What do you used to get rid on the dust on the surface of the lens?

What do you use to get rid the dust on the surface of the lens?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

qING

Jan 3, 2006
I am thinking of getting some tools to get rid of the dust on the lens. And so far, there are two choices: blower or lenspen. I am interested to know what are you using...

Anyone got any other options? And between a blower and lenspen, which do you prefer? Why?

Last edited:
Blower is second choice. First choice is: don't bother about small dust. You can't get rid of it, it returns faster than you think. I like to take pictures, not hunting dust particles :)

agree with octarine,
I normally only clean my lens after a shoot when keeping them.
unless the dust is really irrititating during the shoot.

Blower vs lenspen,
I'll use the blower 1st, then use the brush on the lenspen for persistent dust.

Blower first. Then try brushing it off.

OK... I am quite surprised by the results. Maybe I will buy a blower :)

Blower first, brushing it off, Then try microfiber cleaning cloth.

Blower first, if dust is stubborn. 2 options usually.

1) Use t-shirt or shirt sleeve, if outside shooting.
2) Microfibre cloth on side pocket of bag.

If little more "stuck", then use lenspen. Brush first, if still stuck then use spongy end.

But generally, only use lenspen to do final clean-up before storing my lens in the Pelican case.

Most of the time, dust won't show up in picture anyway.

Blower first, as using a lenspen or microfibre cloth straight away might cause any dirt or dust on the lens to scratch the lens...

most importantly, don't clean your lens more than necessary. small dust won't affect your photos significantly. saw a lens with an insect trapped inside but the photo still came out fine! if you overclean you'll wear off the coating on the front element & put swirls and scratches on it over time.

agree with octarine,
I normally only clean my lens after a shoot when keeping them.
unless the dust is really irrititating during the shoot.

Blower vs lenspen,
I'll use the blower 1st, then use the brush on the lenspen for persistent dust.

sounds like the dust is giving you an itch in the eye~ :p

What do you do when you get dust on both the mirrors inside the body?
This happened for me with frequent lens changes during travel...

Tilt the camera down to the floor in a sterile atmosphere.. The use a blower to blow the dust off.. If this method doesn't work because there are stubborn dust stuck inside then send to service center to let them do the job for you.. Please don't try to wipe or touch the insides.. The mirror, viewfinder can be scratch easily..

One of the reasons i use disposable filters. Prevention is better then maintenance if lazy.

Use your breath and "Hah Hah" on it and then wipe off with tissue. Usually works.

If dust is on filter, then I will try blower, brush, (with lens facing down), microfibre, lens tissue, lens tissue with cleaner liquid, in that order.
If dust on lens glass element, I try blower. If I can spot the dust particle, I will gently use soft edge of micro fibre. If still doesn't work, I'll forget about it and continue shooting and only later get problem done up by camera service centre/repairer (third party, not NIkon or Canon)

1st choice... blower
2nd choice... lenspen
3rd choice... emery cloth
... no choice... then washing machine. :D

Use your breath and "Hah Hah" on it and then wipe off with tissue. Usually works.

This is interesting... I used to "Hah Har" and tissue... but I read somewhere it's no good for the coating... so I stopped... did not verify it tho.

Anyone got actual experience the the coating actually got "cleaned" as well?

blower for dust sitting on the lens then the brush on the lens pen, the cleaning side of the lens pen wld be more for smudges...

Status
Not open for further replies.