What Exposure Mode are you using most of the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qING

Jan 3, 2006
I am currently using a PnS (Canon Powershot A570 IS) with Manual controls. Although Manual mode provides the flexiblity, sometimes there may not be enough time to change the setting to take a photo (eg. street shoot).

I tried using Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority. It was quite safe except that at times, I may still need to change the setting from place to place (because of low lightning or direct sun). Will a DSLR (still saving to get one next year) help me to change the setting faster?

I am curious of what mode are the people setting most of the time (of course, it depends what you are shooting but what is the most frequent mode that you use)?

Previously, I was using manual. Now, I am planning to switch to Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority. More realistic :)

i shoot most often in aperture priority ( i set aperture, the camera finds the corrosponding shutter to match).

actually, its almost exactly like manual, except in manual, u need to find the corrosponding shutter and aperture yourself.

i shoot shutter priority when the chosen shutter will give the desirable effect. but this only applies to v slow shutter, cus the lens will stop down to a small aperture (every lens ve F16 or 22. but not all ve F2.8 or faster. my kit lens is only 5.6).

if i need very high shutter, i jus shoot aperture priority, using the biggest (or 2nd biggest aperture available on my lens). cus no point using shutter priority, cus the lens may not ve a big enough aperture to match my choosen shutter.

aperture priority most of the time unless i wanna apply some creative effect by varying the shutter speed. i usually adjust iso to ensure shutter speed does not fall too low when hand holding. :)

Aperture....

Manual when I need the exposure to be where I want it exactly.

Seems like most pple are using Aperture Priority... Hmm... Thanks for all your input. I will try more to see which one suits me better (Maybe I should just use P-mode :bsmilie:).

Seems like most pple are using Aperture Priority... Hmm... Thanks for all your input. I will try more to see which one suits me better (Maybe I should just use P-mode :bsmilie:).

YOz. i THink your PnS does not have a metering indicator, so its quite hard to use manual mode to gauge the correct exposure. One way is to use Aperture Priority, do some test shots and adjust the EV compensation, then you are ready to go for street shots. ;)

I shoot in 'A' mode most of the time as well. I guess it is because we want DOF control most of the time. So as long as the shutter is operating within a reasonable means, we shoot in 'A' mode.

I shoot in 'S' mode when I need to control shutter speed, like pan, action shots(not to the standard of shooting sport yet), or slow exposure for low light condition.

Most of the time use ev to control exposure combine with the above mode. No choice situation, or in some other situations where A and S would just not give the results I want, I will use 'M' to control the desire outcome.

I have never used any of the 'P' modes before because I feel that I have no control over it completely.

hmm i started out with Manual mode only , but nw as i try to take candids of such Manual is alittle slow, unless i'm used to the lighting in the area.
for adjusting settings for SLR, i think it can be quite fast when u noe your cam.

down side of AV i think is when the camera auto sets to a spd which i am unaware is "very slow" !! can thus hand shake :x

still prefer manual heee :p

hmmm

AV for DOV control ?
TV for sports ?

down side of AV i think is when the camera auto sets to a spd which i am unaware is "very slow" !! can thus hand shake :x

still prefer manual heee :p

hmmm

AV for DOV control ?
TV for sports ?

the camera actually didnt auto select the shutter speed for u in A mode. it merely finds a corresponding shutter for the aperture u selected. therefore, if the shutter is too slow, its because the aperture u choose is too small (if its already your biggest aperture, then u may ve to bump up the ISO).

the camera actually didnt auto select the shutter speed for u in A mode. it merely finds a corresponding shutter for the aperture u selected.

:dunno: errr .. "auto" for me meaning the camera sets it for me ??

difference between :dunno:....cam finds a corresponding shutter ... and ... cam auto selects a shutter spd

err, same same meaning lah, as in the cam in AV will select an appropriate shutter speed to the level of the exposure you've set on the cam....thats why i said it "auto" selects the spd for you ...err ofcouse we could bump up the iso but that would be wasting time adjusting and the reason i would want to use AV mode is to get the quick shot... :think: :sticktong
(dun like to bump up iso)

may I know whats the limitation in using P mode:dunno:
I've using it all the time but unsure about the limitations. Never tried aperture or shutter priority mode though.:)

may I know whats the limitation in using P mode:dunno:
I've using it all the time but unsure about the limitations. Never tried aperture or shutter priority mode though.:)

Program mode or P mode is a set of programmed values for the camera to follow whenever they sense a particular lighting scene. They will generally use the largest aperture available on the lens and set a shutter speed accordingly with regards to the ISO available.

And with some of the lenses, this may set the largest aperture which may be generally soft. Setting a stop or two down would probably give you a better picture result, which is why most users prefer using A mode. ;)

P and A mode for me.

But it really depends what I'm shooting. Normally for travel i use P because i don't want to miss any important shots. my D200 has been performing well in P mode (don't look down on P!) because it seems to know when i'm taking portraits of people (it'll stop down to largest aperture) and when i'm taking landscapes (it'll go up to 5.6, 8, 11 etc). But it usually overexposes so -0.3/-0.7 EV.

For sports it's either manual or shutter priority. Manual is better though.

Uses Av mode of the time. As im using a constant 2.8 lens, only need to change ISO when insufficient shutter and aperture only when shooting different stuff like landscape.

If I add in my flash, its always manual mode though.

When I go overseas, usually walking too fast to tweak. So I use Programme AE, and just control the exposure compensation or flash pop up. Usually walk, stop, photo, and run to catch up. When got more free time, den use aperture piority los

I mostly use Av except when flash is used & a more than -2 ev compensation is needed, then use manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.