What external HDD would u all recommend ?

bbbddd

Apr 9, 2010
Which external HDD would u all recommend? and how do u all backup ur photos?

Anything external brand Hard disk is just good , unless u pour water on it , burn it , chuck it from a moving vehicle . For that $10 delta how much difference can one expect between the various hard disk brands ?

I'll avoid Samsung HDD.

One is about as good as the other..... depends on what type of shape/size you like ;)

Wonderful experience with WD.

I think they have 5 years warranty. My 1 year old + MyBook Studio 320gb crashed on me and I send it back to them for RMA. They came back with a 1tb version back to me instead!

I've been using Seagate Free Agent Go to back up my photos. Typically, you'd not trust one hard disk to back up your images, so you should always duplicate your backup to at least two hard disks. One can be slim form factor hard disks such as the Free Agent Go, and the other one can be a higher capacity (and cheaper per GB) desktop equivalent such as the Free Agent Desktop.

If your images are important to you that you feel you should invest in adequate protection, consider a NAS set-up with RAID protection. In the event that one hard disk dies, other hard disk in the NAS set-up contain enough information to rebuild the data when you insert in a replacement hard disk. That said, NAS is not failproof. If the motherboard dies, or if there's a fire/flood/surge, your data is gone as well.

Morale of the story - back up in two physical drives, and store them in separate places.

There are few HDD makers in the market.. all are equally reliable and un-reliable!! Last as long and dies just when you don't want!! :eek:

WD
Hitachi
Samsung
Seagate/Maxtor
Toshiba

Just buy any one and pray hard!!, if you like you have multiple backups to reduce your risk exposure!! but there is nothing as 100% guaranteed ;p

Anything external brand Hard disk is just good , unless u pour water on it , burn it , chuck it from a moving vehicle . For that $10 delta how much difference can one expect between the various hard disk brands ?

believe me, you don't want to buy certain hard disk brands, they have higher chance and record of failing.

western digital is one that has been reliable for me so far.

sometimes it's just luck though.

this is one brand that a lot of my friends have had bad experience with.

I have gone through almost 20 hdd from 6 brands. Now looking back, I can safely say the best so far (in terms of MTBF) in the order of best to worst are:
(1) Seagate Constellation 1TB Model ST32000444SS (MTBF 1.2 Million Hours)
(2) Seagate Barracuda ES2 1TB Model ST31000640SS (MTBF 1.2 Million Hours)
(3) Western Digital Model WD3200BUDT (MTBF 1 Million Hours)
(4) Samsung Spinpoint HD103UJ (MTBF ???) - Cannot quantify - Failure within 5 months
(5) Hitachi Deskstar Model 7K1000
(MTBF ???) - Cannot quantify - Failure within 3 months

(1) & (2) are slightly more expensive but they give you peace of mind running 24/7.

seems like Western Digital is quite well recieved. I have had my WD for a few years now and it's still my most trusted HDD

worst is Maxtor, broke down on me less than 1 year. All my valuable travel photos stored in there is backed-up only in my brain HDD memory:cry:

i dont recommend WD.

To ninelives:
Just for my own knowledge, what is the reason for not recommending Western Digital?
I have a Western Digital 'My Book - 2 x 1Tb' before I switched to Drobo. It is still functioning.
Just that I'd like to hear your side of the story, ninelives.

To TS:
My personal opinion is, running a stack of at least 3 HDDs in RAID (whichever the enclosure) that will allow one to recover all data when one HDD fails, is certainly a better way of storage.
Sure, your final storage space would be much lesser than the actual physical memory.
I run my Drobo on 3 x 2Tb HDD (total 6Tb), but because Drobo runs on BeyondRaid, the final memory available is only 3.6Tb.
But I probably don't need to worry as much as if I were to use without any form of RAID.
However, I have heard that Drobo may not work as well for Windows as for Mac. Correct me if I am wrong, Windows users.

Get a pair of different brand if important data.