what do u think of official photographers' etiquette?

Status
Not open for further replies.
reachme2003 said:
the recent posts seem to suggest that with an official photographer's pass, it empowers him to do 'anything' to 'unofficial' photographers. i do not agree.
Just to make it simple, do not block offical photographers, anything could happen to anyone (hurt/unhurt) even if the person's intention is not to block the offical photographer's view.

Try working for any press company and go back to the office without any or OOF photos.......you will get clobbered later by your editor/boss. :bsmilie:

Official Photographers with Press Pass does not entitled them with full power but if you ever work for a press company you will know the pressure on why you need to produced. So far I have work hand in hand with press photographers (when I am not an official photographer), so far they do not empowered themselves with great authority. I think some members have the wrong misconception. The problem starts when some photographers just pulled up a camera and just shoot without asking permission.

The point again, if you are the official photographer shooting an event and suddenly the MOST important part of the event you get block by an unofficial photographer, what would you do? What would you really do? How do you explain to your client/boss/editor? "Sorry boss my shots got block by some monkey"

Not that we want to be rude to unofficial photographers but it always happens. We do try to explain/educate some of them before any event shoot starts but you will be surprise some of the unofficial photographers respond............behaving like they are official photographers. I have met good and bad eggs all the time. Usually the bad eggs will sure get kick out by the event organiser as I will explain to them about it. So it's best if unofficial photographers be polite enough to at least ask/talk to the organiser and the official photographer.

As far as I know before any shoot is conducted I will let my client know about how I want to cover the whole event if I am a official photographer. I will also let my client know if it is possible, no other photographers be allowed to shoot or get in my way.

jnet6 said:
Just to make it simple, do not block offical photographers, anything could happen to anyone (hurt/unhurt) even if the person's intention is not to block the offical photographer's view.

It always sounds simple to say it but doing it is another thing.....

after reading the above posts, i gather most of you strongly feel that one should give way to the official photographer. on one hand i can understand he has a job to do. on the other hand, i feel there is also a line to draw as to how one carries out a job. maybe it's a singapore culture that one thinks he's the official photographer and that gives him the rights to behave in a certain manner.

pokiemon said:
after reading the above posts, i gather most of you strongly feel that one should give way to the official photographer. on one hand i can understand he has a job to do. on the other hand, i feel there is also a line to draw as to how one carries out a job. maybe it's a singapore culture that one thinks he's the official photographer and that gives him the rights to behave in a certain manner.

think u're missing the point. its not becos one can behave in a certain manner just becos he/she is the official photog. rather, as a shooter urself, u might want to be a bit more understanding and not get in the way of an official photographer so as to impede his/her job in getting the pic(s) for the client.

At the end of the day, it is the offical photographer who MUST get the shot.

A group of us from NLPC were covering the PM's visit a few weeks back. Together with the press, there were more than 10 offical/press photographers/videographers!!! All of us were jostling and pushing each other, on top of that we were blocked and pushed away by the PM's bodyguards and I mean really push away.

That day, I've push, jostled, step on someone's foot and even kok someone's head with my camera ( not intensionally of course) and the same thing have happen to me. But we all know that it is part of our job, all of us have to deliver to our boss. And the unoffical photographers? Within like 20 mins they give up and stay out of our way.

Pokiemon, these things happen all the time all around the world. This is press photography. You have to accept that shooting events do not give anyone, offical or not, the time to stop, pose and take our own sweet time to shoot. What we're trying to say here is that as the offical photographer, we have a job to do and there is no reshoot and hope that unoffical photographers will understand and not make a diff job even harder to cover. Hope you can see things from our POV.

pokiemon said:
How he does his job depends on how his surroundings are, so in your case, you are obstructing him and he has to behave in that manner to do his job. If you are in his shoes, you will prob would be doing the same thing too. His priority is about his ricebowl, not his etiquette, the 2 are hard to coexist.

vince123123 said:
I think there's a difference between jostling/pushing the unofficial away as opposed to intentionally cloberring of the unofficial - I dont think you have the right to intentionally clobber anyone. Besides, if you are the official, and a fight starts - you are always at the losing end - in a fight, you lose your time to get the shots you need, you may end up at the police station for causing hurt, and the client may not take too kindly on you intentionally clobbering anyone, whether or not you were entitled to. Push and jostle all you want, but do not intentionally clobber anyone.

Violence is never the answer, I hope the other new professionals don't get the idea from your post that it is all right to do so.

And by the way, I've been on both sides of the fence before, so I take a balanced view. If I'm the official, just say nicely or at most, if stubborn, push him away. If I'm the unofficial and you intentionally clobber me, be sure that you'll on your way to the police station and miss the event that you're paid to cover.

Jeez, dun take it too literally.

Hmm not sure about you, but I read his post as written by him - there was no indication that it is not to be read at face value.

TMC said:
Jeez, dun take it too literally.

pokiemon said:

As the offical photographer we have even more to look out for during the shoot. We would have been given instructions like: don't go too near the PM, the VIP don't like direct strong flash, etc. We also don't want the public/guest to complain to the org that we were rude to them. On top of that, when shooting VIPs with bodyguards, it is usually the offical photographers with the press pass that got "brush off" harder by the bodyguards the public usually just get a slight push.

hehe thats cos the bodyguards dont know which big shot the "public" may be; press photogs can just be pushed around bochap :p

yqt said:
As the offical photographer we have even more to look out for during the shoot. We would have been given instructions like: don't go too near the PM, the VIP don't like direct strong flash, etc. We also don't want the public/guest to complain to the org that we were rude to them. On top of that, when shooting VIPs with bodyguards, it is usually the offical photographers with the press pass that got "brush off" harder by the bodyguards the public usually just get a slight push.

it is one of those hazards which comes with the job.

yqt said:

tmc - how do u define obstruction? what you are implying is everyone should keep clear of the stage so that he has free access and not get in his way? ideally yeah but we know that is not possible. he had first choice of where to stand. i kept to my space and wasn't intruding. there should be respect for my work too.

vince123123 said:
hehe thats cos the bodyguards dont know which big shot the "public" may be; press photogs can just be pushed around bochap :p

Exactly!!!

OT MODA "ON"
Since we're on bodyguards and offical/press photographers,

Q1) what happens when the offical photographer do not co-copeate with the bodyguards?

Q2) how can the offical photographer "TRY" to get back at the bodyguards?

interesting questions, but no answers from me.

yqt said:
Exactly!!!

OT MODA "ON"

Q1) what happens when the offical photographer do not co-copeate with the bodyguards?

pokiemon said:
tmc - how do u define obstruction? what you are implying is everyone should keep clear of the stage so that he has free access and not get in his way? ideally yeah but we know that is not possible. he had first choice of where to stand. i kept to my space and wasn't intruding. there should be respect for my work too.

if you are not the official photographer you shouldnt be on the stage in the first place right? :think:

wont it be chaotic if all the unofficial photographers go onstage? :dunno:

not on the stage dude...in front of the stage...

yqt said:
Exactly!!!

OT MODA "ON"

OK, this happen at the PM's visit.

A1) There's this press photographer ( I've met seen him a few times ) and he ignore the bodyguard's insturctions and even went pass him when he's not looking to try to shoot the PM from 3 feet away. First the bodyguard forcefully pull him away from the PM. Than they warn him and put one of them on him. When he still want to do things his way, they call him aside ( he try to show his press pass ) during the most important part of the event and question him and took his particulars. I'm very sure they "timed" it on purpose.
BTW, this is not the first time I've seen this guy act like he own the whole event. I was smileing away when he got call aside :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

A2) At the end of the event when the PM was having his close door session with the RC members, we ( the rest of us from NLPC ) were resting next to the bodyguards and chimping. I show the bodyguards ( jokeingly of course ) some shots that were not too "flattering" ie: like their black face, their pushing tactic, etc which is part of the picture. And when they ask " Can erase or not " or " can give me that picture or not ". I just smile at them and said " sorry, cannot lar. I'm doing a job for the CC. If you want, get from CC. I think they want to put this in their newsletter " Which by the way is true.

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

pokiemon said:
not on the stage dude...in front of the stage...

sorry...misread ;p

anyway whatever it is, since you know he is the official photographer, the you should give him priority for space and shots. you should be standing behind him or somewhere where you wont be in his way and still get the shot. standing next to him is a :nono:

pokiemon said:
Like I said, etiquette and ricebowls cant exist at times, if my ricebowl is on the line, you think I will care about your work/hobby? anything that would interfere with his work would be an obstruction, and in this case unfortunately, that is you.

pokiemon said:

come to think of it, why were u at the front of the stage anyway? are u involved in the prize presentation ceremony in any way? are u part of the organising committee etc... ie giving u a reason to be shooting there? think dats wat madmacs is pointing at.

Status
Not open for further replies.