what do you wear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauLEE

Jun 8, 2003
North-East
Visit site
After noticing for some time, one can tell sth abt photogs by what they wear on a photoshoot.
Generally, most photogs wear t-shirt and tight jeans. The newbies usually go for "office-wears", probably pai seh or didnt want to stand out in the crowd, or maybe steal some time during their lunch break or after work. The more experienced or maybe those "ton-seah" photog will wear Black T with logos of those photo-related association/society,etc (dont know whether they actually belong or member or not!). These group are usually the more brave ones who will go and walk all over the places in an event (my gut feeling is that they are not even official photogs) and every move they made, they appear VERY professional. Dont know whether coincident or not, but this group usually got short hair/ botak look and their voice usually very strong with their "move, move", "one more", "face here" ,etc.. For event shoots, this group can be inches away from the final winners without a damn about all the poor photogs (like me) who are right behind (trying to be considerate and not block other viewers, etc). BTW, this group also almost always carry a lot of small bags.
The more matured (older) photogs would go for bemuda shorts with a T or colourful collared shirt, etc.
What and how do you wear when you are out shooting?
Juz an observation, no flaming please.

plain polo tee, khaki slacks and comfortable shoes. tote one of my gigantic crumplers. :cool:

eh wait. that's what i wear everyday anyway! ;)

For most shoots, I wear a polo shirt, with shorts or burmudas, and a pair of NIKE shoes. And not forgetting my trusting slingbag or mini backpack. :)

For serious shoots, collared polo shirt with pants, or even long/short sleeve shirt with pants and leather shoes. :sweat:

And I agree with lauLEE on those who crowd inches near the subject. After taking a few shots, still down there blocking other ppl's view. Come on, shoot a few, back out, and look for a new angle. Give the ppl at the back a chance!!! :blah: :blah: :blah:

For indoor shoot I wear dark colour polo and boxy pant.
For outdoor shoot I wear light colour polo and boxy pant.
Sometimes for emergency case, when I just rushing out from office to shoot location, I got no choice and I would be in full office attire ie long sleeve shirt and black pant.

I wear whatever is available in my 'clothing box'

:D

Astin said:
For indoor shoot I wear dark colour polo and boxy pant.
For outdoor shoot I wear light colour polo and boxy pant.
Sometimes for emergency case, when I just rushing out from office to shoot location, I got no choice and I would be in full office attire ie long sleeve shirt and black pant.

would you find it appropriate or more interesting if during your indoor bikini studio shoot, all the photogs wear swimming trunk only ... hehe
this may create more sparks and interaction with the model and the photog, thus maybe more creative results! ;)

t-shirt, cargo bermudas to store stuff in, and my trusty floppy hat

wah LauLee, you say until bermudas == matured photographers... i'm not there in terms of age yet la, though i dress the part :bsmilie:

i think discretely about what to wear - if it's gonna be hot, then it's bermudas. hey, we're in singapore mar... ;) but conversely, if it's gonna be cold, little movement for me, then i'll wear jeans + a polo-tee. if necessary, i'll add on one pullover, or worse still, one more jacket. sounds already like wrapping dumpling :bsmilie:

depending on occasion, i may or not bring along my oakleys - perched on the head, and/or my trusty cap.

and i forgot. if it's gonna be anything that's gonna be mucky, i'll wear my NS boots. otherwise i'd be wearing my chaco sandals :)

I'm very sorry if i offended anyone,

i feel that most ppl in Spore have generic dress sense. Most guys here have a standard attire of polos, bums, and some of you caps. Most lack style. You can wear the the same tee shirt but most people cannot pull off with style!

I feel that a photograher is also an artist and as young people (half of you here), you should be more experimental to your dressing. Add a dash of style to identify yourself.

I see the same colour polos, bermudas, slippers with velcro. Come on people! How do you command a certain flair in your art without first a good impression!

I say highlight your hair! Get a interesting 3/4 pants! Do something to make yourself more attactive and interesting! look up magazines for ideas!

more important for fashion photographers and ppl who meet stylists. Dress for yourself!

Belle&Sebastain said:

i feel that most ppl in Spore have generic dress sense. Most guys here have a stardard attire of polos, bums, and some of you caps. Most lack style. You can wear the the same tee shirt but most people cannot pull off with style!

I feel that a photograher is also an artist and as young people (half of you here), you should be more experimental to your dressing. Add a dash of style to identify yourself.

I see the same colour polos, bermudas, slippers with velcro. Come on people! How do you command a certain flair in your art without first a good impression!

I say highlight your hair! Get a interesting 3/4 pants! Do something to make yourself more attactive and interesting! look up magazines for ideas!

more important for fashion photographers and ppl who meet stylists. Dress for yourself!

i don't think what you have said is true at all. I think you shouldn't look at how people dress, and immediately say "this guy is boring, his photos will be too." or anything like that.

you do realise that most people here do photojournalistic-type of shooting. i do not think technical crew or press/staff photographers should dress too outlandishly; rather, they should be as incospicuous as possible.

of course, if you do studio shoots and fashion, by all means, dress like you're some artsy fartsy guy. i have no concern for what you personally choose to wear, as long as you deliver good work.

but always remember: to do good work, you have to be comfortable. so dress comfortably. whatever that means to you.

B&S, you've opened a big can of worms!!! :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Later ppl compare which L pants to wear, which ED shirt/jacket to buy. Then 70mm size too small, need 200mm size. Else red shoes no good, must wear black, etc. :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

Opps, couldn't resist, damn bored on a Friday afternoon. ;)

Must be the weather ...... *mumble mumble*

/actually sometimes am trying to be inconspicuous and not to draw too much attention. :p

Belle&Sebastain said:

i feel that most ppl in Spore have generic dress sense. Most guys here have a stardard attire of polos, bums, and some of you caps. Most lack style. You can wear the the same tee shirt but most people cannot pull off with style!

leonzhu said:
i don't think what you have said is true at all. I think you shouldn't look at how people dress, and immediately say "this guy is boring, his photos will be too." or anything like that.

you do realise that most people here do photojournalistic-type of shooting. i do not think technical crew or press/staff photographers should dress too outlandishly; rather, they should be as incospicuous as possible.

of course, if you do studio shoots and fashion, by all means, dress like you're some artsy fartsy guy. i have no concern for what you personally choose to wear, as long as you deliver good work.

but always remember: to do good work, you have to be comfortable. so dress comfortably. whatever that means to you.

Come on, I'm sure B&S is just trying to lighten up, why take it so seriously? :) :) :)

Come come come, more more more, wear wear wear, shoot shoot shoot!

Belle&Sebastain said:

sigh... i wear a t-shirt cause it's hot, i wear bermudas cause it's hot, and i wear a floppy hat cause it's.... hot. (maybe it's because i shoot outdoors most of the time, that's why it's always hot.) practical and functional over style... :thumbsup:

Belle&Sebastain said:

Some people belong in front of the lens, some behind.

Belle&Sebastain said:
The problem does not exist only in Spore but the rest of most Asia, sad to say but true, cos dress sense depends a lot on cultural influences, etc. No better how well we dress, the majority of us Asians nvr look smarter than the western ppl due probably to our facial feature, size, Sg weather, etc. Juz look at William Hung compared to the others. No offence to anyone but there must be a reason why He create Asian to be like that ... heck! Anyway dont expect Sg photogs to wear jacket/tie/smarts in their photoshoots when the majority of the watchers/participants (even paid participants) are wearing like home-wears!

Belle&Sebastain said:

Must artists wear differently from non-artists? Maybe ponytails? Goatie? Coloured hairs? I say, style is personal. We must have certain style yes, but be comfortable, that's more important. There is no need to make ourselves attractive (unless we are the fairer sex). The more important point is to be considerate and respect the organisers/hosts/performers/participants/watchers/other photogs by wearing appropriate clothings. For eg, in a Grand fashion show, dont come in slippers, etc. The organisers are trying so hard to glamourise the events and yet we have group of photogs in slippers, bermudas, etc.! no wonder some organisers are so pissed off by the casual photogs. Yes, you are rite to say that good impression is neccessary so that we will always be welcomed.
However there is no need to overdress but juz wear smartly and appropriately. Photogs are supposed to be invisible!

:thumbsup: yes!!!

but we can improve on our little touches!

lauLEE said:
The problem does not exist only in Spore but the rest of most Asia, sad to say but true, cos dress sense depends a lot on cultural influences, etc. No better how well we dress, the majority of us Asians nvr look smarter than the western ppl due probably to our facial feature, size, Sg weather, etc. Juz look at William Hung compared to the others. No offence to anyone but there must be a reason why He create Asian to be like that ... heck! Anyway dont expect Sg photogs to wear jacket/tie/smarts in their photoshoots when the majority of the watchers/participants (even paid participants) are wearing like home-wears!

lighten up people! think abt what i say.

dressing can give people a first impression, always the first impression is as important as your product! The overall packaging must be good to sustain interest.

Must artists wear differently from non-artists? Maybe ponytails? Goatie? Coloured hairs? I say, style is personal. We must have certain style yes, but be comfortable, that's more important. There is no need to make ourselves attractive (unless we are the fairer sex). The more important point is to be considerate and respect the organisers/hosts/performers/participants/watchers/other photogs by wearing appropriate clothings. For eg, in a Grand fashion show, dont come in slippers, etc. The organisers are trying so hard to glamourise the events and yet we have group of photogs in slippers, bermudas, etc.! no wonder some organisers are so pissed off by the casual photogs. Yes, you are rite to say that good impression is neccessary so that we will always be welcomed.
However there is no need to overdress but juz wear smartly and appropriately. Photogs are supposed to be invisible!

Status
Not open for further replies.