What does this photographer use?

rains

May 1, 2005
Hi,

I would like to set up a home studio for my own use.

In reference to the video below,

1) Can anyone tell me what kinda light is the photographer using ie. strobe or continuous?
2) If possible, please help me hazard a guess at the size of the soft boxes.
3) What kinda brand of softbox and light does the photographer look like he is using?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrOEaYPpNl0

Pardon me if I am asking for the impossible. I really like the lighting and am at my wit's end at guessing his gear.

Thanks!

Hi,

1) Can anyone tell me what kinda light is the photographer using ie. strobe or continuous?
3) What kinda brand of softbox and light does the photographer look like he is using?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrOEaYPpNl0

Pardon me if I am asking for the impossible. I really like the lighting and am at my wit's end at guessing his gear.

Thanks!
#1, strobe, you can see it flashes.
#2, it should be four feet square softbox.
#3, does it really matter? is like asking same question of what camera he uses? Nikon or Canon?

Hi,

Thanks!

Does it matter what brand of softbox or light the photographer is using. Do you think that if you get the same brands of lights and soft box you will magically shoot just like him?
:bsmilie: ;):nono:

i suggest if you have not, go rent a studio or join a studio shoot a few times and also get a feel of what inventory is needed

IMHO for softboxes, get as big as you can afford

dont forget the reflectors, backdrops, snoots, spare fuses/bulbs , the various clamps and stands and triggers/receivers too

if you go China-made and 2nd hand on some non-electrical/electronic things ........ $2000 should be a very safe number with some change leftover

See Mass Sales section of this forum

good luck !

Last edited:
actually, there is a rule of thumb of what sizes of softbox to use, it is ...

as the same size as your subject, if far bigger than your subject. the light can be even softer and wrap around,

but too small, you don't get the softness of light.

#1, strobe, you can see it flashes.
#2, it should be four feet square softbox.
#3, does it really matter? is like asking same question of what camera he uses? Nikon or Canon?

Thanks, catchlights!

#1 - Really? I didn't see the flashes. I thought the flash came from his camera's flash.
#3 - I read up on softboxes and it seems to me people have a preference for the brands. Some softboxes seem to be of a better quality - softer light, can be tilted at different angles etc. This photographer's softboxes seem to be very good, so I thought I could get some suggestions on what he was using.

Yep, I have to agree on this. The bigger the better and different soft boxes with different accessories will make a lot of difference to the pictures produced. But before anything, knowing how to light, and what effects to get is far more important than in trying to 'grab' the right equipment.

actually, there is a rule of thumb of what sizes of softbox to use, it is ...

as the same size as your subject, if far bigger than your subject. the light can be even softer and wrap around,

but too small, you don't get the softness of light.

Does it matter what brand of softbox or light the photographer is using. Do you think that if you get the same brands of lights and soft box you will magically shoot just like him?
:bsmilie: ;):nono:

Like I said in my reply to catchlights, I think the brand of softbox does matter. If not you won't have so many people going for Profoto.

I am not asking to shoot like him, but I think imitation is a good way to start sometimes. :)

i suggest if you have not, go rent a studio or join a studio shoot a few times and also get a feel of what inventory is needed

IMHO for softboxes, get as big as you can afford

dont forget the reflectors, backdrops, snoots, spare fuses/bulbs , the various clamps and stands and triggers/receivers too

if you go China-made and 2nd hand on some non-electrical/electronic things ........ $2000 should be a very safe number with some change leftover

See Mass Sales section of this forum

good luck !

Thanks for the suggestion, but why doesn't the photographer in the video need so many things? It seems to me he only had two softboxes, a camera with flash and a backdrop.

At the beginning of the clip can already see there were 2 soft boxes mounted to each side of the baby.

I could see that, but I didn't think they were flashing.

Like I said in my reply to catchlights, I think the brand of softbox does matter. If not you won't have so many people going for Profoto.

I am not asking to shoot like him, but I think imitation is a good way to start sometimes. :)
able to understand the quality of lights and create it is far more important of finding the "right" softbox.

or should I say, "understand the quality of lights" is the theory that should come first, "create it" is the method, "right softbox" is just a tool.

Thanks for the suggestion, but why doesn't the photographer in the video need so many things? It seems to me he only had two softboxes, a camera with flash and a backdrop.

What he had was already sufficient to create the baby images. As mentioned by others here, you have to understand how the usage of light (and modifying it) bring about the desired end result.

The digital era bought about a learning style of "see and imitate". The film era was about "observe to comprehend" since the result is not seen immediately.

Different brands softbox would also mean different materials being used. Yes, there is a difference in quality but i am sure the same applies to using different accessories. But the real issue 2 different photographers using the same equipment may still produce output of different quality. Thus, does it really matter since a lot depends on how the photographer does the job?

Imitation is a good way to start, true. But you need to know the basics first.

Like being able to tell that the flash is coming from the soft boxes for starters. I haven't come across people using continuous lights with pop up flash yet, sorry, maybe I am very suaku.

About different kinds of minute differences in light coming from different soft boxes, sorry, I am not at that level yet. I am still using my china soft boxes. Maybe if you are at that level you can enlighten us?

btw, the 'continuous' light you see coming from the soft boxes seems like modelling lights. but maybe I am wrong. What do I know? For all I know, the photographer is really using continuous lights with his pop-up flash. And oh, the thing jutting out of the back of the soft boxes look like strobes to me.. or maybe I am wrong too...

Last edited:

What ed is suggesting is to get those things to prepare your inventory for any lighting situation. so you can grab whatever you need, when the situation calls for it. Don't tell me you will only buy when you find out you need something?

And I did not see a flash mounted on the camera. did you?

Keeping it as simple as possible is what I would do.

Last edited:
Imitation is a good way to start, true. But you need to know the basics first.

Like being able to tell that the flash is coming from the soft boxes for starters. I haven't come across people using continuous lights with pop up flash yet, sorry, maybe I am very suaku.

About different kinds of minute differences in light coming from different soft boxes, sorry, I am not at that level yet. I am still using my china soft boxes. Maybe if you are at that level you can enlighten us?

btw, the 'continuous' light you see coming from the soft boxes seems like modelling lights. but maybe I am wrong. What do I know? For all I know, the photographer is really using continuous lights with his pop-up flash. And oh, the thing jutting out of the back of the soft boxes look like strobes to me.. or maybe I am wrong too...

I never claim to know anything, if you had read my posts properly. And I never compel anyone to respond to me. I think it's only decent to reply in a polite way if you intend to reply at all. Don't have to be sarcastic and make fun of newbies' ignorance. I am ignorant and I am open about it. If you cannot stand my ignorance, you can always ignore my thread, you know?

If I am already at 'that level', I won't be asking questions. I'll probably be a replyer and use the same sarcastic tone with you.

Is it an irreversible mistake that I didn't know that the flash comes from the softboxes? Given my limited understanding about cameras, I always thought that only flash can create flashes. Is that alright with you?

Last edited:
What ed is suggesting is to get those things to prepare your inventory for any lighting situation. so you can grab whatever you need, when the situation calls for it. Don't tell me you will only buy when you find out you need something?

And I did not see a flash mounted on the camera. did you?

Keeping it as simple as possible is what I would do.

As a matter of fact, I only buy things as and when I need them. I don't go and buy without understanding why I need it just to find out I don't need them actually. Maybe you are at the level where you can just buy without knowing, I wouldn't know, would I?

I never claim to know anything, if you had read my posts properly. And I never compelled anyone to respond to me. I think it's only decent to reply in a polite way if you intend to reply at all. Don't have to be sarcastic and make fun of newbies' ignorance. I am ignorant and I am open about it. If you cannot stand my ignorance, you can always ignore my thread, you know?

If I am already at 'that level', I won't be asking questions. I'll probably be a replyer and using the same sarcastic tone to you.

Is it an irreversible mistake that I didn't know that the flash comes from the softboxes? Given my limited understanding about cameras, I always thought that only flash can create flashes. Is that alright with you?

As a matter of fact, I only buy things as and when I need them. I don't go and buy without understanding why I need it just to find out I don't need them actually. Maybe you are at the level where you can just buy without knowing, I wouldn't know, would I?

Am I making fun of you? If you read it that way, maybe you feel some insecurities on your end.

Very experienced pros like catchlights already told you very early that it is strobes that are installed at the end of the softboxes... and yet you can go... I don't think they are flashing.

Many folks here mentioned that you should understand lighting before going for brands. And you responded that different brands of soft boxes affect the way the light is.

If you second guess the pros who are already trying to help you, aren't you saying you know more than them?

I am sorry but I did not make fun of you. You made fun of yourself. ;)

I am just putting what you are saying back to you, in a blunt direct non-sugar-coated fashion.

peace.

Last edited:
Am I making fun of you? If you read it that way, maybe you feel some insecurities on your end.

Very experienced pros like catchlights already told you very early that it is strobes that are installed at the end of the softboxes... and yet you can go... I don't think they are flashing.

Many folks here mentioned that you should understand lighting before going for brands. And you responded that different brands of soft boxes affect the way the light is.

If you second guess the pros who are already trying to help you, aren't you saying you know more than them?

I am sorry but I did not make fun of you. You made fun of yourself. ;)

peace.

What I really meant was you were being unnecessarily sarcastic. I was clarifying my doubts, not 'second guessing' the pros. If I didn't clarify them, I would still be thinking that only flashes can emit flashes. I am not questioning their professionalism. I don't just take answers as they are. Perhaps you do, but I don't.

I am not being insecure. What's there to be insecure about something I don't know about anyway? I didn't have to admit that I didn't know that softboxes could emit flash, but I did it anyway because I am open to learning about it.

For the record, catchlights deduced that they were strobes because of the flashes, not because of something installed at the end of the softboxes. So I wanted to clarify if the flashes came from the camera since I noticed that the flashes came about only when the photographer clicked on the camera.

I am willing to be told that understanding lighting is important, but I will never disregard brands for anything because brands have a reason for their existence. It's just like telling newbies that any camera will do, the more important thing is to understand what the camera does for you. It doesn't really help a newbie by telling them any camera will do because it really doesn't do.

Even before I typed out my thread, I was wondering if it could invite any rude remarkers and I didn't think even genuine questions could trigger sarcastic replies. I don't understand the thrill about trouncing newbies at their threads when they are groping in the dark.

Despite knowing that there are some people who persistently just want to be rude, I still post up this thread because I really want to learn something. And I have.

Thanks to all who have humbly shared what you know! (Although I would very much want this thread to continue so that I can get more out of the sharing, but when there are rude users around, I know it's time to end it.)

Last edited: