What does it mean by 0.45x for lens on G11?

krisietong

Feb 26, 2010
Hi everyone,
I am looking at add on lens for G11. What it means by the following specification for the lens?

1. 0.45X Wide-Angle Lens (Built in macro lens)

2. 2.0X Tele-Photo Lens

The focal length of a G11 is 28-140mm (35mm equiv). So if i get the 0.45x wide angle lens, I can get the focal length to be 28x 0.45mm= 12.6mm (35mm equiv)?

Thanks in advance!

HI There,

Yup, you got it right. The 0.45x multiplier ill give you a wide angle. However, you need to check if the conversion result in a fish-eyed effect. It may or may not end up to be something you might picture it to be. best to try it out.

Be aware that those are usually the "Vitacon" add-on lenses designed for video. Many shops will try to sell them to you for waaaay too much money, and they usually severely degrade image quality.

I was just looking at the offers from eBay. Where can I get those kind of wide angle conversion lens and the lens adapter in Singapore?

Hi everyone,
I am looking at add on lens for G11. What it means by the following specification for the lens?

1. 0.45X Wide-Angle Lens (Built in macro lens)

2. 2.0X Tele-Photo Lens

The focal length of a G11 is 28-140mm (35mm equiv). So if i get the 0.45x wide angle lens, I can get the focal length to be 28x 0.45mm= 12.6mm (35mm equiv)?

Thanks in advance!
0.45x is just a value printed on the wide angle conversion lens. It doesn't gurrentee you a 12.6mm focal length.
Anyway, those things are lousy 0.45x with macro are freaking lousy and a waste of money, unless u are willing to spend a good amount of money to get something like this:
Raynox HD-7000PRO High Definition Wideangle Conversion Lens 0.7x
http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/digital/g7/index.htm

Else, save the money and a few steps backwards.

As for telecoverter, do take note on which focal length will the vignetting disappears.

What are the lens I can look at for wide angle for G11 with the adapter?

it is my suggestion that you look at better brands.

maybe a raynox....? not sure about those though.

personally, i would steer clear of that sort of thing. if want wider, get a cheap dslr and a 10-20. ;)

Did you even bother to click that link?
So long mounting thread is the same size, they can be used.

personally, i would steer clear of that sort of thing. if want wider, get a cheap dslr and a 10-20. ;)
So long u bought the right thing, it is ok. I am very happy with the fisheye converter I have for my camera. Extremely good image quality, but made my camera extremely heavy as well. :)

So long u bought the right thing, it is ok. I am very happy with the fisheye converter I have for my camera. Extremely good image quality, but made my camera extremely heavy as well. :)

ah, i see.

i would suspect that good converters do not come cheap - take for example the raynox macro one, that costs a load more than most other equivalents, and it is *generally* superior.

ah, i see.

i would suspect that good converters do not come cheap - take for example the raynox macro one, that costs a load more than most other equivalents, and it is *generally* superior.
Yeah, my fisheye RRP is $800... so...:sweatsm::sweatsm::sweatsm:

"Lens more expensive than body":sweatsm::sweatsm:

Did you even bother to click that link?
So long mounting thread is the same size, they can be used.

Ic cos i saw it was for G9.

Actually I am considering btw a DSLR and prosumer cam. Tts y I am checking the versatity of adding lens to G11.

Actually I am considering btw a DSLR and prosumer cam. Tts y I am checking the versatity of adding lens to G11.
I am using Powershot S5 IS btw.
20fa56ca.jpg

If u r buying a camera for bokeh, I suggest going straight to DSLR. Anyway, DSLR UWA or Fisheye lens gonna cost near $1K also. :/

I am using Powershot S5 IS btw.
20fa56ca.jpg

If u r buying a camera for bokeh, I suggest going straight to DSLR. Anyway, DSLR UWA or Fisheye lens gonna cost near $1K also. :/

Aiyo.. I would like to take landscape pixs. Let me go look ard den decide.
Thanks everyone for the advice.
Btw, wats Bokeh?

Last edited: