What equipment for Chek Jawa?

UncleFai

Mar 10, 2010
Singapore
Going to Chek Jawa for the first time soon.

What kind of lens should I bring? Telephone prime? Zoom? Macro? Monopod? CPL?

Have to consider weight...

Thanks in advance!

Yeah, What subject do you even want to shoot first?

depends on available light you will be shooting under.

an Tamron 18-270mm would work well for general shooting in good light if weight is a premium. Light enough to be used handheld as well although bring a tripod if you intend to do landscape as well. The lonely tree there is a very popular subject.

crystal1993 said:
What do you plan on shooting?

Never been there so don't know what's good there. Birds, insects, flowers, landscape, I interested in them all. Portraits too but I assume that won't be the prime reason for going to Chek Jawa.

I guess shd think more towards nature like landscapes, birds etc. If weight is a concern then prolly an all purpose lens Tammy 18-270 or canon nikon 18-200 type then macro lens. Lighting may be an issue so maybe a flash.
Another way is to search for info on chek jawa n anticipate which subjects are available for shooting and falls within ur interest and decide on e lens to bring ^^

my overseas lens... 18-105 and a 35mm prime hahahaha =x

luckyorange said:
my overseas lens... 18-105 and a 35mm prime hahahaha =x

Ubin = overseas har?

use macro lens, search for those tiny crabs to shoot. its more of an interesting subject to shoot i find.

Never been there so don't know what's good there. Birds, insects, flowers, landscape, I interested in them all. Portraits too but I assume that won't be the prime reason for going to Chek Jawa.

Will you be at beach/water level or on the boardwalk?

Boardwalk, standing height is about 10-15ft to the seabed. Bring suitable zoom to be able to work from 30-50 ft. The longer, the more area you can cover but tripod is something to consider with longer lens. Macros will be quite useless here.

At beach/water level, macro, primes, short zooms will be useful. If you trip, everything goes for a dunking. You be stepping on stones, weeds, mud and all sorts of stuff on the seabed, don't be too sure you won't trip. Not sure if you're allow to do this anymore.

Insects - there are no insects out at sea save for those blown out - bad choice of place to find them.

Birds, another animal and lens adventure. There are large brown kites(?). If you're lucky you can catch one swooping in to pick off a fish, seen that quite a few times. But you won't see them near at low tides.

Polarised filters will come in handy for water reflections.

Go on days with 0.2 or lower tides, else you'll only see water. Likely times when this occurs are sunrise and sunset times 5-7 o'clock.

Bring sunblock, hat and have fun.

Last edited:
Will you be at beach/water level or on the boardwalk?

Thanks for the advice Bro! I following a group so no idea what they are doing - plus never been there so don't know what's available to shoot. But it's a "whole day" affair - so I assume will walk around quite a bit.

Exactly, I am worried if I bring too much stuff and too heavy, slip and fall in the sea - DIE!

I think I will keep it simple and take it as a "recce" trip - my standard D7k + my trusty Tammy 18-270. Next time then will know what I need to bring.

UncleFai said:
Thanks for the advice Bro! I following a group so no idea what they are doing - plus never been there so don't know what's available to shoot. But it's a "whole day" affair - so I assume will walk around quite a bit.

Exactly, I am worried if I bring too much stuff and too heavy, slip and fall in the sea - DIE!

I think I will keep it simple and take it as a "recce" trip - my standard D7k + my trusty Tammy 18-270. Next time then will know what I need to bring.

Maybe a macro too? Since your tamron's got the tele range. Don't think tri/monopods are needed since you're walking about.

Ask your self what you really can do well instead of what you maybe could do. If you feel your landscape pictures are good then grab the lenses for that and go. Come back with good pictures instead of a collection of everything that is only so-so and in between you are busy changing lenses. On such a walk don't try to cover everything, you cannot. Also, do consider how the group will walk. If you have some 'runners' in the group they won't stop for your macro setup with tripod.

Thank you all for your advice. Octarine was right. End up no chance to use the 105mm macro I brought. Feels pressured to keep up with the rest of the group. 80+ persons aren't going to wait for me to snap photos. One thing thoug from the broad walk it seems impossible to setup a macro shot anyway. The crabs and mudskippers are too small and far away. Anyway, now I know the place and what to expect the next time :)

Thank you all for your advice. Octarine was right. End up no chance to use the 105mm macro I brought. Feels pressured to keep up with the rest of the group. 80+ persons aren't going to wait for me to snap photos. One thing thoug from the broad walk it seems impossible to setup a macro shot anyway. The crabs and mudskippers are too small and far away. Anyway, now I know the place and what to expect the next time :)

why not go alone?

boat trip: 5 bucks per ride

bike: 2-3 bucks... make sure the breaks are working

grab a map from visitor center, prepare loads of water... ur ok to roam urself:)

allenleonhart said:
why not go alone?

boat trip: 5 bucks per ride

bike: 2-3 bucks... make sure the breaks are working

grab a map from visitor center, prepare loads of water... ur ok to roam urself:)

Yeah, will definitely do that. But it was a good recce trip.