What does it mean by 'bokeh'??

Status
Not open for further replies.

changjin

Deregistered
Jun 19, 2006
hi. I'm back again with question :bigeyes: I saw some pro dai gors saying portraits very nice bokeh. what is bokeh? has it got to do with 'go geh'?? :bsmilie:

Means lack of teeth, in some cryptic colloquial slang of unknown origin. :)

changjin said:
hi. I'm back again with question :bigeyes: I saw some pro dai gors saying portraits very nice bokeh. what is bokeh? has it got to do with 'go geh'?? :bsmilie:

try to ans as best as i can:
bokeh refers to the intentionally out of focus area of your pic....
to blur out all the distractions from your main subject.

bokeh is the best thing to get out of using a DSLR or a SLR system....
digital compact very hard to achieve good bokeh when taking potrait shots, in fact super difficult....

SLR or DSLR is the easiest way, and not necessary expensive.
the 50mm f1.8 is a cheap and good option to experiment with what is bokeh....
they really give you a pro look to your potraits....

erictan8888 said:
the 50mm f1.8 is a cheap and good option to experiment with what is bokeh....
they really give you a pro look to your potraits....

I agree. Try using f1.8 and go near to subject. Sure blur..hehe

solarii said:
Means lack of teeth, in some cryptic colloquial slang of unknown origin. :)
AFAIK, 'bokeh' is from Japan word, meaning is fuzziness. I might be wrong. Anyone can clarify this?

Regards,
Arto.

Wa, this question came out alot of times in clubsnap already.

If I'm not wrong, bokeh is a well focused subject, but a blur background blended in. And I also heard that prime lens give better bokeh than zoom lens. Correct me if I'm wrong. The word came from some japanese word meaning out of focus areas for the lens and is closely related to the circle of confusion.

Yeah.. bokeh means intentional blurring of background while the subject remains well in focus. Usually achieved using long lens and/or large aperture.
Makes the subject look really good.. coz the main focus of the eye will be on the subject. :)

changjin said:

Cloner :sticktong

Artosoft said:
AFAIK, 'bokeh' is from Japan word, meaning is fuzziness. I might be wrong. Anyone can clarify this?

Regards,
Arto.

Bokeh is indeed a japanese word... it means blur.

Status
Not open for further replies.