What does ft means

Pinkdots

Oct 16, 2011
Hello:) I've got a new lens recently (18-200mm) however , I do not know what's the function of this particular part of the lens that has the word ' ft ' beside it. It ranges from 0.5 to infinity. Is it some focusing thing?

That's the focusing distance scale. You should also find 'm' beside 'ft'. :)

Btw, welcome to ClubSNAP. :)

It is an abbreviation for "feet". It's a measure of distance. Lots for you to read up on online.

Thank you:)
I tried to find online though. Anyway, is it only useable for manual focus ?:)

foreign talent? :eek:

just jk. as mentioned by the rest... it is indeed feet

Thank you:)
I tried to find online though. Anyway, is it only useable for manual focus ?:)

It is usable for both auto focus (AF) and manual focus (MF). Basically what it does is simply to give you feed back of how far the subject is (in ft and m) that you're focusing on. This is useful if you want to calculate DOF (depth of field) or use hyperfocusing.

It is usable for both auto focus (AF) and manual focus (MF). Basically what it does is simply to give you feed back of how far the subject is (in ft and m) that you're focusing on. This is useful if you want to calculate DOF (depth of field) or use hyperfocusing.

And also if you're using those manual flash, distance is used to calculate the aperture setting :)

And also if you're using those manual flash, distance is used to calculate the aperture setting :)

Yup that's right. Otherwise for TS, she can just ignore this scale if not using it. :)

Reading all these makes me sweat..

you can consult bonrya about feet. she is an expert on it