what do you use to clean your filters?

How do you clean your filters

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaiahfortythirtyone

Jul 17, 2005
Clementi
im sure many of us here use Hoya's HMC filters, and as we know, Hoya filters can be a pain in the ass to clean. a small fingerprint will turn into a sumdge, and a smuge will turn into a big glob of smuge after wiping with a microfibre cloth.

so just wondering what u guys use to clean ur filters. anyone tried using baby backside wipes? :bsmilie: someone from photo.net said its a good cleaner for hoya MC filters.

I don't use Hoyas, I use only Nikon NCs and L37Cs exclusively, so I use chamois cloth and len pen to clean.

I used to use lens pen, until it dried out

Now if I clean, I use the ultrasonic cleaner :p

ya..hoya hmc filters are a real pain. i found that they are really hard to clean when wet or damp. so what i do is was them with soap and water, then leave them on my table to dry. once they are dry i use microfibre cloth to wipe off the stains. you can also use hairdryer to blow them dry.

eng_keow said:
Pardon my ignorance, lens pen can dry out? What is an ultrasonic cleaner?

TYIA

Google does wonders....

Ultrasonic cleaner

That is if people used them more often.

madmacs said:
ya..hoya hmc filters are a real pain. i found that they are really hard to clean when wet or damp. so what i do is was them with soap and water, then leave them on my table to dry. once they are dry i use microfibre cloth to wipe off the stains. you can also use hairdryer to blow them dry.

soap and water? :bigeyes: for HMC? wont that peel off the coating?

For oil/liquid smudges I use a blotter and microfibre cloth.

If it's dust, I have a soft gun attachment I DIYed that attaches to my vacuum cleaner. That's also what I use to fixed-mount my UV/protective filters so minimal dust will get between the lens and that first filter.

My L lens come with B+W MRC filters that clean up real easy with just a blower or a dry micro-fiber cloth. The Hoya HMCs I have on my other lenses however, need abit extra and I use eclipse solution with pec pads for those. It does still smudge if you don't wipe it correctly, which is extremely annoying.

IMO, never use anything other than water

a good coating is scratch resistant

but u will never know if the chemical is going to REACT with the coating and degrade it in anyway

adamadam said:
I used to use lens pen, until it dried out

Now if I clean, I use the ultrasonic cleaner :p

What happens if it drys out? Must buy new one or just soak it in water again?

Isaiahfortythirtyone said:
soap and water? :bigeyes: for HMC? wont that peel off the coating?

so far ok. coating intact. just dun spray glass or spectacles cleaners.

heyguys, do u have a similar problem as me for my Hoya UV filters? I'm using the cheap Hoya UV Filter (does not say HMC on the filter), and when i just bought a brand new one, i saw some dust on it, and i decided to clean it with a microfiber cloth.

the more i cleaned, more "streaks" appeared. they seemed to look like oil, but this does not happen when i wipe glass or anything else?

yeah....it still has a single layer coat on it. it makes it hard to clean. i usually try to clean by rubbing in circles. takes me at least 20mins to clean if i get a bad fingerprint on it or sth.

maritimus831 said:
heyguys, do u have a similar problem as me for my Hoya UV filters? I'm using the cheap Hoya UV Filter (does not say HMC on the filter), and when i just bought a brand new one, i saw some dust on it, and i decided to clean it with a microfiber cloth.

the more i cleaned, more "streaks" appeared. they seemed to look like oil, but this does not happen when i wipe glass or anything else?
Hoya (HMC or HMC super) is like that. The more you clean it, the more you see oil on it. I am changing to B+W MRC pro. Looks it is better/strong coating and less headache.

Regards,
Arto.

Status
Not open for further replies.