What do you do to get ready always

Status
Not open for further replies.

LBL2009

Jul 9, 2009
Seletar Estate, Singapore
What do you do to be always ready for the next good shot?

I use A mode with fix ISO settings in my walkaround shooting. I don't use Auto because Auto mode always give me bright pics but not necessary showing the true scene.

Many times, I find myself shooting with aperture setting used in previous shots which is not most desirable for the next shot. For example, in the park, bright sunlight, everything is ok, then I walk under a tree/shade or when I shoot the passing by kids, I always forget to change the aperture settings. As you can guess, poor pics due to slower shutter speed and the hand shake. I find myself reacting to situation most of the time.

Any good habits to share? How do you always get yourself ready? Do you have a mental checklist that works for you?

Just don't rush. Use the time instead to think about what you want to shoot (and why), the expected conditions, additional equipment needed etc ...

For me
Mode: i use P mode most of the time. serious.
ISO: outdoor usually 200. indoor usually 400. can goto 1600 also, depends.
Metering mode: most of the time matrix metering.
AF point: only 1. center. usually the camera is not smart enough to know where i wanna focus at. so i just focus it using one-point and recompose. save me a lot of blood vomiting.

Best is to, of coz, shoot more and learn how to anticipate things.

if i shoot street, aperture priority, centre weighted, adjust accordingly.

shoot landscapes, well i have all the time in the world. hastiness will only give bad composition and result in a lack of attention to detail.

This morning joined a group of photographers to shoot portrait at Fort Canning.

Low light. At 200mm, I knew I need faster shutter speed but with aperture widest, I still can't get anywhere near 1/200 sec.

Came back to review my pics. Again, pics not sharp due to hand shake. Only then I realize my ISO was fixed at 200. Should have raised it to get faster shutter speed.

Think I must have a checklist in my pocket and look at it first before getting into action.

Last edited:
This morning joined a group of photographers to shoot portrait at Fort Canning.
Low light. At 200mm, I knew I need faster shutter speed but with aperture widest, I still can't get anywhere near 1/200 sec.

Shouldn't that be the latest point to step back, take a deep breath and check all your settings? Remember how the shooting started .. got carried away chatting about gear or other things? :bsmilie:

Shouldn't that be the latest point to step back, take a deep breath and check all your settings? Remember how the shooting started .. got carried away chatting about gear or other things? :bsmilie:

Not chatting actually. Just that I haven't developed the habit of stepping back and check my settings. :embrass:

Last edited:
Pratice, pratice and more pratice :)

When I just started out, I jump into my 1st portraiture photoshoot w/o knowing what is ISO. How about that? ;p

i start the day at my "O" mode..
"O" stands for "original" :bsmilie: P, auto ISO, matrix metering, AF-S and dynamic area AF..
then change to A or M accordingly..always try to remember to switch back to O..
not usually use S mode..

My cam leaves house at my 'default' : AP, ISO200, f2.8
Shoots AP most times, unless scene calls for showing motion, then switch to SP.

Then as per normal,
a) select aperture
b) check shutter speed
c1) If speed not ok, will up ISO as per neccesary.
c2) May + or - EV as per my preference.

Discipline is that my cam will always be at my 'default' when it goes back into bag.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.