

Im new to commercial photography. And would appreciate any inputs from more experienced bros here.

Hi guys i was wondering how much i should charge this client who is hiring me to take pictures of their kitchen hood products.

Their requirements are simply to take the pictures on site of their hoods being used by their clients.

Im new to commercial photography. And would appreciate any inputs from more experienced bros here.

Perhaps you can let us know more.

Costing is rather complex, just thinking a loud if the setup of the product is not needed:
1. Do u need rental of any equipment?
2. Time needed to set up the lighting as shiny things are that straight forward to shoot.
3. time needed to edit the shots
4. You time for prepare, going to and back from shoot.
5. Time correspondence with your client,

So those is your time and rental cost.

6. Image release fee?
7. Your profit on top of those fee.

So you can answer your questions by knowing your capability in producing your work.

Ask more questions what is needed from clients.

Don't assume as client usually don't know what they want so you will spend a lot of time just to work out what they want before getting to the shoot itself.

My feeling is that it requires at least 1 full day of shoot and editing for a trained professional. So it depends on how much is their day rate plus image release.

But the main question is, how much budget does the clients allow for this project.

Good luck.

Regards,

Hart

You can see I quote your post and highlighted your danger words in red.

There is no 'simply' in creative work or any work. Such word-play are used by clients and uninformed people to devalue your efforts. A picture of some president getting assassinated is 'simply' a click of a button, a picture of planet earth shot from the moon is also 'simply a click of a button', so are the millions of dollars spent on the Vogue magazine covers, all 'simply' clicking a button.

Next consideration is 'On-Site', at their client's kitchens. Which you do not know what time you are going to take the photo, using room lights or natural light or your lights or a combo, and how different time of the day going to affect your result, how much time you get and how much interruption you are going to face from other people, what are your space and angle constraints, do you have the right lenses, can you fix distortion, can you portray the product properly with just one shot, does the product matches the client's kitchen in the first place, is there a uneven clash of brand new product in oily greasy kitchen with lotsa unrelated messy objects that makes post production a nightmare, or everything is spanking new and styled by an interior designer? And finally what is the client's expectation of the results? Picture perfect like a magazine cover despite all constraints?

After all the trouble of getting the picture with all the constraints, the client reply you with a 'not nice leh', we can't use the pictures due to 'reasons 1 2 3', how do you still not just get paid, but get paid in full? Thus all must be in the terms and conditions when you quote the client and get a signature in confirmation of the assignment(s).

Last edited:
Assuming you are confident and able to execute the required job from a creative/technical standpoint, for an idea of the factors you might wish to consider in your pricing & negotiation process, check out Wonderful Machine's regular posts on Pricing & Negotiating on the http://www.aphotoeditor.com/ website.

As for 'how much?', that's a question only you can answer. :)