What does HDR means?

Status
Not open for further replies.

orionct

Jun 24, 2009
While browse through the forum and other site, this term called HDR keep popping up.
I check wiki and it meant HDR- High Dydamic Range http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging
but after reading, i still do not quite understand what is it ?

At the end of the day, is it some kind of software?
if i do post photo editting using photoshop or any software to adjust the contrast, sharpness, color hue, saturation, does it consider HDR-ed?

Thanks for sharing in advance ...:D

hdr involves a certain type of program, which attempts to merge more than one photograph to expand the dynamic range of the photograph.

technically speaking, not expand, but to compress, but that's just semnatics and not very important.

hope this helps.

night86mare has already explained what HDR is.
The background behind it is due to the fact that the human eye can detect a much larger dynamic range (from dark to bright) in one scene than a DSLR can.
For example if you stand under the shade of a tree, you can still see the grass clearly even against the bright sky.
But the camera exposes for either one, causing the shaded area to be terribly dark, or the sky to be overblown.
What HDR generally involves is taking multiple exposures of exactly the same scene in a 'bracket', then you combine these photos in software to bring out the relevant details.

Hope i'm clear enough and have not mis-informed you.

Thanks night and zero, it is clearer now for me...
so what kind of programs or software you guys refering to? can show me?

according to what you guys said, i need to do a exposure braketing at the same scene, let said taking 3 photo at one time with different exposure compensation, then use the software to extract out the detail ...etc, right ?

basically,

1 underexpose + 1 normal + 1 overexpose = HDR (of cos using software to combine the 3 photos)

thats roughly what i know of.

i used to use photomatix

these days, i use DRI (dynamic range increase)

this involves using layers in photoshop to manually erase according, same starting material , i.e. few different pictures with diffferent exposure.. but much more work, and more realistic results.

Didn't know this has been extensively discussed before :thumbsup:

Chances are, ANY general photography term or technique has already been extensively discussed before. That's why one of the forum rules is to search before you post.

With the similar concept of layering photo shots with multiple exposure to do HDR, you can also do one with only one exposure. People do this usually to combine scenes. If you have a subject and wishes to duplicate it ot make multiples of it all in different position within a photo you can employ a tripod and instruct or place the subject at the desired locations. Shoot one frame each and merge.

yup you are right. Just have to make sure that the exposure and white balance do not change from shot to shot.

Someone did it recently for the Asian Youth Games

Chances are, ANY general photography term or technique has already been extensively discussed before. That's why one of the forum rules is to search before you post.

Fully Agree!

Status
Not open for further replies.