What do you not like about your camera body model?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoossh

Nov 29, 2005
Singapore
I think if the response is good from users from all brands and levels, we can potentially compile them in the newbie guide. Likewise solutions can also be linked from another user.

By the way, just in case i'm not familiar with some models, please add in the brand also, i.e. Nikon D50 instead of D50.

Nikon D50.
1. AE-L/AF-L lock too far from the rear dial
2. Viewfinder too small and not bright enough
3. ISO not viewable on viewfinder.
4. Lack of front dial
5. Lack of inbuilt sensor cleaning mechanism
6. self timer button is better as a knob that i can feel the position in the dark rather than a button that i cannot remember how many times i pressed it.

Nikon D200

1. CSM switch near the lens area,easy to switch to M, will miss a precious moment!
2. Metering switch near the LCD, easy to mistakenly switch to a diff mode (single, group, dynamic/closest AF mode)
3. AE-L/AF-L metering button, can easy to mistakenly switch to (spot, 3d, center)
4. left/right Dial mode, beside the AF-ON button, easy to mistakenly change the the EV
5. No 1 touch preset scene dial (have to preprogram your own), may miss a moment when you need it immedietly
6. Camera design, may seriously cause hand and finger crams! Doesn't help when it's pretty heavy + heavy lens

I have missed some v precious moments when I accidentally flicked the switch to M a couple of times, when I least expected it. Maybe it's just me and I'm clumsy, but the positioning of these switches are really scary. I usually rest the cam on my shoulder (esp in crowds) to prevent accidential kickings, and it's REAL easy to mess up these switches, 1 wrong turn, may seriously screw up the shots! And I mean it!

D200,

#1, would be nice if can have a bigger finder eyepiece
#2, should redesign the focus mode selector, too easy to switch to manual focus mode accidentally.
#3, the rubber skin too easy to peal off after some time.

other than these, this is a good camera, nice size, nice weight, easy handling, able to shoot very long hours.

Pentax K100D

NOTHING, IT IS THE PERFECT CAMERA

Just kidding;

1) metering tends to underexpose slightly, but this is for the better
2) lcd preview not very accurate, better to base on histogram (actually this is probably a common problem for most cams)
3) doesn't show you iso being used unless you press "ok" button.. sometimes you don't do that
4) ditto for wb, but this one not so important if you always shoot in raw
5) battery door sometimes feels a bit flimsy.. making you feel overprotective over it when you're replacing batteries

that's all i can think of for now

My share: Fuji S3 Pro

Too big. I cannot chose whether i want the grip or not.
Also too big. Attracts a lot of unwanted attention.
Heavy. Weight lifting every shooting session.
A little bit slow (read/write/shot to shot). Shooting in RAW makes me roar ;(.
Irritating ISO switch. Too many twist and turns.

Can't think of anymore. There maybe other disadvantages, which doesn't really bother me. Thanks.

KM 5D

DOP preview button difficult to reach. While looking through the viewfinder, finger touching all over the place yet cannot locate it.
No original battery grip.
Unable to use the original Minolta's wireless shutter release I have for my Dynax5, have to get the wired one.
Unable to use AA rechargable batteries. My Dynax 5 can with the original battery grip.
One more...Built-in flash does not pop up automatically when needed as of the D5.

But overall still love the camera a lot, especially after seeing the great pictures it produces.

D200

batt life without grip abit short
grip not magnesium, doesnt seem to be as well-sealed as the body
difficult to select focus point when using alternate grip and shutter release, a multi pad on the grip would be nice=)
CF card door switch and focus mode switch look i like- ive opened the door accidentally when i want to switch the focus mode. happened alot of times >< but.. maybe thats just me
rubber likes to peel
VF abit small..

but these are all minor things.. cam as a whole is really nice=)

D200,

rubber grip issue.
weight

Nikon D50.
1. AE-L/AF-L lock too far from the rear dial
2. Viewfinder too small and not bright enough
3. ISO not viewable on viewfinder.
4. Lack of front dial
5. Lack of inbuilt sensor cleaning mechanism
6. self timer button is better as a knob that i can feel the position in the dark rather than a button that i cannot remember how many times i pressed it.

erm, same d50... for me its

1. Viewfinder too small and not bright enough
2. ISO not viewable on viewfinder.
3. No battery grip
4. Hate turn the scroll so many times just to zoom in during preview
5. top LED no backlit
6. eyepiece keep on dropping (lost my 2nd pieces recently :sweat:), but i do just fine without it also.

good to see such threads :thumbsup:

Olympus E510
- dynamic range (tendancy to have blown highlights)
- tiny and crammed viewfinder
- noisy mirror slap
- can't use pop up flash together with ext flash gun
- clunky live view

D7D

#1 - Kena bought over by Sony... hence everything increase price.
#2 - Downgrade of D7, no wireless flash trigger capability via the IR module and other misc capability.
#3 - Flash sync max out at 1/125
#4 - Cannot use iso flash mount accessories... will look stupid with a adaptor... for eg, mount spirit level. and adaptor cannot mount if pop up flash is up, for eg use with lumiquest pop up diffuser
#5 - Parts are hard to get replacement.
#6 - Flash cannot use SU4 mode.

no coffee maker
no money dispenser
not shaped like lin chi ling
cannot teleport
goes on and on

Nikon D70s

- small viewfinder
- small LCD
- underexposes a bit
- noisy starting from ISO 600 (for me at least)
- no metering for MF lenses
- no manufacturer grip
- no intervalometer available
- no MLU

no big deal though, i can still live with it even after more than 2 years :).

if only it has metering for MF lenses and has MLU ...

Canon's 400D

- The World famous super small handgrip..... only good for very small man/woman or children.
- It has a shutter sound that is soooo artificial.... not like Canon 40D or Nikon 80D
- View finder could be better......

D2H

1. Low resolution on the Preview LCD
2. Noisy at ISO800 at beyond
3. Rubber grip tends to peel off (especially for sweat palms)
4. No built-in flash! :bsmilie:

Apart from that, I'm happy!

What I don't like about my D80...

... its not a D3.

but seriously, the only bugbear is AF not as fast as I wish. I haven't found out other limitations, in due time I guess.

D80

1) Does not meter with my manual lenses. I can only guesstimate and shoot by histogram
2) A brighter viewfinder would be a plus
3) Missed a few moments because of the slower AF drive mechanism. I was told the rest are much faster, haven got a chance to try them
4) Noisy from ISO 800 onwards

Unless you somehow need the above features badly, D80 is a neat machine

Ryan

Canon EOS 5D

Pros:
  • Excellent resolution. Too good in fact. Resolution sometimes is too high that I have to lower it.
  • Full frame 35 mm size sensor delivers film-like shooting experience, real wide angle
  • Very large, bright viewfinder really fills your vision
  • Very low noise even at higher sensitivities
  • About a third of a stop more sensitive than indicated
  • Very well implemented large buffer supported by fast CF throughput
  • Very well built, very robust, very nice to hold!
  • Very fast in use, short shutter lag, instant startup
  • Spot metering
  • New Picture Styles make it easier to get 'ready to use' results straight from the camera
  • Wide range of image parameter adjustment (-4 to +4 for most)
  • Wide range of ISO sensitivities, ISO 50 - 3200 (with 'ISO Expansion' enabled)
  • Huge LCD monitor with great resolution, dimmer than some smaller screens
  • Soft touch shutter release
  • Orientation sensor
  • Optional WFT-E1 wireless transmitter (802.11 b/g)

Cons:
  • Edge softness / falloff / chromatic aberrations, needs good lenses
  • Pretty average automatic white balance in artificial light
  • No anti-reflective coating on LCD monitor
  • No built-in AF assist lamp

Pentax K100D

- Tungsten WB tends to be too cool, while everything else too warm for low light shots, and there isn't a WB option to set colour temperature
- Needs 2 or more button presses to get to all settings except EV
- Relatively heavy for a body of its size

Status
Not open for further replies.