What do you do if someone cheated you into buying a problem lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

initialE24

Dec 18, 2004
Just got a lens from CS member a couple of days ago.

He looks like a decent guy staying in orchard area so did not try it on the camera body. In addition, it was raining heavily on tat afternoon. I only checked the glass to see if it is clean. Paid him the money and left. I tried it on my camera body and discovered that the aperture seems to be unable to sync with the lens.

Tried to call him but he did not answer, sms also dun bother to reply. I only know his nick, hp number and the condo he stayed. What will u do if u r in my situation? He promised that the lens is in mint condition.

I have got quite a number of items on CS and most are good sellers and buyers. This is one incident that really changed my mind that some just cannot be trusted. So buyers out there.... pls make sure u double check if u r getting lens from someone u dun know.

So, wat will u do when u see the seller again? Will u wait outside his condo or get somebody to bash him up? Cos i may be able to track him down. I hate dishonest sellers.....:thumbsd:

what you mean cant sync with the lens?

To be fair, you might wanna try it out on another body or ask your friend to test it out also.
To be frank, this is the risk involve when buying 2nd Hand stuffs. I believe it is still best to test it out thoroughly before dealing.

Gd luck to you, hope the lens is not as bad as it seems

What type of lens is it?
Older Sigma lenes are known to be incompatible with newer camera bodies and need to be reshipped.

Post the lens type and body you are using. Maybe it's just a simple technical problem and something that the previous owner did not know about because he was using a different body.

initialE24 said:
Just got a lens from CS member a couple of days ago.

He looks like a decent guy staying in orchard area so did not try it on the camera body. In addition, it was raining heavily on tat afternoon. I only checked the glass to see if it is clean. Paid him the money and left. I tried it on my camera body and discovered that the aperture seems to be unable to sync with the lens.

Tried to call him but he did not answer, sms also dun bother to reply. I only know his nick, hp number and the condo he stayed. What will u do if u r in my situation? He promised that the lens is in mint condition.

I have got quite a number of items on CS and most are good sellers and buyers. This is one incident that really changed my mind that some just cannot be trusted. So buyers out there.... pls make sure u double check if u r getting lens from someone u dun know.

So, wat will u do when u see the seller again? Will u wait outside his condo or get somebody to bash him up? Cos i may be able to track him down. I hate dishonest sellers.....:thumbsd:

first and foremost, i think, get in touch with him and see what he has to say. you may want to request that he pay for some servicing, but i think the best you can get is probably each of you covering half of the servicing costs

sorry, mistake
"... need to be rechipped"

radedward said:
What type of lens is it?
Older Sigma lenes are known to be incompatible with newer camera bodies and need to be reshipped.

Post the lens type and body you are using. Maybe it's just a simple technical problem and something that the previous owner did not know about because he was using a different body.

alechim said:
what you mean cant sync with the lens?

To be fair, you might wanna try it out on another body or ask your friend to test it out also.
To be frank, this is the risk involve when buying 2nd Hand stuffs. I believe it is still best to test it out thoroughly before dealing.

Gd luck to you, hope the lens is not as bad as it seems

The lens has been tested by another photographer and he confirmed that this lens has a problem.

This Nikon Macro lens is not able to go F2.8 even when I put it to A and M mode.
;(

radedward said:
What type of lens is it?

This is a Nikon 105 macro lens. Owner is a nikon user and sold off some of his lenses to get a D200. This seller is very dishonest and needs to be taught a lesson if I ever see him.:thumbsd:

Er, search the Nikon sub-forum. I recall an article mentioning for macro lens, you would not get F2.8 at extreme close-up. My 60mm micro also cannot get F2.8 and at best F3.5 at extreme close-up. Is yours the same problem?

eikin said:
first and foremost, i think, get in touch with him and see what he has to say. you may want to request that he pay for some servicing, but i think the best you can get is probably each of you covering half of the servicing costs

thanks for your advise... but this seller refuse to answer my call and sms. Will see how best to deal with this kind of seller....

reno77 said:
Maybe he went overseas ?

Yes... he is in overseas but he has got auto roaming. Phone is ringing but dun want to pick up. Sms also dun want to reply. I guess he knows wat he is doing...:think:

initialE24 said:
...I only checked the glass to see if it is clean. Paid him the money and left.
I don't know what else to comment. such incidents had popped up here so many hundreds of times. :rolleyes:

Firstly, do ascertain that the lens is really "fautly" as you claimed or is it some constrain as mentioned by crazypaladin. The lens may be working as it should.

When I am overseas, I do not always pick up calls I don't recognise or reply to sms simply because it costs $$. Give him some time lah...

Can you elaborate further on your problems????

Sync with camera body?

Macro lenses do not have a constant aperture due to the construction of the lens.

A lesson to learn too on buying second hand items for ALL. This has been discuss again and again. No matter how much you trust someone, when it comes down to $$$$ NEVER NEVER NEVER trust anybody.

If you read the term and conditions in CS, you will note on the cautions about dealing with buyers and sellers.

The onus is on the buyer to check the lens. If I am the seller, I would be pretty unhappy if the buyer came back to me a few days later to accuse me of selling him a faulty lens when in fact he did not check the lens properly and the lens was working perfectly just before i sold it.

oh I was.
long ago.
before CS existed.
it was a "friend"
took his word for it and I never check the Leica lens
big scratch on internal elements

does it bother me?
no

cause I believed (at that time and it turned out true) he will get his just deserts (karma). Anyway a person like that does not care for reputation anymore and the only way to go for him is downhill, which is exactly what happened to the jerk. :bsmilie:

initialE24 said:
Yes... he is in overseas but he has got auto roaming. Phone is ringing but dun want to pick up. Sms also dun want to reply. I guess he knows wat he is doing...:think:
Sometimes when overseas, my phone is set to vibrate mode during SIN daylight, because time zone are different, so maybe the seller has done the same. :dunno:

../azul123

All I can say is you should have checked it before you paid him.

Always arrange to meet at a location with at least seats and good lighting where you can take your time to inspect/try it out. He can't rush you anyway.

Also, take down his IC No. /particulars. Its common practice in the 2nd hard market to protect sellers against stolen equipment. Don't assume that he's the rightful owner just because he can produce the box and receipt. Ever tried selling your HP to 2nd hand shops? They even photocopy your IC before dealing!

Don't take things for granted. If he insists on unreasonable terms or is inflexible in dealing, forgo the sale.

crazypaladin said:
Er, search the Nikon sub-forum. I recall an article mentioning for macro lens, you would not get F2.8 at extreme close-up. My 60mm micro also cannot get F2.8 and at best F3.5 at extreme close-up. Is yours the same problem?

Instead of getting all worked out ...take it to a shop to check if this is the problem...i.e. as crazypaladin said, could be inherent closeup lens characteristic, friends may be just as ignorant as ourselves sometimes....

at close focus, a macro lens will behave as it there is a built in extension tube, that's how the lens allows you to go in close on the subject. You can note this behavior as the lens extends when it focusses closer .As with extension tubes, you lose light and the aperture will go down to about 5.6 if I remember, do test it out.

check it vs. infinity focus.

you seems to be suggesting violence to the seller, are you sure you've exhausted all avenues of testing the lens and contacting the seller ? if this is just a case of misunderstanding the problem won't be as easy to solve now.

Status
Not open for further replies.