What do you consider a good seller of second hand photgraphic equipment?

JohnTaylor

Jun 24, 2009
Hi all! Hope you are enjoying the rain and finding new and creative ways of making the best of the dreary weather!

Perhaps I've got too much time on my hands, but I've been looking for a few photographic items lately, and bumped into a person I felt was not the most friendly seller around. Not abusive per se, but extremely inflexible. You had to go to his/her place at a certain time on a certain day. No meeting in between. Not willing to consider meeting at diff time. The person did not live near a MRT, which meant I would have had to take a taxi to and from, and I would have been late anyway, unless the seller was willing to change the meet up time just 45 minutes, which he/she was not willing to do. I had no choice but to not buy the item.

Now most sellers aren't like this, but this he/she got me thinking about a thread.

What has been your bad experiences with sellers, and what do you like about the good sellers of photgraphic "stuff"? :think:

Last edited:
Put yourself into the seller's shoes: You offer something (maybe not the first time) and you get all kinds of questions like "Can we meet in Jurong on Sat at 8am?" when your bed is somewhere in Sembawang .. Or you agree to meet at 7pm in Little India and the buyer is coming around 8pm from his dinner, still chewing the last piece of meat .. Exaggerated? Wait for other responses. So I fully understand that some sellers put up strict timing. Secondly: what do we know about their daily schedule and routines? You want to buy, so come and get it. If the seller is flexible then take it as bonus, but don't take it as granted.
Have you ever seen a shop offering you to open till 10pm (when they close at 8pm usually) because that's the earliest you can make it?

The best seller I ever met here has added some additional items he didn't use any longer, for free. To put that in right context: The item I bought was about 140 bucks. Another seller even came to my place because he lived not too far away. So we met at void deck below my block. :thumbsup:
The worst buyer wanted to bargain further, telling me something about poor student and asking for 50 bucks less (item was offered as 450). Finally, when I counted the money he even gave me 50 too much .. (which I returned).
Overall, it's positive with Buy & Sell here.

i wouldn't even bother if the meeting place is no way near any mrt station... etc

a good seller is 1 that

1: arranges at a decent location
2: reports the condition and problems accurately
3: charges u at a decent price.

i dealt with a few with good prices, but some didnt really tell me the problems, some tried to hide problems. end up i have to just make do witht he problems.

My personal take is the seller should have the right to sell at his convenience. Coz they usually (not always) are not profiting from selling the used stuff. Furthermore, in an adhoc buy sell situation, the seller has a higher chance of getting his time wasted like, being stood up, buyer decides not to buy after viewing, bargain, etc...

i mostly buy more than sell, but so far i'm lucky to meet all good traders. friendly and quite prompt.

as buyer i would usually go up to the seller's place unless its too far out and the saving wont be significant against the time and money spent on travel.

as seller i always try to meet halfway or to the buyer's place if its nearby coz i drive. timing wise i'm restricted, especially on weekends due to family, but i always explain to the buyer about my constraint.

punctual, honest (i.e. no phantom bidders that drive up the price).

that's all i ask, for weird location, doesn't matter, singapore is small. unless of course, ask you go pulau ubin to deal...

Many Sellers adhere to the meet-at-my-place-for-my-own-safeguard purpose. So usually, I would ask if alternate venue is possible, if no, then probably got to drop the deal.

good seller= provide after sale support:bsmilie:

who ever is the TS of that WTB or WTS thread, he/she has the right to indicate on where & when to make the deal and if its flexible.

Gd ones are time conscious and take the extra mile to come to ur place at ur convenience (if they drive) and bundle things they dont need for free :)

Buyer cannot understand why Seller cannot meet him at the place he is convenient to meet.

Seller cannot understand why Buyer cannot meet him at the place he is convenient to meet.

So who should give in?:dunno:

Best option is Buyer and Seller can arrange a place that is convenient for both parties.

If either one think that the meeting place inconvenient them then simple- NO DEAL.

Die die have to buy it...search a seller who able to meet you at the place you are convenient to meet.

Seller just wait for someone who can come to your blk to deal.

CASE CLOSED.

Hi all! Hope you are enjoying the rain and finding new and creative ways of making the best of the dreary weather!

Perhaps I've got too much time on my hands, but I've been looking for a few photographic items lately, and bumped into a person I felt was not the most friendly seller around. Not abusive per se, but extremely inflexible. You had to go to his/her place at a certain time on a certain day. No meeting in between. Not willing to consider meeting at diff time. The person did not live near a MRT, which meant I would have had to take a taxi to and from, and I would have been late anyway, unless the seller was willing to change the meet up time just 45 minutes, which he/she was not willing to do. I had no choice but to not buy the item.

Now most sellers aren't like this, but this he/she got me thinking about a thread.

What has been your bad experiences with sellers, and what do you like about the good sellers of photgraphic "stuff"? :think:

What items are you looking for?

If I have and I don't need it, I will sell it to you. I will travel to your residence and deal. I will call you "bro". I will smile all the time. But I will charge you $30 more. If timing is during working hours and I have to take 1/2 day leave, I will charge you $200 more. If it is between 11pm - 6am, I will charge you $60 more. And once I come to your place, if you do not want the item, the charges above apply with an addition $60 in transportation costs.

Sounds unreasonable? You should also think if your expectations from the seller are reasonable or unreasonable as well. It is a 2 way street.

If I have and I don't need it, I will sell it to you. I will travel to your residence and deal. I will call you "bro". I will smile all the time. But I will charge you $30 more. If timing is during working hours and I have to take 1/2 day leave, I will charge you $200 more. If it is between 11pm - 6am, I will charge you $60 more. And once I come to your place, if you do not want the item, the charges above apply with an addition $60 in transportation costs.

Yes indeed, I believe excellent service should come at a price. :thumbsup:

;)

Some people just want it fresh, want it cheap, want big big also.

I remember the last item I bought in BnS - a Lee foundation filter holder with hitech filters. Saw the ad, made the call, checked my schedule, call back, made appointment and drove down immediately to the sellers house and deal on the spot.

Thing is, if the item you want, and you want it bad, and it is a hot item at a good price, you have to make sacrifices to get it. If circumstances dictate you cannot meet the seller's timing or pricing, you are just not fated to get that item from that particular seller. If your schedule is flexible but yet unwilling to change it, it just means you are not that keen to get the item in the first place. Either case, just move on.

Last edited:

Sounds unreasonable? You should also think if your expectations from the seller are reasonable or unreasonable as well. It is a 2 way street.

GST included in the price?

An obvious one for me: Bad seller will rush you into buying. example - "if not buying soon i give my friend liao", "if u nvr buy now i think i keep it". etc.

An obvious one for me: Bad seller will rush you into buying. example - "if not buying soon i give my friend liao", "if u nvr buy now i think i keep it". etc.

Nothing bad about that. As a buyer, you choose what you want to hear. If you think it is BS, then don't bother about that statement. It is also same to buyers that go "I want it, but I not free this week. Reserve for me, I will see it end of next week." Then on the last day before the meetup, buyer will say "Sorry, I am not interested anymore", some are worse, no calls no nothing, just don't show up.

That is why now when I sell things, I will state that first come first serve, and no reserve. And I reserve to right to pull any items off the sale list, but I will give ample notice to people who have made appointment to see it.