What do you think of paying a model for shooting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pete2322

Oct 8, 2009
How many of you think its okay and worth hiring a model for photoshooting?

Would you thought of it's more worthwhile to view others photographers pictures who have shoot them eventhough it come across that some of your favorite models that you intend to shoot?

Or just viewing those model pictures online and if want to shoot potraits just ask your girlfriend, sister or friend for shooting?

Share your view here :).

that depends on you.

there are people here who are willing to pay for bad posing, victory signs, and act cuteness.. so long as the model sheds some layers of clothing. frankly, i don't think that's worth their money. but it's THEIR money, you know?

it depends on what you want to pull off...

some models can pose better.. and if you are making $$ from the shots... all the more should hire a model..

for me i m not so much interested in shooting humans etc so i dont really have a need to hire.. but there are some concepts such as body curves etc that one will probably need a shapely model to pull off. whilst i might be willing to pay a couple hundreds per hour to get some less clothed shots done artistically, i will not be spared a ear-twisting from my other half so.. no go.. :(

dracu.jpg

When I agreed to attend such a shoot whereby the model may not be as photogenic as you wish, I take it as an opportunity for me to test my photography & PP skill. Sometime it's maybe a good day, well others may not pass even my own critique. Even though the shot may not turn be your masterpiece (or anything to shout about) but it does provide a gauge on how you had react to adverse situation.

To me there is 2 side to a coin, most photographers joined photo shoots to add to a kind of practice and add to their portfolio well others just want to relax and have some fun on a relaxing weekend. To me if I were to shoot a model comcard or tfcd shoot, I would certainly spend more time in the shoot & PP later to try to bring out the best of the model as compared to a CS organised paid shoot.

What if it's just shoot for fun and not making any money out of it?

Would you pay just to get the pictures rather than viewing the pictures of the same models shoot by someone else?

Hiring a model for shooting is not cheap. Like you said, the less clothes they are the more expensice it is,as it's could depict the body curves and the art of human shape.

That again, shot those models few times if they're hire to shoot privately would cost you a bomb and the sum of money probably could get you a new lenses or a camera.

And, for most of us as an amateur, won't have the chance to get pay to shoot the models or least TFCD from those models( not those part timers like college student ). Thus the only way to shoot them is to PAY :-(

So let say you have $1000 to burn, would you use it to hire a model to shoot for fun or spend on lenses or camera gears?

What's your decision if you're in this position?

There's tons of xmm pictures on the internet. Just google if you only want to look at pictures. It all boils down to your real purpose for shooting.

Looks like most people here are throwing out the question back to me?

I am asking for those photographers who pay the model for photoshoot, what's their reasong of doing so. This includes those pay for non comercial 1 to 1 photoshoot.

I'm hoping we can share our thought here of your reason doing so.

as for me,
i prefer to just kidnap friends and shoot them 1 on 1...
don't really like the idea of sharing models, later my photos same like other people.. ( and paying some more... )

as for me,
i prefer to just kidnap friends and shoot them 1 on 1...
don't really like the idea of sharing models, later my photos same like other people.. ( and paying some more... )

At last get a different response. But are you serious?

If yes, then you're very lucky to have a model as your friend ;)

I'm sure if you ask your friends, some of them would be willing to model for you in return for your photos... I'm like you, I don't really see a point in hiring, unless that girl really has something special to her.. but YMMV. Or if it's for an assignment. And personally, I've only seen one or two special on CS so far :) (Minus the foreign imports)

Last edited:
I don't think any 'real model' would be willing to do that for free for most of the amateurs :-(

It's depend, if the model need to update his/her comcard. The easiest method is to do a TFCD with a Photographer. It's benefit both the PG & the model.

So let say you have $1000 to burn, would you use it to hire a model to shoot for fun or spend on lenses or camera gears?

It actually depend very much on the genre of shoot that you are doing, if you are interested in shooting macro, event & candid shots than there would not be a need to go for a model photo shoot.

I had friends that "burn" more than a $1k on model photo-shoots just to built up his portfolio. During those shoot, all the lighting equipment & props (including wind machine) is provided by the organiser and season models who know their best angles and know how to pose in-front of the camera. Tips & advise on the camera setting & composition were also given during the shoot, hence basically the PG need only to "press" the trigger. In most cases these shots would turn out to be fantastic. Personally to me it's when the condition that is less than favorable that I learn to overcome the difficulty.

Just my 2 cents of thoughts. :)

At last get a different response. But are you serious?

If yes, then you're very lucky to have a model as your friend ;)

i'm pretty serious...
it's not that i'm lucky to have model as my friend, but i don't think you need a model friend to shoot friend right, anyone can do.. i think...
anyway maybe more than half model in cs is as amateur as a ordinary random friend... cmiiw...

as the $1000 i prefer to use the money for equipment investment or use for something else...

How many of you think its okay and worth hiring a model for photoshooting?

Would you thought of it's more worthwhile to view others photographers pictures who have shoot them eventhough it come across that some of your favorite models that you intend to shoot?

Or just viewing those model pictures online and if want to shoot potraits just ask your girlfriend, sister or friend for shooting?

Share your view here :).

I dont see any problem with hiring model for photoshoot, moral or legal wise,
as long as you dont have any hidden agenda.
As a matter of fact, not everyone have friends that are very willing to do it FOC,
rather than spend time to persuade them and end up owning them a favour,
i rather pay for it. (at a reasonable price of course)
As money is at stake, at least it make me improve as i dont enjoy paying :bsmilie:

Looking at other's photo is one thing, practicing my own skill is another thing though.
Anyway, guess its only human to want to 'own it' or 'learn it' in this case, rather than looking at others' end product.

I dont see any problem with hiring model for photoshoot, moral or legal wise,
as long as you dont have any hidden agenda.
As a matter of fact, not everyone have friends that are very willing to do it FOC,
rather than spend time to persuade them and end up owning them a favour,
i rather pay for it. (at a reasonable price of course)
As money is at stake, at least it make me improve as i dont enjoy paying :bsmilie:

Looking at other's photo is one thing, practicing my own skill is another thing though.
Anyway, guess its only human to want to 'own it' or 'learn it' in this case, rather than looking at others' end product.

Oh at last I got some serious replies :cool:

Anson, even some model would like to update their portfolios, there would be thousands or more photographers offering this service to her, and only the best would get it. Most beginner or amateur won't have the chances of getting a TFCD from a real models( not those beginner model or part timers student cum model)

And those real model are smart, the more popular they are the more they charge. They dont care whether you're shooting for personal or commercial.

Thus that's why it would goes into use it for equipment or hiring models.

Joining paid shoot, sometimes doesn't has chances to get a good position for shooting.
And worst looks like not getting much except just shoot the model.

1 to 1 has more time and position to shoot but very costly.

Some friends if propose to shoot, some they think you're crazy, some said they have boyfriend and asked 'what's the point of you shooting me?' or ' my boyfriend wont allow me'
or 'Hey are you trying to court me?Sorry not interested you maniac!'

Status
Not open for further replies.