What do you do when someone request an original photo from you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yildun

Aug 2, 2004
Singapore, Central
What do you do when you received the following message?

Hi, i saw your photo on "http://****/**.jpg". Can u send me a copy of it (orignal without editing)?

How do you protect your interest in such a situation?

Thx

How do you protect your interest in such a situation?

Simple - don't send it to them unless you are happy to. I would want to find out why they want it and if it is for any commercial usage then they should pay. Depends on how attached you are to the pic!!

Thx for the replies.

No lah, don't think my photos are worth a lot, or even sellable.

Even if I send to him, should I have him sign an undertaking to restrict distribution or any unlawful stuff?

What's the common practice for people who sell their photos, to strangers or organisations?

Well...for me...I would try to ascertain what purpose that requester have for my pic...if its for his personal use (hvta base on trust here lor)...I usually would give a scaled down jpg version...if he request the original...than you'll hvta qoute a price lor...

Personally...I don't think you should short change urself...every pic is sellable and worth a certain amt if there's a demand for it...if he willing to pay for it...then maybe you should change this perception of urself?? :dunno:

heh...just my personal 2cents worth tats all... ;)

How do you ensure the buyer's really using it as agreed? He may buy a pic for some expensive project, but say it's for some low-pay use... :dunno:

since there is such topic... i shall use it for my question...

OT:

lets say, if i am selling a particular product, den 1 of the resellers want a picture of this product to show to his customer, i take a photo of it, should i put a watermark of my company's name over it or should i not? or should i put down my company's name on the exif? (useless if he prints) should i send him a 6mp pic, or just a 1024x768 sized pic?

Actually whether a photo is sellable is determined more by demand. If someone thinks it's worth something, & he's willing to pay, then it was a real sale value.

I guess if u're worried about the purpose it's being used for (eg. unlawful purposes), maybe u'd want the person to sign an undertaking. In case it gets u into any trouble, or that the photo is used in a way u did not wish it to be, there is proof.

Just my 2 cents' worth. :)

Find out what he/she wants the picture for and how it is going to be used, after which draw up a contract stating price and usage limitations. Do you have a model release? (if there is a model involved)

Then you check and ask him for more money (please state that under the t&c in the contract) if he does not want to comply then write a letter of demand and after that sue him, there was an once a photographer sued M1 and won. M1 paid for the pictures to be used in item, 1, 2 & 3. But the photographer noticed that item 4 also had his photos and sued M1. I am not sure about the details of the case, if you want to know more , do the research yourself.

ortega said:
Find out what he/she wants the picture for and how it is going to be used, after which draw up a contract stating price and usage limitations. Do you have a model release? (if there is a model involved)

What's a model release? The picture contains some models, but I don't know who they are. Like if I take Miss A at some public event, I still need Miss A's clearance before I distribute the photo???

So lets say I have decided to sell or give him a copy. Does that mean he can do anything with it after that? Since he has bought it or recieved it as a gift, that means the picture belongs to him, does that mean he has the rights?

sign a contract with him in black and white with a witness(not me hahah)...stating wat he can use the photo for... and for how much the release is... and remember to include the fact tt even after releasin the photo to him for use...u still own it.... and tt he may (or may not) digitally manipulate the photo..

alot of details are generally up to u.... try drafting some form ya....

Contract should include the words "Limited Use" and "Copyrights belong to the photographer" if he does not agree, then don't sell it to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.