What do you do with them?

SmOcKxY

Aug 16, 2010
I'm not a paid photographer and I'm not looking at going into it..but sometimes I get asked by friends to shoot some events and gatherings for them..otherwise photography for me is just capturing moments on holidays/special occasions or if I feel like it..walk around and see what I shoot..

My question is this..let's just say shooting an event..out of say 200 shots only 120 are useable..so I'll do some light editing for the 120 and pass them on to my friends..question is..do you guys keep the 80 not useable ones? Or do you keep all the shots even after you have burned them unto DVDs and pass them on?

Sometimes to get a nice photo you take 2/3 shots..and choose the best one to edit and develop..do you still keep the other 1/2 that you don't use?

I shoot mainly in RAW mode so you can imagine the photos taking up alot of space..i truly ever use like 60% of the shots i take..please bear in mind I'm asking in the capacity of an avid amateur shooter and not one who does this to pay the bills..I understand that if you are paid you prolly wanna keep everything..what are your thots on this? Or what do you personally do to those extra unused photos?

I'm not a paid photographer and I'm not looking at going into it..but sometimes I get asked by friends to shoot some events and gatherings for them..otherwise photography for me is just capturing moments on holidays/special occasions or if I feel like it..walk around and see what I shoot..

My question is this..let's just say shooting an event..out of say 200 shots only 120 are useable..so I'll do some light editing for the 120 and pass them on to my friends..question is..do you guys keep the 80 not useable ones? Or do you keep all the shots even after you have burned them unto DVDs and pass them on?

Sometimes to get a nice photo you take 2/3 shots..and choose the best one to edit and develop..do you still keep the other 1/2 that you don't use?

I shoot mainly in RAW mode so you can imagine the photos taking up alot of space..i truly ever use like 60% of the shots i take..please bear in mind I'm asking in the capacity of an avid amateur shooter and not one who does this to pay the bills..I understand that if you are paid you prolly wanna keep everything..what are your thots on this? Or what do you personally do to those extra unused photos?

Really up to you if you want to delete or save it.

I do understand that..just wanna see what is the general consensus is regarding this..not exactly asking for any advise on what to do..heh heh! Maybe you wanna share your own thots towards this? On how you handle the unused photos?

Last edited:
I do understand that..just wanna see what is the general consensus is regarding this..not exactly asking for any advise on what to do..heh heh! Maybe you wanna share your own thots towards this? On how you handle the unused photos?

I leave it and don't think about it till I start getting space issues... Then I will clean house.

Personally, I'm a casual shoot too..For the "unusable" ones, I will delete them. For usable ones, I will keep the JPEGs and delete the Raws. I will keep the Raws only for the "best-of-series" shots.

Personally, I'm a casual shoot too..For the "unusable" ones, I will delete them. For usable ones, I will keep the JPEGs and delete the Raws. I will keep the Raws only for the "best-of-series" shots.

same here, basically i do things as what SkyStrike mentioned. if its "unusable" to me, i would never want to see them again. haha

keep only keeper, those not usable images have zero value most of the time, shouldn't waste too much energy and resource on it.

anyway, if you still uncertain about delete them, put them in a "to be delete" or "deletable" folder, first to delete them when you doing spring cleaning.

I store them in my RAID5 NAS. If the pic is clearly OUT, I delete it. If the pic seems plausible for usage but you are not exactly sure when you gonna use it; You store it provided you have a good storage solution. I have always advocate against those 1 hard disk 2TB or more kind of backup. This is what we commonly says "Do put all your eggs in one basket."

Thanks for your reply guys..gives me an idea of how others treat their photo storage..as for myself..ones that I delete are those where i take 2 shots of same subject but only use 1 of them and those which are clearly poor in IQ (due to any reason) and deem not useable..i usually keep those borderline ones or maybe the subject/composition not as interesting but maybe there is a need for it in the future..haha! The difficult part is deciding whether to delete becos once u do u may not get the moment back! heh heh!

How about those that you help shoot on a unpaid basis..like maybe help a friend shoot kid's party or some celebration..those photos would mean nothing to you and given that you have already processed them and burn on DVD/CD for them..i have a few thousands of this on file! haha! I've deleted some of the more casual ones but those like kid's birthday and such only comes once in a lifetime..so i kept them just in case the owners lost their copy and ask me for it!

Thanks for your reply guys..gives me an idea of how others treat their photo storage..as for myself..ones that I delete are those where i take 2 shots of same subject but only use 1 of them and those which are clearly poor in IQ (due to any reason) and deem not useable..i usually keep those borderline ones or maybe the subject/composition not as interesting but maybe there is a need for it in the future..haha! The difficult part is deciding whether to delete becos once u do u may not get the moment back! heh heh!

How about those that you help shoot on a unpaid basis..like maybe help a friend shoot kid's party or some celebration..those photos would mean nothing to you and given that you have already processed them and burn on DVD/CD for them..i have a few thousands of this on file! haha! I've deleted some of the more casual ones but those like kid's birthday and such only comes once in a lifetime..so i kept them just in case the owners lost their copy and ask me for it!

It also depends on how important the event is to you. But personally, imo, those casual events/birthdays, I'll keep the JPEG in high resolution and that's about it. At most do PP on those JPEGs lor..

And for those "maybe there is a need for it in the future", I doubt you will look at it again in 2-3 months time. Save it as JPEG and move on :p

Those you help to shoot for fun and unpaid type, you should close the case once you hand over the photos to them. You have no oblication to look after the images for them after you've passed them the photos. Thou harddisk space is cheap nowadays, but the is no reason to spend resources on this.

yupe.. just pass it to them... maybe keep for afew months..there after i usually delete.. Most of the time what i do is upload them and keep just afew. Only travel photos i will keep everything..so it bring back memory whenever i view them.. friends photo i keep afew too.