What equipment should i get next?

Which equipment do I get next?

Results are only viewable after voting.

priser

Oct 20, 2007
hey guys, i wanna ask all the old birds in here:
i currently have a 550d with battery grip, 18-55mm kit lens, 50mm 1.8 II and a 10-22mm.

im planning to get either a 24-70mm/17-55mm lens or a nissin 866 flash.
which one should i get first? the lens to replace my kit lens or the flash?

P.S. i know the debate of either getting a 24-70mm or the 17-55mm for a crop framed body.

but i need advise strictly on the topic of lens OR flash first.

thanks in advance!!!

Looking at your lineup now, I suggest selling your kit lens to get the 17-55 f2.8 1st. Then get a speedlite later.

Looking at your lineup now, I suggest selling your kit lens to get the 17-55 f2.8 1st. Then get a speedlite later.

ahh ok. so its the lens first. thanks chengpenguin!

I would prefer to get a flash first.. there are some tricky situations where flash may prove very useful.. besides, ur kit lens is very capable.. don't underestimate it..;)

I would prefer to get a flash first.. there are some tricky situations where flash may prove very useful.. besides, ur kit lens is very capable.. don't underestimate it..;)

so Diluted votes for flash! ok this might turn out to be a 50/50 thread! interesting!!!

ive started a poll so that we can track how this thread progresses!

so Diluted votes for flash! ok this might turn out to be a 50/50 thread! interesting!!!

ive started a poll so that we can track how this thread progresses!

What WE would purchase has NOTHING to do with YOUR needs. It's only you who would know if you're limited in terms of lenses, flash, body, etc.

I think the limit here is skill and your own understanding of what you need.

What WE would purchase has NOTHING to do with YOUR needs. It's only you who would know if you're limited in terms of lenses, flash, body, etc.

I think the limit here is skill and your own understanding of what you need.

at least i would a slight understanding of what the SENIORS and EXPERIENCED ppl here would take the next logical step based on what i currently have.

at least by saying they would get a lens (example) they would hopefully explain why they choose that path. Likewise for the flash.

Based on the advice given, I will then do my OWN assessment of what I would then need.

at least i would a slight understanding of what the SENIORS and EXPERIENCED ppl here would take the next logical step based on what i currently have.

at least by saying they would get a lens (example) they would hopefully explain why they choose that path. Likewise for the flash.

Based on the advice given, I will then do my OWN assessment of what I would then need.

That's the whole point. The SENIORS and EXPERIENCED people would take a logical step based on where, for THEIR OWN needs, or for their next shoot, they see a gap.

There is no magic "first get this, then this, then this" progression. You should always use your own assessment. Shopping by consensus is pure nonsense and illogical.

For example, what value would it be to you if someone said "well, I'm going to design a shoot with multiple off-camera strobes so I'd get a nissin" vs. "I'm going full frame so I'm getting a 24-70" vs. "I need the 2.8 aperture so I'll get the 24-70" vs. "I would not get anything and just learn to master my current gear and find out for myself what is limiting me" vs. "The kit lens is crap!!! Get the 17-55" vs. "The kit lens is not bad, maybe upgrade your body instead".

Last edited:
I would recommend a flash first, but that depends on what you shoot, and more importantly, your style of shooting. If you like to shoot only with available light (some people do), then a flash is useless for you. I'd say that generally, for events, flash first, especially since you already have a fast aperture lens (50/1.8). Also, since you have money for a 17-55, just stick with Canon flashes, they communicate better with the body than third party flashes. Flash power isn't everything.

Yes, what you need next is very much up what kind of photography you are into.
Photography is not a fashion statement; i.e. you buy what others buy.:nono:
Or follow trends......
It is an expression of yourself in pcitures.
Each SENIORS and EXPERIENCED ppl have their own liking and dislike on things they take.
Thus, buying depends what they need next.

Ask yourself what you like to take next or learn next and buy what you need, unless you win TOTO or loaded....... Then buy Zeiss or Leica:bigeyes:.....

i shoot more of street photography and sometimes sports that vary from outdoors to indoors to night.
i realise that there is no step 1, 2, 3 of getting and equipment. but right now i have been sitting on the idea of either a flash or a lens for a very long time and still can't decide.

reason for me wanting to get a flash:
due to me sometimes doing some indoor photography, my lenses are not fast enough. except for the 50mm 1.8f. with the help of the flash, i can hopefully compensate for lack of speed that the kit lens provides.

reason for getting a lens:
to replace my kit lens to get a faster lens which HOPEFULLY after lotsa training and trial and error, be able to shoot decent photos without a flash indoors. it can also be used when i go for holiday which at the moment, im using the 10-22. however i dont go holidays that often. prolly average of 1 1/2 yrs once?

at least i would a slight understanding of what the SENIORS and EXPERIENCED

Rashkae, i just read back the post and i din mean it in such a way that says that you are not a senior or experienced.

the internet can't convey tone and i sincerely apologise if you have taken it in that way.

im a noob and any advice for me is good advice. haha.

Get the flash, because in some situation even the best lens will not be able to capture the light

Get the flash, because in some situation even the best lens will not be able to capture the light

ouh thats a good point. i honestly din think of that. haha!:hammer:

Both 24-70mm or 17-55mm are f/2.8, fast but not fast enough. It is only half a stop from your kit lens at 18mm.
Eventually, you will want a fixed lens for its quality and faster lens like those f/1.4.
So, see which focal length you use most and buy that focal length with the biggest f/stop. If you are unsure, try out on your kit lens first to see which focal length you use most. You may need to get a few eventually.
If still not sure, get the flash first and slowly find out.

Frankly, your 550D can use on high ISO with your kit lens or you can use it on a tripod.:)

Both 24-70mm or 17-55mm are f/2.8, fast but not fast enough. It is only half a stop from your kit lens at 18mm.
Eventually, you will want a fixed lens for its quality and faster lens like those f/1.4.
So, see which focal length you use most and buy that focal length with the biggest f/stop. If you are unsure, try out on your kit lens first to see which focal length you use most. You may need to get a few eventually.
If still not sure, get the flash first and slowly find out.

Frankly, your 550D can use on high ISO with your kit lens or you can use it on a tripod.:)

But the f2.8 is useful at the long end, not the wide end. At 50mm, f2.8 and f5.6 are 2 stops apart, which means that to achieve the same shutter speed, if I'm at ISO 800 on my f2.8 glass, I'm at ISO 3200 with my f5.6 glass. Which is a lot of difference.

My own experience is flash first if you think the places you take photos allow using flash.

True that 2.8 is 2 stops faster than 5.6 but there might be situations whereby you need a certain depth of field (e.g. 5.6 and above) then having a 2.8 lens isn't going to be as helpful as having additional source of light.

Or say you need a flash to freeze movement...Why not use the inbuilt flash first for now go out to shoot and see if you are comfortable with using flash?

I think it depends on what kind of photographer you are (and many have alluded that only you know yourself previously). From the type of shots you usually take (street), I may even suggest getting a mid telephoto zoom to complement your existing one, or one superzoom for convenience.

Why not flash ?
1) Your camera already comes with usable flash for most everyday shots (indoors and out),
2) flash for indoor sports is not proper
3) You have a 'fast' prime lens/good camera for many good 'flash'less indoor use
4) (steep) learning curve to master flash photography

i shoot more of street photography and sometimes sports that vary from outdoors to indoors to night.
i realise that there is no step 1, 2, 3 of getting and equipment. but right now i have been sitting on the idea of either a flash or a lens for a very long time and still can't decide.

My own experience is flash first if you think the places you take photos allow using flash.

True that 2.8 is 2 stops faster than 5.6 but there might be situations whereby you need a certain depth of field (e.g. 5.6 and above) then having a 2.8 lens isn't going to be as helpful as having additional source of light.

Or say you need a flash to freeze movement...Why not use the inbuilt flash first for now go out to shoot and see if you are comfortable with using flash?

I've noticed from my style of photography, i rarely or try not to use my inbuilt flash, even when the place is extremely low light. I, however, do not own a monopod or tripod. So, unless I really die die need to use my flash (in which cases, put on table, breathe in and hold breath, rest my elbow on my thigh all cannot only then i will use my flash. Even then, i find the images produced with the in built flash are extremely harsh and spoils the feel of the photo for me).

considering this, does that mean I'll be wasting my money if i get the flash?

if u mostly do indoor photography do get flash.. else get lens first IMO