What equipments to bring to Turkey?


Status
Not open for further replies.
May 7, 2003
73
0
0
Bedok Reservoir
Visit site
#1
Hi,

I will be touring Turkey (package) for 10 days in December. Any suggestions on what lens/equipment to bring?? I am currently using Canon 10D with battery grip.

These are all I have with me now...
1)19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 Tokina
2)28-70mm f/2.8 Tokina
3)70-200mm f/2.8 Canon
4)2 X convertor Canon
5)Manfrotto tripod
6)512m CF card
7)Do I need to back up with a manual SLR?

Thanks
LK
 

ST1100

Senior Member
Jun 18, 2003
1,785
0
0
Singapore, Bedok
#2
In your shoes, i would bring:

10D - without grip,
19-35,
... that's all.

i don't know the size of the 28-70, but the 70-200 is out of the question.

i would also supplement either a 35/2 or a fast 50mm. (Fast means big aperture, not speedy AF - for that you'd need a 35/1.4L)

512mb is too little, unless you shoot very carefully (ie slowly and meticulously.)

Bring a spare body, even if it's a compact or a digicam. Very important.
 

henavs

Senior Member
Dec 23, 2002
1,635
1
38
40
#3
Koh Li Kuan said:
Hi,

I will be touring Turkey (package) for 10 days in December. Any suggestions on what lens/equipment to bring?? I am currently using Canon 10D with battery grip.

These are all I have with me now...
1)19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 Tokina
2)28-70mm f/2.8 Tokina
3)70-200mm f/2.8 Canon
4)2 X convertor Canon
5)Manfrotto tripod
6)512m CF card
7)Do I need to back up with a manual SLR?

Thanks
LK

Depending on the nature of ur trip, if its a photography trip with fellow photographer, then by all means bring all the best equipments & backup u have.

But if ur touring in a tour package with friends or family, i suggest u go as light & mobile as possible...Such as bringing only the wide angle lens plus ur batts & cards. Forget ur tripod & medium or telephoto lens, they will hamper ur trip. Bring a small digicam just in case bigger cam is not practical...

Some info on this moderate Islam country,

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/TravelDetails/index.html


I haven't been there b4, maybe other CSer can help u with their experience...

Just my 0.2 bytes worth :D
 

TME

Senior Member
Jan 19, 2002
6,580
0
0
41
Clementi
#4
Yupe I find that I use the wide end of my 24-135mm lens most of the time. U'll want to take in as much as u can per shot. So the wide angle will be good. It might be better if u can borrow or rent something like the 24-135 or 28-200 or 24-200. This gives u moderate wide angle to medium telephoto all in one lens. The quality of the Tamrons and Tokinas for these high zoom ratio lens are pretty good. So I would recommend that.

Since u are going digital, u should be able to shoot as much as u like..... so bring more storage. Best if u can bring a HDD along.... then shoot all u want, and keep only the good ones..... I'll invest in the X-Gear actually just for the ability to shoot any and everthing I fancy..... I was conservative in my first such trip..... so shot only 17 rolls of film but realised later that I missed a lot of parts of the journey. I was afraid of running out of film at the last part of the trip. So digital-wise, it should not hamper u...... can borrow one or rent one also I think East Gear does rent out their X-Gears.
 

whoelse

Senior Member
Oct 17, 2003
1,228
0
36
#5
Are you going by guided tour (most likely ?!) or free and easy?
There are many places like mosque, underground palace and not allowed to use flash so bring along a fast prime len. 50mm good enuf for these situation. Bring a good zoom for visiting acient cities etc.

The cloud there are normally cloudless, mild blue. Being dry and this time of the year it can be quite cold at night. Because of cloudless sky, the nitesky is simply amazing!!! If you can find a complete darkness place (alot of space are w/o light so no prob), you will see a nitesky full of stars and very bright too. Most of these have cloudlike think surrounding these stars with is mindblowing. I try setting long exposure like 30min zooming 300mm len to have the star paint the film but my battery fail to withstand the time. That is why I got a all mech. shutter slr now.

You see alot of bright colored architect like deep red, blue, yellow etc and really make everything look so nice. Orange sunset, mile and mile of gaint sunflower and sunflower field and at time you see hours of sunflower even travelling in a coach.

I have some old picture I took with a cheapo Tamrom 28-200 len here:
http://web.singnet.com.sg/~iamjoven/album.htm
 

May 7, 2003
73
0
0
Bedok Reservoir
Visit site
#6
whoelse said:
Are you going by guided tour (most likely ?!) or free and easy?
There are many places like mosque, underground palace and not allowed to use flash so bring along a fast prime len. 50mm good enuf for these situation. Bring a good zoom for visiting acient cities etc.

The cloud there are normally cloudless, mild blue. Being dry and this time of the year it can be quite cold at night. Because of cloudless sky, the nitesky is simply amazing!!! If you can find a complete darkness place (alot of space are w/o light so no prob), you will see a nitesky full of stars and very bright too. Most of these have cloudlike think surrounding these stars with is mindblowing. I try setting long exposure like 30min zooming 300mm len to have the star paint the film but my battery fail to withstand the time. That is why I got a all mech. shutter slr now.

You see alot of bright colored architect like deep red, blue, yellow etc and really make everything look so nice. Orange sunset, mile and mile of gaint sunflower and sunflower field and at time you see hours of sunflower even travelling in a coach.

I have some old picture I took with a cheapo Tamrom 28-200 len here:
http://web.singnet.com.sg/~iamjoven/album.htm
Hi, I am going by giuded tour. Are tripods allowed? I was thinking since I do not have 50mm/1.8, I might need to use the tripod in low light condition. Or maybe I can rent a one here!!

LK
 

whoelse

Senior Member
Oct 17, 2003
1,228
0
36
#7
Ofcos you can bring a tripod even a majong table since we are the customer but you probably do not have time to mount and take. You shd be able to take w/o flash at 1/60 for 50mm, 1/125 for 200mm w/o support and produce reasonably clear picture but then f/stop must be fast enuf -- prob with some zoom lens.

50mm prime is one of the most useful len, get one and they are optically good and very cheap.

Otherwise, a good monopod will be a good idea for fast deployment.
 

TME

Senior Member
Jan 19, 2002
6,580
0
0
41
Clementi
#8
whoelse said:
Are you going by guided tour (most likely ?!) or free and easy?
There are many places like mosque, underground palace and not allowed to use flash so bring along a fast prime len. 50mm good enuf for these situation. Bring a good zoom for visiting acient cities etc.

The cloud there are normally cloudless, mild blue. Being dry and this time of the year it can be quite cold at night. Because of cloudless sky, the nitesky is simply amazing!!! If you can find a complete darkness place (alot of space are w/o light so no prob), you will see a nitesky full of stars and very bright too. Most of these have cloudlike think surrounding these stars with is mindblowing. I try setting long exposure like 30min zooming 300mm len to have the star paint the film but my battery fail to withstand the time. That is why I got a all mech. shutter slr now.

You see alot of bright colored architect like deep red, blue, yellow etc and really make everything look so nice. Orange sunset, mile and mile of gaint sunflower and sunflower field and at time you see hours of sunflower even travelling in a coach.

I have some old picture I took with a cheapo Tamrom 28-200 len here:
http://web.singnet.com.sg/~iamjoven/album.htm

Great shots..... u scanned the prints? How did u get rid of the white flare that occurs when u scan prints? What film u use?
 

TME

Senior Member
Jan 19, 2002
6,580
0
0
41
Clementi
#9
Koh Li Kuan said:
Hi, I am going by giuded tour. Are tripods allowed? I was thinking since I do not have 50mm/1.8, I might need to use the tripod in low light condition. Or maybe I can rent a one here!!

LK
If u like bright and saturated shots like a postcard.... use Fuji film...
 

whoelse

Senior Member
Oct 17, 2003
1,228
0
36
#11
TME said:
Great shots..... u scanned the prints? How did u get rid of the white flare that occurs when u scan prints? What film u use?
Flare? I think maybe I prefer matt paper so it reflex lesser. Scan with some cheapo ancient Scanmaker 300dpi scanner.

Taken many years ago with Kodak Gold 100 I think. Like you have said, use Fuji!!!

The paris one I took them on Fujit Sensia 100 and especially the Tokina 17mm ATX PRO. The sky are so much vivid and deep! I took 22 rolls of film for that France 98 Worldcup trip and if I print direct from slide will make me bankrupt. These you see are cheapo transfer from slide to negative then print to paper. So you can tell the color and resolution loss and somemore scanned with flatbed scanner.

If you look at the slide, they are fantastic. The last time I check my slide, think all of them have fungus grow on them already...

These pictures anyhow take one, I just started photography and was one of my first/second shoot. Dare not show ppl here in clubsnap even, haha.
 

TME

Senior Member
Jan 19, 2002
6,580
0
0
41
Clementi
#12
whoelse said:
Flare? I think maybe I prefer matt paper so it reflex lesser. Scan with some cheapo ancient Scanmaker 300dpi scanner.

Taken many years ago with Kodak Gold 100 I think. Like you have said, use Fuji!!!

The paris one I took them on Fujit Sensia 100 and especially the Tokina 17mm ATX PRO. The sky are so much vivid and deep! I took 22 rolls of film for that France 98 Worldcup trip and if I print direct from slide will make me bankrupt. These you see are cheapo transfer from slide to negative then print to paper. So you can tell the color and resolution loss and somemore scanned with flatbed scanner.

If you look at the slide, they are fantastic. The last time I check my slide, think all of them have fungus grow on them already...

These pictures anyhow take one, I just started photography and was one of my first/second shoot. Dare not show ppl here in clubsnap even, haha.
Not bad..... at least out of 22 rolls got some gems.... hahaha....... I took 17 rolls also got a few... but never scan the prints cos too lazy...... and also I prefer gloss prints..... so the reflection is horrible... one reason why I want to go DSLR..... so that people can critique my work online..... now a bit hard..... no chance to go to SEED...
 

coke21

New Member
May 12, 2003
706
0
0
42
East
Visit site
#13
Think you should try to bring a tripod along. You will need it especially when you visit the mosques and the churches, the interior is quite dark and you need the tripod to capture the magnificent interior and the dome structures.

Bring a flash along also.

Filters will be a big plus in catching the beatutiful sunsets.....
 

fruitybix

New Member
Nov 1, 2002
484
0
0
West
Visit site
#14
Hi Li Kuan, how are you? Glad to know you are going for a trip!

Anyway, suggest you forget about taking the whole bag, just stick to the 10D, 1 wide angle and one mid-zoom lens (28-80mm). Actually, i would just go with the wide angle zoom.

Forget about the the tripod, or any other "good to have". This is a trip more to relax and to take some scenic shots, after 1 day for walking, you will be hard-pressed to even lug the 10D around, let alone the other stuff.

Have fun!!
 

TME

Senior Member
Jan 19, 2002
6,580
0
0
41
Clementi
#15
coke21 said:
Think you should try to bring a tripod along. You will need it especially when you visit the mosques and the churches, the interior is quite dark and you need the tripod to capture the magnificent interior and the dome structures.

Bring a flash along also.

Filters will be a big plus in catching the beatutiful sunsets.....

That would make it a very very light tripod... like those $40 ones... filters are light..... so hahaha...... ok lar...... but what filters do u need to capture sunsets?
 

coke21

New Member
May 12, 2003
706
0
0
42
East
Visit site
#16
TME said:
That would make it a very very light tripod... like those $40 ones... filters are light..... so hahaha...... ok lar...... but what filters do u need to capture sunsets?
Well guess a couple of polarizers and skylight filters should do just nice....

Light tripod also can lah....at the most use the timer function lor...better then nothing.


You should see the stained glass....oooo....
 

whoelse

Senior Member
Oct 17, 2003
1,228
0
36
#17
Trust me lah.
Either you have no time to setup the tripod or u probably dun get to use it.
Polorizer is a must, esp the cotton cloud and blue sky.
But then, no harm to bring as many gear as you like oso (^_^)
 

coke21

New Member
May 12, 2003
706
0
0
42
East
Visit site
#18
whoelse said:
Trust me lah.
Either you have no time to setup the tripod or u probably dun get to use it.
(^_^)
Why wouldn't you have time to setup your tripod?
 

whoelse

Senior Member
Oct 17, 2003
1,228
0
36
#19
no time one lah, very rush and many site journey are like 2hrs.
see my above message lor.
 

TME

Senior Member
Jan 19, 2002
6,580
0
0
41
Clementi
#20
whoelse is correct..... guided tours promise u buffet but u get very little time at each place. In some cases, it might just be a stop-over for 30 mins.... u won't have time to setup tripod and then shoot what u want. Better to just point and shoot. I prefer free and easy actually.... a bit OT here.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom