tia

do you guys switch on the followings :-

1) Lens Distortion Correction
2) Lateral Chromatic Aberration Correction

What do they actually do?

tia

I don't switch on either because

1. They are only effective in jpg not raw and I usually shoot raw
2 I hardly ever find those problems enough to worry about anyway, and if they are there are easy ways to correct them with software later
3 When you switch them on it the processing time slows the camera right down - you wait several seconds for the instant review, for example.
4 The corrections are based on a 'standard' for each lens model. Since individual copies of lenses vary, the corrections might not be spot on for your individual lens. For example I found that the in-camera correction did not do much for the CA on my 12-24

Tim

do you guys switch on the followings :-

1) Lens Distortion Correction
2) Lateral Chromatic Aberration Correction

What do they actually do?

tia
this is where, in camera?

sounds like k-x or k-7 maybe, i don't seem to have it on k20d.

based on pentax lab settings, lens distortion correction is simply put, to correct barrel or pincushion distortion.

read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distortion_(optics)

wide angle lens tends to be barrel distortion, pincushion will be pincushion. depends on the focal lengths and lens, it will vary.

for CA , this is just purple fringing, i think.

read more about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatic_aberration

Most of the time in shoot in RAW, so I don't use them.
I can still do the above corrections in software, using Bibble 5 Pro.

this is where, in camera?

sounds like k-x or k-7 maybe, i don't seem to have it on k20d.

based on pentax lab settings, lens distortion correction is simply put, to correct barrel or pincushion distortion.

read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distortion_(optics)

wide angle lens tends to be barrel distortion, pincushion will be pincushion. depends on the focal lengths and lens, it will vary.

for CA , this is just purple fringing, i think.

read more about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatic_aberration

yup its in the cam. When either one is on, the write time is real slow about 3 secs to show on the cam screen. Doesn't really bother me but just need to know what is it for. Reading up the links provided now.

Thanks

It's not write time, it's processing time :D

yup its in the cam. When either one is on, the write time is real slow about 3 secs to show on the cam screen. Doesn't really bother me but just need to know what is it for. Reading up the links provided now.

Thanks

you can probably shoot it in raw and correct in post.

you can probably shoot it in raw and correct in post.

i dono how to use photoshop yet... I only shoot in Jpeg.:embrass:

Most ppl I talk to adviced me to use raw unless i reach the pro stage and knows what i am doing with the cam but i do not wish to spend 1 hour in photo taking and 3 hours in post editing. It will not be fun anymore...

I only use the photo editing software that comes with the KX package:embrass:

I will brush up my ever shaking hands and taking sharp photo first b4 i proceed to raw and photoshop;)

Most ppl I talk to adviced me to use raw unless i reach the pro stage and knows what i am doing with the cam but i do not wish to spend 1 hour in photo taking and 3 hours in post editing. It will not be fun anymore...

I will brush up my ever shaking hands and taking sharp photo first b4 i proceed to raw and photoshop;)

do you know, going from raw to jpg takes less than 1 minute.

you get to do loads of cool adjustments as well.

don't listen to those people, raw is lossless, jpg is lossy, and no, you don't spend 3 hours in post production, not unless you keep every single photo you take, and get too trigger happy. :)

Most of the Raw editing software, if you dont go too in depth (Pro Level I call it), some of the useful function are as easy as ABC... just slide the bar left or right, I am sure you know how to do that... I also know nuts about Adobe Lightroom... but use it to do my editing..... just slide here and there.... see happy or not, satisfy or not... else just reset and redo.... of course not do that to hundred and thousands of photo, unless got tons of time...... else very fast up lorry..... :sweat:

1h : 3h ratio is too exaggerated..

i just did ~90 shots in a 5h shoot. i didn't spend 15h in post. assuming 25% keeper rate

1h is enough to work on the keepers..

those "pros" just like to scare newbies, post processing is not as hard as they make it seem..if you want to learn, google is your best instructor :bsmilie:

Thanks guys for the tips.;)

Ya, maybe i should look into the software u guys recommanded.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.