what do u think of official photographers' etiquette?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is a matter of courtesy.

If he has the time, he should say 'excuse me pleeease'. If he's busy, he still should say 'sorry' after shoving you aside.

pokiemon said:
it was a prize giving ceremony. there was an official photographer standing in front of the stage. there were other photographers too and i so happen to stand next to him. during the ceremony he kept pushing me away from where i was standing and sticking his lens in front of mine to take the side view. i looked at him and he just showed me his official pass as if i was some second class citizen.

have any of you had the same experience and what do u think of such behaviour? does he have the right of space just cos he's the official photographer? i can understand he needs to feed his family...but still isn't there such a thing as encroachment of space???

This part I don't understand, a photo of price giving ceremony, the price receiver and the VIP should look at the camera. Why taking a side view and not asking them to look at the camera?

Sorry.. I have to tell you. You are the kind of photographers I truly hate. Many many times while I am an official photographer, and I have to jostle with people like you, I get really really pissed. You are invading my working space.

And honestly, I am not very kind to people like you. I have clobbered a couple of people like you on the top of their heads with my lenses before, try knocking your head onto a 300 f/2.8 or 200-400.. its painful.

If you were jostling with press photographers, I can tell you.. expect a bruise or two, or more, or even be shoved till you end up falling down.

We make a living, and each shot is $$ for us, especially if you are talking about things like graduations, prize giving and/or weddings. Its a one time shot. We cannot ask them to represent the cert.

In such situations I also take case with the organizers. They should have better crowd control.

Even if I am a volunteer official photographer, I still have the space. I ahve shot many charity events as a volunteer official photographer. Once the organizers have appointed you as official, you have the pressure to deliver.

schon said:

If he has the time, he should say 'excuse me pleeease'. If he's busy, he still should say 'sorry' after shoving you aside.

in most cases there is no time to say excuse me please. by the time you show that ''courtesy'', you would have missed the shot.

waileong said:
You shouldn't have been there in the first place... If you miss a shot or two, no big deal. If he misses a shot or two, no future jobs from this client.

Wai Leong
==

give way to the offical lah .. alot of pple have already give their point of view .. 1 day you go and try for offical. I said you be sweating even before the show start. You cant get that pic . you get screw by the organiser.. no pic. no money ..

pokiemon said:
well i kept within my space. each time he elbowed me i lose my composition. i brushed off the first few times but the subsequent ones were irritating.

he will be think that you are the irritating one !!!

Official photographer has to produce his/her work to the organiser, while a non-official is just there for fun or to improve their skill. Non-official has no pressure of been not able to produce moment shot. Non-official has many other chance while official is just that moment. So PLS, give way to official photographer.

no point presenting your point of view and think that someone will stand with you . Like a lot of pple have already said. As a offical photographer before . Whether be it a charity event or a paid shot.. We call the shots and not some tom did and hairy blocking and telling you to get out of his/ her way . Those pple better watch it .. . We earn the respect and our reputation from the result we deliver n we better make sure we do it. It a do or die situatation out there. cant possibly tell then to represent the cert again and just because of you kind of pple . No way

schon said:

a bit hard if he has his eye glued to the viewfinder... ;p

anyway put yourself in the official photographers shoes. you cant be say 'excuse me' and 'sorry' every time you bump into some fella who keeps getting in your way right? :dunno:

i think the worst part is when the flash from other cameras goes when you press the shutter......

gadrian said:
Sorry.. I have to tell you. You are the kind of photographers I truly hate. Many many times while I am an official photographer, and I have to jostle with people like you, I get really really pissed. You are invading my working space.

And honestly, I am not very kind to people like you. I have clobbered a couple of people like you on the top of their heads with my lenses before, try knocking your head onto a 300 f/2.8 or 200-400.. its painful.

If you were jostling with press photographers, I can tell you.. expect a bruise or two, or more, or even be shoved till you end up falling down.

We make a living, and each shot is $$ for us, especially if you are talking about things like graduations, prize giving and/or weddings. Its a one time shot. We cannot ask them to represent the cert.

In such situations I also take case with the organizers. They should have better crowd control.

Even if I am a volunteer official photographer, I still have the space. I ahve shot many charity events as a volunteer official photographer. Once the organizers have appointed you as official, you have the pressure to deliver.

Yep that is absolutely spot on! I use to work as a photojournalist many years back. If there was any Tom, Dick and Harry comes in the way without any Press Pass you will get absolutely no chance to be even remotely close to us.

Nowadays, it is still the same. If I am covering an event as a Official Photographer and if anyone comes near me without asking permission to shoot for any event will surely kenna fire from me. Please take this as a lesson well learn from the official photographers.

Imagine if you are a the Official Photographer for an important event, you wouldn't want people like me to be standing next to you and keep annoying you. If you do not deliver, how is the client going to pay you? When it comes any events like this, it's always more difficult to handle as it's ONLY HAPPEN ONCE! You simply can't ask the person to hand the prize giving away again, right?

Pro Image said:
Yep that is absolutely spot on! I use to work as a photojournalist many years back. If there was any Tom, Dick and Harry comes in the way without any Press Pass you will get absolutely no chance to be even remotely close to us.

Nowadays, it is still the same. If I am covering an event as a Official Photographer and if anyone comes near me without asking permission to shoot for any event will surely kenna fire from me. Please take this as a lesson well learn from the official photographers.

Imagine if you are a the Official Photographer for an important event, you wouldn't want people like me to be standing next to you and keep annoying you. If you do not deliver, how is the client going to pay you? When it comes any events like this, it's always more difficult to handle as it's ONLY HAPPEN ONCE! You simply can't ask the person to hand the prize giving away again, right?

Going back to the main topic/question of this thread, I guess the response from fellow "Pro Image" have very much answered it.

ok like this... how about press, OP, videocamera , threee stand togather...

now u r the OP , who to blame?

Pro Image said:

Absolutely same sentiments. :)

gernie said:
ok like this... how about press, OP, videocamera , threee stand togather...

now u r the OP , who to blame?

no one is to be blamed.. it's all part of the job dude! u've gotta fight for urself. Those pple whom has experienced it over here would have told u the similar things and i believed we all learnt through the hard ways.

Do check with the organiser or better still the videographers themselves where is ur accessibility areas such that u won't get into their ways too.. Medias and OP would usually have equal access. Probably u oso need to bring along the "Sh*t do happens" kinda spirit to get the job done, coz it's always does. Dun believe, go ask Murphy. :)

the only thing i can empathise with u is that no one should ever be terated rudely. but then agani, from what gadrian has said, it's almost like u were "rude first" to the official photographer, which i'm sure by now, u dun need me to tell u what his job is. just read the posts above.

ignorance isn't a plea of innocence. but since now u've been educated probably won't get in any official photog's way and won't have this problem and can live happily ever after. :)

Once I went to my friend's school ball to take some photographs for them.
The 'pros' were around the place, taking photographs of other people, so, I gather my friends in a group to take a photograph. Just before I take the picture, the 'pro' jumps infront of me and takes the photograph... rar.

adamadam said:
Maybe soon we see a thread about "what do you think of unofficial photographer's etiquette"

:bsmilie:

reminds me of the case where i was helping my fren shoot his church wedding. cos of the strict rules of photography in my church, he wanted me to shoot the church ceremony rather than the wedding photog studio. prior to the wedding, i got assurances from my fren dat the wedding photog from the studio will not get in the way cos our church had very narrow aisles and dun really allow more than 1 fellow standing in the way. guess wat... during the walking down the isle by the bride, i rushed to my predetermined spot... only to see the wedding photog squatting there shooting away. i had to tap him on the shoulder and tell him to siam. but, by time time i was done, the moment was over. later i told my fren, in case he wondered how come i never got the shot. :sweat:

sad to say, i really can't sympathise with pokiemon.

I think there's a difference between jostling/pushing the unofficial away as opposed to intentionally cloberring of the unofficial - I dont think you have the right to intentionally clobber anyone. Besides, if you are the official, and a fight starts - you are always at the losing end - in a fight, you lose your time to get the shots you need, you may end up at the police station for causing hurt, and the client may not take too kindly on you intentionally clobbering anyone, whether or not you were entitled to. Push and jostle all you want, but do not intentionally clobber anyone.

Violence is never the answer, I hope the other new professionals don't get the idea from your post that it is all right to do so.

And by the way, I've been on both sides of the fence before, so I take a balanced view. If I'm the official, just say nicely or at most, if stubborn, push him away. If I'm the unofficial and you intentionally clobber me, be sure that you'll on your way to the police station and miss the event that you're paid to cover.

gadrian said:

the recent posts seem to suggest that with an official photographer's pass, it empowers him to do 'anything' to 'unofficial' photographers. i do not agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.