what equipment can you suggest I get?

Farizangel

Dec 19, 2012
Singapore
Hi im new to photography.. I would like feedback on camera equipment..

I currently am using:
Canon 7D with a EFs 15-85mm
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
Canon Speedlite 430EX II

I like to take pictures of weddings, cosplays..

Questions:
1. What equipment would you suggest I get to have a better experience in photography?
2. Canon 17-40 L lens... shoud I consider this?
3. Speedite.. upgrade it to 580EX II or 600EX?
4. If I want to begin landscape photography, is my current equipment good for it?

Any comments would be appreciated...

I personally think that your current equipment is already good enough

I currently am using:
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
Canon Speedlite 430EX II

Questions:
1. What equipment would you suggest I get to have a better experience in photography?
4. If I want to begin landscape photography, is my current equipment good for it?

1. None. You are only lacking skill and experience.
2. Nah, no need.
3. Keep the one you have.
4. Get a tripod.

Thanks... hmmm tripod... which one should I get?

Thanks... hmmm tripod... which one should I get?

Up to you. We have about 500 "recommend tripod" threads. Plus stickies about it.

Ok..thanks rashkae...

Another question after poking around in the forums.... filters... should I get a polarized filter? Which brand?

Ok..thanks rashkae...

Another question after poking around in the forums.... filters... should I get a polarized filter? Which brand?

Get one if you need it. As for brand, see the sticky dealing with filters.

TS: if you need to ask for it, don't step into any shop. You will only fall prey to eager sale men.
Read the sticky threads, make yourself familiar. Define budgets and needs (not wants).
And also for you to ponder: why do you want to 'begin landscape'? Cosplay got boring? What drives you? Genres in photography are not like exercises for driving license which you need to fulfill and get points for it. Some genres require expensive equipments, others don't even need what you have right now.

Farizangel said:

I currently am using:
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
Canon Speedlite 430EX II

Questions:

1. You don't need equipment to have better experience, which i presume u mean more experience. You just need to spend time. People often think that getting a new equipment without first reading more about it? Think about your question on polariser. Why do u even think about getting it?

2. You don't need it. 17-40 is narrower than 15-85 plus the maximum aperture of f4 is slightly smaller than the maximum aperture of 15-85 at the wide end. You could argue that it is larger than f5.6, but only slightly so. You are considering this because it is L or for other reasons?

3. I've seen other people shooting wedding and events with 430ii. Doesn't seem a problem judging from the photos i saw. You know, it is really about who's the one using it.

4. I've seen people shooting decent landscapes with kit lens. In fact, some of the photos in Landscape Photographer of the Year are made using kit lens 18-55 or 18-135.

Octarine said:
TS: if you need to ask for it, don't step into any shop. You will only fall prey to eager sale men.
Read the sticky threads, make yourself familiar. Define budgets and needs (not wants).
And also for you to ponder: why do you want to 'begin landscape'? Cosplay got boring? What drives you? Genres in photography are not like exercises for driving license which you need to fulfill and get points for it. Some genres require expensive equipments, others don't even need what you have right now.

Very good qns for ts to think about. And the thing u need to spend most in most genres of photography is actually time. Time not just in shooting, time also spent in reading up, watching video, looking through photos made by others and thinking through in your mind what works and what doesn't for each photo (and not just "wah damn nice, okay what lens do i need?").

Very good qns for ts to think about. And the thing u need to spend most in most genres of photography is actually time. Time not just in shooting, time also spent in reading up, watching video, looking through photos made by others and thinking through in your mind what works and what doesn't for each photo (and not just "wah damn nice, okay what lens do i need?").

Ive been reading...
Top 100 tips and tricks 4th edition
David Busch - Mastering digital slr photography
Better Photo guide to Digital Photography
Mastering Wedding photography
Trick Photography and Special Effects
500 Poses for Portrait Photography
Rick Sammon's HDR Photography Secrets

After every shoot I did review on my shots. How to make it better.. how to bring out the best in cosplay e.g. how to make that beautiful pictures in weddings e.g. Should I tell the subject on hw to pose? Or should I ask them to be themselves?

And equipment wise... I just dont want to be unable to keep up with my demands.. faster focus.. better images.. or maybe Im just not used to my equipment yet..

And lastly... photo editing.... A MUST?

And equipment wise... I just dont want to be unable to keep up with my demands.. faster focus.. better images.. or maybe Im just not used to my equipment yet..
Likely the latter one. Skills an overcome equipment limitations, but no lens will help if the skills are limited.
And lastly... photo editing.... A MUST?
You have done portraits and still ask this question? :) - The question is: what do you want to achieve in terms if image? This will decide what needs to be done. If it needs editing then so be it. Forget all gibberish of self-proclaimed 'true photographers' who condemn any form of image editing. They are as fake as it gets - because even the darkroom in photo labs is already a form of editing. Every frame got its smaller or bigger portion of adjustments during processing and printing.
Unless you are bound by certain industry rules (CSI and similar) or genre rules (e.g. photo journalism) there is no limitation to editing. Important is that you convey your message or fulfill the requirements of the assignment / hiring.

try some indirect lighting for fun .

buy trigger + receiver
buy light stand + hotshoe holder
buy shoot thru umbrella

all for around a hundred dollars if aiming for budget. :)
should be quite entertaining.

try some indirect lighting for fun .

buy trigger + receiver
buy light stand + hotshoe holder
buy shoot thru umbrella

all for around a hundred dollars if aiming for budget. :)
should be quite entertaining.

Hmmm okay... will think about it! Im still not confident bout lights and shadows...