What else could i do after shooting for some time?

lexjunjie

Aug 3, 2011
Woodlands
hi fellow clubsnappers,

been shooting landscape for some time,
:D being a NSF currently, im thinking what else could i do to make full use of my off days?

cuz i would wanna go into commercial photography next time and and trying to ask for directions now...

any fellow clubsnappers can guide me ? :D

Thanks!

Are you shooting for the sake of shooting and utilizing the gear? Or.. are you shooting to create images? If you feel that you have sufficiently explored one topic (something I boldly dare to doubt) you could venture into other topics, e.g. portraits, streets .. Or you could join competitions to compare yourself against others. If you can score in competitions I'm sure you can also sell your pictures.

hi fellow clubsnappers,

been shooting landscape for some time,
:D being a NSF currently, im thinking what else could i do to make full use of my off days?

cuz i would wanna go into commercial photography next time and and trying to ask for directions now...

any fellow clubsnappers can guide me ? :D

Thanks!

First off... join available outings from clubsnap, many of the members are professionals and they might share a tip or two with you, which will greatly benefit you in future... most of the outings are in Saturday which I believe would be your off day (at least 10 years ago when i am in the army, we always book out on Friday and come back on Sunday).

there are many types of commerical photography, like product photography/fashion photography/stock photography/architectural photography.

which are you looking at?

Are you shooting for the sake of shooting and utilizing the gear? Or.. are you shooting to create images? If you feel that you have sufficiently explored one topic (something I boldly dare to doubt) you could venture into other topics, e.g. portraits, streets .. Or you could join competitions to compare yourself against others. If you can score in competitions I'm sure you can also sell your pictures.

ya good idea! been using the same setup for sometime and exploring landscape! thanks for the advice!

First off... join available outings from clubsnap, many of the members are professionals and they might share a tip or two with you, which will greatly benefit you in future... most of the outings are in Saturday which I believe would be your off day (at least 10 years ago when i am in the army, we always book out on Friday and come back on Sunday).

thats a lil hard to coordinate cuz im on 2 days on and 2days off, thats y the timings are hard to meet :(

there are many types of commerical photography, like product photography/fashion photography/stock photography/architectural photography.

which are you looking at?

hi sir, looking at fashion, portraits, weddings or even help out as photographer's asistant.. LoL! :D

Go visit photo galleries under wedding or reportage to see other photographers' work. Get a fren be your model to practice portrait shooting?

Prehaps it's time to have a self-evaluation of your skills. Go through your own collections of photos and pick out those
photos that you are most satisfied with and do your own critique. See if you able to identify why the photos looks good
to you, and how they can be improved if given the chance. Then maybe take a look at other people's portfolio, and see if
you are up to scratch. First ask, can you do what those people can do? Then consider how you can do even better (This is
important if you want to be a commercial photographer).

There are endless things that you can do in photography. Get out of your comfort zone and try other techniques that you have
never done before. For landscape photography, have you tried:
- Extreme long exposures?
- Infra-red landscape?
- Night landscape?
- ICM (Intentional Camera Movement)?
- Strobist landscape (Light painting)?

Prehaps it's time to have a self-evaluation of your skills. Go through your own collections of photos and pick out those
photos that you are most satisfied with and do your own critique. See if you able to identify why the photos looks good
to you, and how they can be improved if given the chance. Then maybe take a look at other people's portfolio, and see if
you are up to scratch. First ask, can you do what those people can do? Then consider how you can do even better (This is
important if you want to be a commercial photographer).

There are endless things that you can do in photography. Get out of your comfort zone and try other techniques that you have
never done before. For landscape photography, have you tried:
- Extreme long exposures?
- Infra-red landscape?
- Night landscape?
- ICM (Intentional Camera Movement)?
- Strobist landscape (Light painting)?

those are really cool techniques bro! will try those out when im free! especially the lightpainting part. but jus wondering how could i get to the commercial side doing portraits or even event covering.. like how do i actually start that... hmm