What equipment to use for capturing sports day

intergraph

Aug 5, 2011
Hi guys, just wondering what kind of lens is suitable for sports day? any tripod or flash needed if for outdoor activities? please advice... :)

depends on what kind of sports you will be shooting. Generally sports involve action/movement so a tripod may restrict your movement.

its like a family sports day. just some outdoor games. so which range of lens is recommendable?

intergraph said:
its like a family sports day. just some outdoor games. so which range of lens is recommendable?

How far would you be from the action? And what lenses do you currently have?

wont be too far away, 18-105 , nikkor 35. intending to get one more for multi-purpose...

A lot of pro sports photographers shoot basketball/soccer/volleyball from the sideline using the 70|80-200/2.8 on a tripod.

I would vote for a 70-200mm f2.8 VRII. You could rent one first to try out.

hmmm any smaller recommendation?? lol

smaller = in size? try primes...(generally smaller), but the primes in the region 300mm isn't what I will refer to as smaller....you have to try shorter ranges ones..

Last edited:

Smaller? As in budget or size?

If in good light, I guess 18-200mm would be enough or try the new Tamron 18-270mm, pretty sharp and very very versatile lens.

really depends how well you know the game, the teams and the venue.

If you are referring to those sports day in the sunny outdoor field type of event, a 18-2xx lens will do the job. For those held at indoor venues, i recommend at least f/2.8 lens and do take note of the iso.

Unless you are the type to machine gun, for indoors i recommend Raw.

Last edited:
Any tele lens will do, and I think your current lens (18-105) is good enough..
Or probably you could consider renting the mighty 70-200/2.8
No point buying those expensive tele lens if you never use it again after 1 event

intergraph said:
wont be too far away, 18-105 , nikkor 35. intending to get one more for multi-purpose...

If you are going to be quite near then the 18-105 will do fine in good sunlight.

yup smaller as in size....
okay... so 18-105 should be fine for this case? Its just a small outdoor open space, about the size of maybe 2 basketball courts...

If you have the liberty of getting really close, I would suggest getting a wide angle. I personally like using wide angle and didn't really use a telephoto lens for a sports day I shot recently.

well.

who or what are u shooting for?

if its for urself, just any camera and general walk about lens will do.

if its for someone else, ask what kind of shots they require. ur equipments should cater to the needs of what u will be shooting.

it shld not be the case where u ask for a lens recommendation, just to realise it might not fit what is required. u waste ur time, u waste ur money renting/buying a lens u wont use.