What effects can i achieve just with my oly 2040 alone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylelam77

Apr 7, 2002
Los Angeles
Visit site
Read that long exposures and small apertures can give u the star effect at nite. What else is there? Say with short exposures and big aperture?? lol.. Dun know wat i asking also but hoping to learn more. Read up on dpreview's definition of exposure and all that but never say much abt effects leh. Want to find out without using filters how to achieve all these effects. Thanks!!!!

Tweek

Jan 17, 2002
East
www.weekai.com
Originally posted by kylelam77
Read that long exposures and small apertures can give u the star effect at nite. What else is there? Say with short exposures and big aperture?? lol.. Dun know wat i asking also but hoping to learn more. Read up on dpreview's definition of exposure and all that but never say much abt effects leh. Want to find out without using filters how to achieve all these effects. Thanks!!!!
There are not many effects you can play with, the most common ones will be depth of field and the star effect.

DOF is affected by the aperture size, the larger the aperture the shallower the DOF, means there will be more background blur. Note that this is regardless of whatever shutter speed u use.

The star effect is achieved by a small aperture, and shutter speed or length of exposure does not affect at all. It's just that usually when you use a small aperture, you have to use a long exposure anyway.

Fast shutter speed can be used to freeze motion, like the water droplet shots posted all over clubsnap.

Slow shutter speed lets you blur motion, for e.g., the nice silky effect of flowing water. Or abstract shots of motion blur of pple, cars, etc etc etc.

Slow shutter also lets you take those lightbeam shots, where you get streaks of light that trace the locus of the car headlights.

Slow shutter (not too slow) lets you do panning shots, where you follow through with the motion of car during the shot, and the car will appear sharp but there will be motion blur in the background.

That's about the common "effects" you can achieve by playing with shutter speed and aperture. Of course there are more to be explored.

kylelam77

Apr 7, 2002
Los Angeles
Visit site
Woah! Thats some effects. Thanks for the explanation! Will remember all these and explore some more.:rbounce:

Jayan

Jan 18, 2002
Hougang, SG
Visit site
Originally posted by kylelam77
Woah! Thats some effects. Thanks for the explanation! Will remember all these and explore some more.:rbounce:
Enjoy ur DC! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.