What does it takes to become a press photographer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i don't know about you, but normally the people i know, know me as well

that ppl that know me, but i don't know them would help someone they know

ppl who make the effort to know u are more inclined to kiss up to u than ppl u made the effort to know. :D

All in one photographer ?

I thought the photographer just need to come up with photos...

The article will be done by the writers and journalist ?

Today, we journalists also must possess the knowledge of photojournalism. We're the ones coming up with the story idea, interviewing our subjects, writing the story, taking the photo (if its not too much of a hassle) and presenting it in software ready to be published.

And its no easy, hocus-pocus quick fix given all these technological advantages because newsrooms are bent on axing staffers as online medium grows in popularity.

Also, given this economic slump, SPH has already freeze hiring journalists, what more about photojournalists.

If you ask me, to qualify as a photojournalist, you'll definately need to have a general degree in any discipline from a recognized; local university, photography knowledge and awards of commendations.

At best, you must possess substantial knowledge on laws abridging press freedom on an international level. Being knowledgeable in current affairs, too, helps.

Likewise, you can always query in for an intern position with SPH and see how much you enjoy life there.

My 2 Cents,
Wen Hui.

Why dig up a 2 year old thread?
(oh by the way ur info up there, yup, it sort of represents the current climate now for photojournalists. :) )

Last edited:
Send resume to HR depts, they will keep for 6mths up to god knows when. The trade off is this.... The bigger the company, the faster they trash your resume.

As for connections, it's a pretty "forever" thing, well at the very least, as long as your connections remembers you.

So, get out there and network abit more, it will do you good. You never know who u r gonna meet in these ever so boring networking sessions....

BTW, as for the degree thingy, I dun quite agree. I know of a former chief photographer from one of the local english newspaper.... As far as i know, he doesn't have a degree.... He's now very much into doing free lance work and have several major accounts under him....

And, yes, he's enjoying his job much more than before.... So, think about it, it may appear glamourous or even prestigeous(within the photography circle) to be known as a press photographer, but at the end of the day are u aware of the "sai kang" behind these jobs? More than often due to confidentiality agreements which companies make employees abide by, no one out there dares to talk about the ugly side of their job....

Another factor is one's ego.... There are always ppl out there who are very face-concious(face it, u r in lion city). They want nothing but to see their friends being green with envy about their careers....

U may argue that, hey no thats not true, I always complain to my friends abt my job. But hey deep down inside, dun u always want your friends, when talking abt you say something like this: Oh that XXX, I heard that he's doing great as a press photographer, earning XXX each mth, oh how i envy him.....

Or, do u prefer hearing this: Oh that XXX, I heard that he's some small fry photographer at the press drawing a miserable salary each month. Now that advertising revenues are falling steadily, i bet he's gonna lose his job in no time....

Seldom see our local press advertise recruitment ads for photographers.

So how does the current press photographers got the job ?

Through head hunt ?

What qualifications are required ??

Thanks

Not sure if this has been asked before..

So pardon me if its a repeated question. :)
Simple. Just get PRESSED, to become a PRESS photographer. Haha.

Ok i'm kidding. I think you need to be a professional photographer, plus you need a good photograph resume and a some good contacts in the company.

GMAN

Simple. Just get PRESSED, to become a PRESS photographer. Haha.

Ok i'm kidding. I think you need to be a professional photographer, plus you need a good photograph resume and a some good contacts in the company.

GMAN
not entirely true. i know of a few press photographers who are hobbyists and become press photographers.

Status
Not open for further replies.