What do you shoot using your fish eye?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumball

Jul 8, 2003
Hi,

I am thinking of getting a fish eye lens for shooting buildings and landscape. Besides these, is there any topics which I can use this lens to shoot?

Can I use fish eye to shoot portrait? ;p

Thanks in advance for you attention. :bsmilie:

Annual class photo :D
I remember when i was still in secondary.. The photos using fisheye always become favourite and 'memorable'.

If you're talking about a rectilinear fisheye lens, on a digital SLR, i find it very suitable for:

1) Landscapes/sceneries
2) Candids
3) Group shots
4) Panos

azone said:
If you're talking about a rectilinear fisheye lens, on a digital SLR, i find it very suitable for:

1) Landscapes/sceneries
2) Candids
3) Group shots
4) Panos

Thanks ST1100 , Vincent & Azone... However, the fish eys lens has only MF which is very diff to get candid shots? Am I right? Correct me if I am not.

Group photos.... will it be very funny on someone's face cos of the curve created by the fisheye.... :confused:

I was referring to those that has AF (e.g., Canon 15mm, Sigma 15mm).

For MF versions (e.g., zenitar 16mm), probably you can only use it for landscapes and still-life.

Fisheye, whether AF or MF, can be used for all sorts of application (street, candid or architecture... haven't heard or seen much that people used fisheye for landscape, film wise I mean).

I personally see no problem or difficulties in using fisheye for candid shots since wide angle lens, especially fisheye, has tremenduous amount of DOF. In other words, for most fisheye lens, anything that is beyond 1m is rendered sharp.

sumball, I suppose when you said you want to do candid, your subject should be at quite a distance away. If your subject is 1m away or more, simply set your manual focus fisheye lens to infinity, wait for the right moment and fire it away....

jasphotography said:
Fisheye, whether AF or MF, can be used for all sorts of application (street, candid or architecture... haven't heard or seen much that people used fisheye for landscape, film wise I mean).

I personally see no problem or difficulties in using fisheye for candid shots since wide angle lens, especially fisheye, has tremenduous amount of DOF. In other words, for most fisheye lens, anything that is beyond 1m is rendered sharp.

sumball, I suppose when you said you want to do candid, your subject should be at quite a distance away. If your subject is 1m away or more, simply set your manual focus fisheye lens to infinity, wait for the right moment and fire it away....

Thanks jasphotography & Azone.

Alright,... I think you guys do help me in making my decision especially
jasphotography said:
:love1:

sumball said:
Thanks jasphotography & Azone.
:love1:

haha, lately have received quite a number of love grins and kisses. :dunno:

I guess when you are blessed with a magnetic personality, this is what you have to learn to deal with... :D

azone said:

1) Landscapes/sceneries
2) Candids
3) Group shots
4) Panos

What is a 'rectilinear fisheye lens'? i thot the two are mutually exclusive...

sumball said:
Group photos.... will it be very funny on someone's face cos of the curve created by the fisheye.... :confused:

Actually group pics with a FE look more natural than those with non-FE (ie rectilinear). The FE preserves areas while rectilinear lenses preserve straight lines and distort the faces big time.

ST1100 said:
What is a 'rectilinear fisheye lens'? i thot the two are mutually exclusive...
Sorry for the confusion. What i meant was those full-frame fisheye, with 180 degrees diagonal field-of-view.

Another type would be the circular fisheye, with 180 degrees view in all directions.

fisheye for film on landscapes is good...but need to have some tall buildings at the two ends...so tt it seems to form a proper boundary,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.