zhang3feng

Dec 27, 2005
SG
www.zhang3feng.com
Hi can anyone enlighten me?

what does the term "GREY" set means?

like eg "grey set flash/body"???

thank u!!:D

Parallel import from other countries instead of going thru the local authorised distributor. Like TCW get stock from overseas instead of Nikon/Canon SG and selling, normally will not have warranty.

zhang3feng said:
does that make grey sets a disadvantage??
Well... Yes and no.

They are generally cheaper, though of course you do not enjoy the benifits of the warranty provided by the local agent.

However, I would say that if you take good care of your equipment, they shouldn't fail on you, so unlikely you'd use the warranty. So if you want to save those few hundred bucks, then you may get a grey set... ;)

oh i c...

well.. im a really poor fellow currently seeking for my 1st personal DSLR set... maybe getting a grey set would be a good idea! ;)

masterdiver .. will provide 7 days 1-to-1 exchange policy ... warranty 3/6/9/12 months

u will not get the warranty card and receipt, but u'll get masterdiver's receipt. and/or w.card..

*normally they won't give the w.card, cos other country company stamp...

By MasterDiver

Masterdiver said:
For the benefit of Newbies/those who are not sure/skeptical about "export/grey" sets, I shall explain the meaning of it in my context.

Generally, "Export/grey" items cost less than their "Warranty" counterparts.

A warrantied item is a manufacture's warranty that would be repaired by any manufacturer's authorized service facility “worldwide” if the item required in-warranty service. A "grey" item would have to be returned to any repairing shops if it required in-warranty attention for a fee. One may wish to make the buying decision based on price. One should also consider the cost of sending the "grey" item to repairing shops for servicing, compared to the expense of buying the "Warrantied" item and having warranty service available locally.

Simply put, "grey" means that the item is not covered by the manufacturer's warranty, because the manufacturer's licensed or authorized agent or representative did not import that item into the country and did not sell it to the retailer to sell it to you. These items are imported directly from the overseas manufacturer or distributor, bypassing additional distribution levels. Many manufacturers and distributors therefore coined the negative sounding term, "grey market", for this perfectly legal money-saving activity, namely "export/grey".

There is no difference between the "grey" item and its warrantied counterpart. They have the same specifications, same number of elements in the same number of groups. They were manufactured side-by-side on the same assembly line, by the same workers, to the same tolerances, using the same raw materials. They look, feel and perform the same because they are the same.

Lastly, there are no warranty cards issued as they have been taken out by the shops otherwise they would be selling you at a premium just like TCW in Singapore. There is no such thing as FOC warranty.

grey means pay less

:cool:

Sometimes I purposedly buy "grey" set because :
1. Singapore agent dont import it
2. Singapore has no stock
3. The overseas stock is of a "better quality" batch

The term originates because it is in the middle between "black" and "white", where black means illegal and white means legal.

zhang3feng said:
Hi can anyone enlighten me?

what does the term "GREY" set means?

like eg "grey set flash/body"???

thank u!!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.