What does a small cup of water do in a display case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbs99

Jan 17, 2002
Singapore
www.instagram.com
As seen sometimes in collector's display cases, what does the small cup of water do? Heard it prevents mould, is it true? :lovegrin:

Not too sure. haha.

It shows the hydrological cycle? hahaha

Water evaporates from cup and condenses on the case before flowing back down.

>.< study too much geog sia..

It is to keep a certain humidity in those showrooms in shops where they use hot halogen lamps

It is to keep a certain humidity in those showrooms in shops where they use hot halogen lamps

I have heard this too, that the water prevents the air from becoming too dry. Not sure if it works though.

As seen sometimes in collector's display cases, what does the small cup of water do? Heard it prevents mould, is it true? :lovegrin:
not sure, but my guess is it is only required in air-conditioned room due the the lack of moisture... :confused:

detect earth moment? :bsmilie:

thankfully my display case uses Osram's Dot-It (not e Linear ver doh). ;p

Sorry OT.....what about those hawker stalls that hang plastic bag of water?:dunno:

Sorry OT.....what about those hawker stalls that hang plastic bag of water?:dunno:

same reason why they hang those big chillies and veg.

For ghost to eat and drink? vegetarian ghost like spicy hot stuff?

../azul123

You know you have those light flies.. I cant remember what they are officially called, but they like to fly around the lights.. Then when that happens, you put a basin of water, they will jump in and die for some reason..

You know you have those light flies.. I cant remember what they are officially called, but they like to fly around the lights.. Then when that happens, you put a basin of water, they will jump in and die for some reason..

Well there is a reason and this old fashion but very scientific way works till these day.

What attraction the flies to the light? The light. The water in the basin reflect that light...so just as they would fly to the bright light ..they also fly towards the bright reflection of the light in the water.

That's why flies got small brain and we got bigh brain and we are at the top of the food chain ! heheheh..

The cup of water acts as a humidifier. It's a physics - static electricity thing. Water vapor is a better conductor than air, preventing the dust / fluff from sticking to the showcased items (jewelery, watches etc).

If you want to go more in depth..It has something to do with the +/- charges of the items placed inside.. Things made with conductors of electricity (metal etc), if not grounded by a small wire or something, will have +ve or -ve static elec charges induced in them if they come in contact with something else with static already, like a fibrous cloth. Then all the dust will get attracted to the items and it'll be difficult to clean...

Just place a small cup of water in the display and wala! It does the job of making the cases close to dust-free.

EDIT: Lol ok. I was browsing along and I found this thread talking about the same thing that I'm trying to explain. http://clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349324 .

I do that all the time. Place a glass of water in the hotel room that is.
Each time I travel, at all times, I will place a glass of water in the room.

Hmm... why'd you want to do that? :S

Well there is a reason and this old fashion but very scientific way works till these day.

What attraction the flies to the light? The light. The water in the basin reflect that light...so just as they would fly to the bright light ..they also fly towards the bright reflection of the light in the water.

That's why flies got small brain and we got bigh brain and we are at the top of the food chain ! heheheh..
However, looking at the way we treat this planet, bigger brains doesn't equal more wisdom :)

HS

But does the method actually prevents mould, lets say vinyl exhibits like toys?
Some claim it prevents mould, but how does a small cup of water prevents mould? :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.