what does four third mean??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rysouke

Apr 25, 2009
As the topic...

hmm.. what characteristic dont you understand?? i.e sensor size etc??

i have read that before...but i still dont understand...need more simple explaination

why dont you ask this at the 4/3 discussion board here?

okay but basically:

the aspect ratio of the sensor is 4 by 3 (abit more squarish), compared to more traditional DSLR ratios of 4x6 (abit more rectangle).

using a 4/3 or m4/3 camera, the focal length and depth of field is doubled, compared to 1.5 or 1.6 in an APS-C camera.

i guess that's all you need to know.

and if i am not wrong,

4/3 = 1 1/3 hehe.

Anyway, 4/3 is a collaboration amongst a few brands to come up with a common platform.
So lenses of different brands can be affixed to different cameras.

But i think some players came out with their own 4/3rds

Anyway, 4/3 is a collaboration amongst a few brands to come up with a common platform.
So lenses of different brands can be affixed to different cameras.
I think so..

Leica works with Panasonic cameras.. Olympus 4/3 lenses can be used on Panasonic G1 camera..
Whether are they collaborating.. Nobody knows, only them.. :dunno:

I think so..

Leica works with Panasonic cameras.. Olympus 4/3 lenses can be used on Panasonic G1 camera..
Whether are they collaborating.. Nobody knows, only them.. :dunno:

The m4/3 standards is "open", but you have to join the m4/3 group. So far only Pany and Oly have bodies for m4/3.

Panasonic and Olympus are the 2 companies that are active in the micro four thirds area,but in the four thirds area,Panasonic is not as active but there is a list of companies participating in the four thirds format

I heard Samsung will be collaborating with Olympus..
But for what, I don't know. :dunno:

I don't think that is true

If I am not wrong Samsung is coming out with their own standard similar to m43.

This is more likely the case,cause they have to do a lot of legal things to collaborate with Olympus, plus they have to pay for this and that,doing on their own saves money and probably increases profit,market it as small sized body,small lens,high quality similar to full sized DSLRs, and because its sensor is bigger,there are people who might go for it,if other brands follow the same route as Samsung,they probably have more sales because the name is already there

mingjiewong said:
hmm.. what characteristic dont you understand?? i.e sensor size etc??
rysouke said:
i have read that before...but i still dont understand...need more simple explaination

TS, you haven't answered the question that was asked back at you...
What exactly are you trying to find out about the 4/3 system?
The wikipedia article is quite clear. Most of the basic technical specs are there already.
Nobody can read your mind to know what is it you are trying to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.