What DSLR to get with $2000 budget?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Need your recommendation of DSLR with budget of $2000. Possible to get one between 8mp to 10mp? I'm looking at one that can allow me to produce quality images for large format printing eg banners / posters.

TIA!

wa....long time no hear from you liao.. how are you ? won the lottery, ah ? :bsmilie:

AhV said:
wa....long time no hear from you liao.. how are you ? won the lottery, ah ? :bsmilie:

What lottery? If really win, then I will get Canon 1D MII liao :bsmilie:

Been very busy...so I disappeared from the photography scene for a while...now trying to make a comeback! ;p

My company wanna get me a DSLR, so I'm just looking around for one that is value for money.

vivientan said:
What lottery? If really win, then I will get Canon 1D MII liao :bsmilie:

Been very busy...so I disappeared from the photography scene for a while...now trying to make a comeback! ;p

My company wanna get me a DSLR, so I'm just looking around for one that is value for money.

oic ;) ...but based on your needs... not enuff budget le.... not forgetting money to buy lenses ? you still M user ? bought the D cam yet ? :)

D200? i think D70s is in your range. 350D is 8.1MP but D70s only 6.1, D200 is above 2k. haha do some research bah. you don't look like a newbie at all =)

AhV said:
oic ;) ...but based on your needs... not enuff budget le.... not forgetting money to buy lenses ? you still M user ? bought the D cam yet ? :)

Yes! I'm totally loyal to M! Would love to get the 7D, but it's only 6mp. Thus not sure if it's able to meet my imaging needs.

Me? Still film user lah :bsmilie: I'm primitive...but guess will have to be forced to go digital once my company gets the DSLR

wow, seems like a lot of ppl in this forum getting dslr. heh, with your budget, definitely can get a reasonably good cam.

Koelsch said:
D200? i think D70s is in your range. 350D is 8.1MP but D70s only 6.1, D200 is above 2k. haha do some research bah. you don't look like a newbie at all =)

Yup, did consider D200, but it's really way beyond my budget. :( My colleague suggested Sony DSC-R1 which is 10mp but not DSLR lah.

I'm just being plain lazy, so just asking around for recommendations :bsmilie:

8mp
Olympus E500 / E300 / E330
Canon 350D

10mp
Sony R1

Depending on what you're shooting and what you already have, I think you only have the above list to choose from unless you're willing to consider the 2nd hand market?

TMC THE PRO! Will never go wrong with his words. but it's always personal preference and since you need digital printings. 350D is a very good choice within your budgets. R1? did consider it when i started sourcing cameras in last year's sitex05 but it didn't seem to be a very good camera compared to others. and the price ain't very worth it. but it does have a very cute LCD screen =D

i've since decided on getting an entry level dSLR d70s which is the best for my novice level and learning in the first place =)

D200 is the way to go
if not D70s should be able to make it as well
can't really tell when you stand a meter away to look at the banner / poster

Who you calling a pro? I use a professional camera but I am not a professional user. Newbie at best.

Seriously at 6mp will work as well, just that you have more steps to take to make a banner size poster.

vivientan said:
Yes! I'm totally loyal to M! Would love to get the 7D, but it's only 6mp. Thus not sure if it's able to meet my imaging needs.

Me? Still film user lah :bsmilie: I'm primitive...but guess will have to be forced to go digital once my company gets the DSLR

buy a 5400 scanner... still got change... :bsmilie:

vivientan said:

I'm also still a film user but shooting slides can be very challenging and the quality is awesome.

Why not add a bit more to you budget and get the 20D?

TMC said:
Who you calling a pro? I use a professional camera and I am a professional user. Newbie at best.
WOW... :what: :bigeyes:

vivientan said:
Hi all,

Need your recommendation of DSLR with budget of $2000. Possible to get one between 8mp to 10mp? I'm looking at one that can allow me to produce quality images for large format printing eg banners / posters.

TIA!
Seeing so many remarks, has anyone seen a huge poster of a shot with a 5mp D1X? A 16Base film scan is only 3000x2000=6mp. So I am sure that 6 mp is enough but more would be better. If you already have investment in Minolta system, then go for the 7D but do bear in mind that KonicaMinolta has sold it's digital camera division to Sony. What is Sony going to do with it is going to be a question mark.

As for Canon and Nikon, either the 350D and D70s would fit your bill. Don't be too bothered by the 8mp or 6mp, if you do a calculation, it is only a 15% increase in linear resolution. Useful but not essential. If you're going to shoot with it, just have to make sure you're comfortable with the handling. If you haven't tried them out, go and try both before making a decision.

If your company do allow you to stretch your budget a little, then you could consider the D200 or 20D.

Status
Not open for further replies.