What do you think is the best equipment?

Alwinwps

May 9, 2011
Woodlands
Hey peeps.
Just wondering, what do you think is the best equipment (lens. etc) that goes with the Canon eos 550d?
I personally think street shooting is my forte.
Many thanks!

hi, Welcome to CS.

To start off with, there is no such thing as "best equipment", "one's food maybe another's poison" as in One's favorite focal length may not be another's favorite focal length.

But personally, I feel that If you do not want to be limited to just street photography, Consider the kit with 18-200 (as kit lens) which can cover "general" photography so you can also explore other areas of photography too.

But for street photography, I think it hovers from ~24mm to around ~100mm (maybe more/less...depends on preferences). I'm not able to recommend any lens here in this region.

Last edited:
Hey peeps.
Just wondering, what do you think is the best equipment (lens. etc) that goes with the Canon eos 550d?
Many thanks!

not too sure about canon lenses. but i would say a fast lens (f2.8 and below), focal length of 15mm to 50mm would be the best for street unless you like to shoot from afar.. any longer focal length will do (but the size will be a limiting factor for ur portability)

even for specific genres like street shooting, there's no fixed equipment that's best. different people have different styles of shooting.

Some photographers like to go near, some like to shoot from afar.

some like to shoot human subjects,some like to shoot architecture, some like to shoot still objects

so its best for yourself to explore the various type of equipment and use it to your advantage

Hey peeps.
Many thanks!
why don't you use whatever existing lens, probably the kit lens to do streets shooting? you will develop your style, and find out what you really need yourself.

if one says 70-200 f2.8, another one says 24mm f1.4, the third one says 85mmf1.2, so are these answers really helpful to you?

wide angle for me.. it gives quite a wide depth of field and that minimizes the time to do focusing.. street is more about capturing fleeting moments, so you need to be quick, and get in the middle of the action..

your shooting style determines the focal length that you use. some people go for 200mm, to capture the subject with a tight background and not to startle the subject, change the feel and scene.... while others like less than 24mm. which is up close and personal. sometimes the subject gives the "what the!" look amongst others.

while others use 200mm because they're scared to approach too close.

so depending on what your style is, buy the lens. by buying what others recommend, you're using their style, not yours

Bird and sports shooter will say long and fast lens.
Landscape will tell you wider.
Street people, a mix, some people prefer long perspective, some people like more personal perspective, etc etc etc blah blah blah.

Suggest you decide yourself, hearing why people like Mazda, Honda, Mercedes, BMW isn't going to help you make a decision.

In the past is Buy buy buy! I think now we should go Rent Rent Rent!
Try to rent one to test before buying is ur best shot

This might well be the best lens from canon...

[vid]IRq18WpQZC0[/vid]

street shooting ..... no need DSLR
Fast action.....Just buy Panasonic DMC-LX5GC-K or Canon S95 or G12 :thumbsup:

Purance said:
the best equipment is your pair of eyes =D

Wrong, the best equipment is your head

The blackrapid r7 strap. ;)

Not equipment but. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
the f2.8 trinity, 16-35L, 24-70L and 70-200L IS