What do you think of a photographer who uses D70 for weddings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paul_Yeo said:
Off topic,

Hi hi,

heard that you are taking Leon's wedding. I am his colleague....thus, u will see me taking some pic there for fun.

don't worry, i dun block official photog's view :embrass:

hee hee.
no problem Paul :) in fact you may become part of the composition :D

togu said:
* togu thinks sniper very sian liao... :devil:
where got sianz... you know how I operate... I shoot whoever gets into my view :) actually this thread was brought up during a small talk with Yew Kwang and wat he said got me rollin gon the floor with laughter... hahah. I din read it in the first place till he mentioned some of the amusing things mentioned in it. :bsmilie:

judeseah said:
don't quite get u, very confusing ur post.

pple who use digital to shoot wedding MUST learn the art of using film?
why?? they r both media for recording an image.
if shoot digital, than learn digital, can?

PS makes pic look fake? ( lets call it postprocess as film user too PP )
can have some examples?
cos i can show u some film pics that look fake as well,
all becos the photog wants to improve on his work.

digital is a trend only?
my original mentor told me 135mm is a trend,
his Master told him color is a trend.
when cd was out, phonogrammer considered it a trend.
LOSERS to all of them.

'nowadays ppl edit photos like siao',
what makes u think pple don't edit( maybe not like siao ) yesteryear???

i grew up with film,
used to emulate Ansel's ways of PP BW pics.
dodge n burn, adjust the contrast, push the level, blah blah blah.
hey, they r now copied by the digital world
and found in most photo editor,
and some wet behind the ears proclaimed that its not
the art of photographing!

if someone likes to edit his photos,
and excel in it, he should not be called a professional photographer,
truly insulting,..... to him.
HE SHOULD BE KNOWN AS A MASTER!!!

for ur info,
when i was printing my BW pics (using an enlarger, u know what that is??),
i have to decide on the aperture, exposure and grade of paper for a simple pic,
post process the analog way.
not many pple do it anymore, or even know how to,
but this is progress.

btw, i still shoot film.

wa you say very long, but never understand my view, wat to do.

by the way, i noe wat is a enlarger..:)

SniperD said:
where got sianz... you know how I operate... I shoot whoever gets into my view :) actually this thread was brought up during a small talk with Yew Kwang and wat he said got me rollin gon the floor with laughter... hahah. I din read it in the first place till he mentioned some of the amusing things mentioned in it. :bsmilie:
Can bring me along? I promise I won't get in your way :embrass:

Harry Potter said:
Just curious, will you get someone who use D70 for your own wedding?

it depends on the budget the wedding couple can afford, and the calling rates the photographer is asking for. if you don't know both parts of the question, how are you going to judge anyway? what if the photog had a broken down d1x or d2x camera sent in for service, and hence has to use a d70 for that day?

you'll never know. the lenses would tell a little bit better, but still, it's an incomplete picture (pun intended).

i've only shot 1 rom, 1 solemnization, 1 actual day (for my sis' big day, as backup), 1 actual day backup for my campmate.

most of those, i was urged to do it, even though i don't think i was up to it. so i gave my friends the "warning"; which they said, ok la, carry on. so i did. resulting photos weren't much different from P&S, since i have ZERO idea of asking people to shoot.

the one that i had a good aftertaste was the wedding for my friend's sister, as a backup. the main photog used a s2, and we actually gave way to each other to shoot on the actual day; we were pretty considerate to each other's shooting - since we BOTH had to come up with something good. so we had our own field day.

about a week later, the main photog called me up; and asked a favour of me. he said while transferring the images from his cf card, he accidentally *gulp* overwrote some image files. only some were recovered. so essentially he was asking me to be his lifesaver. so i didn't complain about it and passed it to him. but i was wondering, to save him, i don't mind. but he had photos in his set, that my friend ALREADY saw... oops! :bsmilie:

ever since then, i thought it's a better idea to swear off shooting weddings and pay the "red packet bomb" instead. i attended another friend's wedding where another fellow friend of mine who works fulltime in commercial shooting, was present. he didn't bring along his camera, and just thoroughly enjoyed himself and let stanley (lim) do the job :)

smurfman said:
wa you say very long, but never understand my view, wat to do.

by the way, i noe wat is a enlarger..:)
just for laugh,
the last time i mentioned enlarger to another photographer,
he asked me is it the same one
as Austin Power's?

judeseah said:
just for laugh,
the last time i mentioned enlarger to another photographer,
he asked me is it the same one
as Austin Power's?

hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa.......:D

shahrecover said:
already made a fool of urself. be wise next time.

wats your avatar, cannot see clearly?

Professional photographer Mike Diver has this to say during an interview between him and Professional Photographer magazine about choosing between medium format and dslr:

"I'm now considering my options, and whether I should re-invest in a high-end digital back. I'm very interested in the ZD that Mamiya are about to bring the market, which is a fully digital medium-format camera.

At the moment I am using the new Nikon D70S for general purpose jobs and reference images and I'm getting superb results from it. For me the interesting thing is that I feel quality is comparable to that which I was achieving four to five years ago with a back that was 20 times more expensive, and the software is far more advanced and achieves quality closer to film.

If he can use a Nikon D70S for shoots he deem fit, what makes anyone think that wedding photographer who uses a D70 is not up to standard.

Let's learn to live with what is available to do the job and more importantly knowing the importance of photography lies in our skills and creativity, and not how much you can afford to buy the most advance technology to boost the ego.

OT a bit, I've done commercial work on both 10D and 1DS and the customer still pays the same...:confused:

Gee... this thread is still around....

Today I think, that a photographer who can use a cheapo DSLR to do a wedding for the SAME PRICE as one who uses a top of the line DSLR must be a rich photographer.

BUT a rich photographer will buy a top of the line DSLR just becoz he can.
:bsmilie:

Zplus said:
Gee... this thread is still around....

Today I think, that a photographer who can use a cheapo DSLR to do a wedding for the SAME PRICE as one who uses a top of the line DSLR must be a rich photographer.

BUT a rich photographer will buy a top of the line DSLR just becoz he can.
:bsmilie:
to add on... the rich photographer can never buy experience !!

vince123123 said:
actually my brother used Nick Goh for his wedding and the pictures didn't turn out that good too at least in my humble opinion...basic colour correction was not even done.

Hi vince123123,

Perhaps the ones you have seen are the "unedited" or the "Web-proof" versions, printed by your brother ( D.I.Y ) ? ... Do you have any mentioned samples to show ? :sweat:

My apology to you , if any of the standard is below your expectation... however, I am still curious to the Name of the Groom ( your brother ) that i had served ... :dunno:

Kind regards,
[ Nick Goh ]
www.nickgoh.com

catchlights said:
Nick Goh is using D70, package average is 1K+, whan to check out his works?

Yes, I'm using the under-rated D70 ( 3 sets ) to make my dough and mark. :lovegrin:

The rationale is simple : It give You More than you have Bargin for, and it serves my needs. Period.

For online samples of my Works please visit www.nickgoh.com

----

Btw, thank you Catchlights for all your helps and recommendations.

For those who have known Catchlights, he is One of the helpful, sincere and friendliest Veteran amongst the Wedding & Bridal Photogs, with tremendous wealth of real-life experiences...

Aqccaintance with him is a Blessing. :thumbsup:

----

Love,
NickGoh

nice thread.. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

hi to nick, seldom see u here on CS, never met u b4 too.. maybe one day. :)

I recall that they were the ones in the album, not the web proof versions nor D-I-Y printed. I'd check later.

Enchanted said:
Hi vince123123,

Perhaps the ones you have seen are the "unedited" or the "Web-proof" versions, printed by your brother ( D.I.Y ) ? ... Do you have any mentioned samples to show ? :sweat:

My apology to you , if any of the standard is below your expectation... however, I am still curious to the Name of the Groom ( your brother ) that i had served ... :dunno:

Kind regards,
[ Nick Goh ]
www.nickgoh.com

now now wats wrong with the d70...as long as it suits ya needs...be u pro or not...its the same thing...a really good photog will be able to take good shots with his d70...then can snigger at those with d2x and go "hey u use d2x ar...how come ya peekture so ugly"

understand...its the end product tt counts...

cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.