What do you do if someone cheated you into buying a problem lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1 b4 lock

it is generally established that 'caveat emptor' will apply in such scenario. it means 'let the buyer be aware'. or the onus is on the buyer to satisfy himself before transacting.

let us have the relevant thread?

Hmmm cannot go to f/2.8? Looks like a PLBV issue :)

code said:
The onus is on the buyer to check the lens. If I am the seller, I would be pretty unhappy if the buyer came back to me a few days later to accuse me of selling him a faulty lens when in fact he did not check the lens properly and the lens was working perfectly just before i sold it.

This is not a few days issue. i only checked it when I got home and tat is 6 hours later after the purchase.

solarii said:
All I can say is you should have checked it before you paid him.

Always arrange to meet at a location with at least seats and good lighting where you can take your time to inspect/try it out. He can't rush you anyway.

Also, take down his IC No. /particulars. Its common practice in the 2nd hard market to protect sellers against stolen equipment. Don't assume that he's the rightful owner just because he can produce the box and receipt. Ever tried selling your HP to 2nd hand shops? They even photocopy your IC before dealing!

Don't take things for granted. If he insists on unreasonable terms or is inflexible in dealing, forgo the sale.

Noted with thanks. Will remember your advise from now.

rueyloon said:
at close focus, a macro lens will behave as it there is a built in extension tube, that's how the lens allows you to go in close on the subject. You can note this behavior as the lens extends when it focusses closer .As with extension tubes, you lose light and the aperture will go down to about 5.6 if I remember, do test it out.

check it vs. infinity focus.

you seems to be suggesting violence to the seller, are you sure you've exhausted all avenues of testing the lens and contacting the seller ? if this is just a case of misunderstanding the problem won't be as easy to solve now.

Will bring to Nikon Service Centre to check then....

Anyway, I am not a violent person by nature . I would like to apologise if my words suggest that. But sometimes, I believe certain scumbags need to be taught a lesson that they will not forget. Perhaps, this guy did not realise that the lens is faulty... like u said, a misunderstanding.:think:

Will send to NSC to check if the lens is faulty then.... thanks for your advise.

espn said:
Hmmm cannot go to f/2.8? Looks like a PLBV issue :)

ESPN..... I know u r well versed with Nikon products, would u like to elaborate on this PLBV issue? Thanks...

reachme2003 said:
it is generally established that 'caveat emptor' will apply in such scenario. it means 'let the buyer be aware'. or the onus is on the buyer to satisfy himself before transacting.

let us have the relevant thread?

Will put it in this thread once I dertermine if the seller has the intention to cheat..... cos it may be a misunderstanding on both sides. Will try to clarify the issue with him first...

i also kena b4, and that idiot went back china liao, i send for nikon service ctr, and the service man unable to indentified the problem. but still can work, so i decided to use as back up and overseas trip.

smurfman said:
i also kena b4, and that idiot went back china liao, i send for nikon service ctr, and the service man unable to indentified the problem. but still can work, so i decided to use as back up and overseas trip.

He sold u the lens or body? NSC cannot identify the problem? This is so unbelievable!

you mean the aperture seems to be unable to sync with the lens, have you tried to take picture with it ? is the picture expose properly?

for your information answering call and reply sms when roaming is cost allot ..... each sms cost ard $0.70 and voice call can cost ard $5 just a minutes.....

initialE24 said:
He sold u the lens or body? NSC cannot identify the problem? This is so unbelievable!

its d100.

well, lucky the body can work, just one small problem only.

initialE24 said:
Will bring to Nikon Service Centre to check then....

Anyway, I am not a violent person by nature . I would like to apologise if my words suggest that. But sometimes, I believe certain scumbags need to be taught a lesson that they will not forget. Perhaps, this guy did not realise that the lens is faulty... like u said, a misunderstanding.:think:

Will send to NSC to check if the lens is faulty then.... thanks for your advise.

have you tested it as a few of us here suggested ?
try focussing at infinity, can you select f2.8 ?

try focussing at close up, does the aperture automatically reflect the light lost ?

cheers

Please read here

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/105af.htm

I quote from that link

Here are the maximum effective apertures at different focus scale settings, as indicated on my F100:
Infinity f/2.8
1.4 m f/3.0
0.8 m f/3.2
0.55 m f/3.3
0.45 m f/3.5
0.4 m f/3.8
0.367m f/4.0
0.345m f/4.2
0.33 m f/4.5
0.318m f/4.8
0.314m f/5.0

initialE24 said:
Yes... he is in overseas but he has got auto roaming. Phone is ringing but dun want to pick up. Sms also dun want to reply. I guess he knows wat he is doing...:think:

What if he DOESN'T have auto roaming and left the phone switched on in Singapore? :dunno:

Beachboy said:
you mean the aperture seems to be unable to sync with the lens, have you tried to take picture with it ? is the picture expose properly?

for your information answering call and reply sms when roaming is cost allot ..... each sms cost ard $0.70 and voice call can cost ard $5 just a minutes.....

ok... will wait for him to come back to Singapore. Thanks

why don't you just test the lens and let us know ? at least you can rule out one thing.

rueyloon said:
why don't you just test the lens and let us know ? at least you can rule out one thing.
Sigh... refer to what reflecx mentioned earlier and do MF testing.

It might very possibly be a case of PLBV.

Status
Not open for further replies.