What do you do to Print?

Status
Not open for further replies.

azul123

Dec 4, 2004
Eastern Bloc
Was thinking that I ask the lab to process only... because I only need it in negatives. I want to scan and then print on my own printer. Will the lab do that for me?

BTW, is that what you guys would normally do? or is there a better way for it. Will any lab process B&W?

../azul123

Was thinking that I ask the lab to process only... because I only need it in negatives. I want to scan and then print on my own printer. Will the lab do that for me?

BTW, is that what you guys would normally do? or is there a better way for it. Will any lab process B&W?

../azul123
process and scan to disc, yes, lots of labs do that.

for b&w, if it's conventional b&w than use Ruby Photo.

process and scan to disc, yes, lots of labs do that.

for b&w, if it's conventional b&w than use Ruby Photo.
Thanks. Beside Ruby anywhere else around Bras Basah have or not?

I have processed at Ruby before nothing against them, in fact bought paper from them, just looking for somewhere nearby work, otherwise have to go inside Business district everytime need to process, TIA.

../azul123

fotohub has a branch has a branch near bugis junction on the fringe of the CBD. Its probably more pricey though so i'd just use ruby. take a bus down if u want to save on travel costs.

for printing, i had been getting the shops to scan for me.. but the 4base scans are not great quality and the price of 16 base scans was quite exorbitant.

the alternative was to get shops to print in B&W fromthe negative, but those are even more expensive.. and in order to decide what to print, i find u needed a scan anyway. contact sheets dont show enough.

so i settled for a compromise - i bought a decent scanner, i scan the negatives myself and get them printed at color lab...

i recently just got a epson R800, still in the process of calibrating it but if the prints come out good, then this will mean i dont even have to go to a printers to print. last step will be to start developing at home.

the lab i use charges $5 per roll of scans at 16base.
its called Zest photo in East point @ Simei...
ground floor..

the lab i use charges $5 per roll of scans at 16base.
its called Zest photo in East point @ Simei...
ground floor..
Thanks, Simei Eastpoint is convenient, may try it out but was also thinking of getting own scanner.

../azul123

16base comes out with a roughly 6megapixel image from a scan of a 135?

Hmmm. Then wouldn't it be much more cost efficent and convenient to just buy a scanner like the CanoScan4400F? It supposely produces close to 25MP ?

:)sweat: pls correct me if I'm wrong. really new to this area of photography. and looking to save costs in the long run)

16base comes out with a roughly 6megapixel image from a scan of a 135?

Hmmm. Then wouldn't it be much more cost efficent and convenient to just buy a scanner like the CanoScan4400F? It supposely produces close to 25MP ?

:)sweat: pls correct me if I'm wrong. really new to this area of photography. and looking to save costs in the long run)

yeah... 6.3mp if not mistaken...
i guess the advantage of a lab scan's the convience of it.. its fast.. and hassle free.. no need to set film profiles and worry about the inaccuracy of the colors...

not unless they have a decent home scanner that scans a whole roll of 35mm that cost under $1k, i think i'll stick to lab scans... according to my friend, down side with lab scan's are that they ain't as sharp if you scan them yourself... but color wise, no matter what he did, you can always tell its a diy scan.. not sure how this holds with b&w negs....

the new epson V350 scanner i bought for homeuse has an auto film loader function.. its not the fastest scanner on the block but so far been pretty happy with the colours andperformance.

and if you go for the highest quality settings... well, the file sizes are huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.