what do u do with your digital photo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maximize

Jun 14, 2008
i have like about 44Gb of photos (after some housekeeping).. i am sure many of u have much more than this.. can i ask for suggestion what do u do with your past photographs taken? keep archive in the hard disk... print in hard copy? i did double backup in a separate hdd juz in case.. touch wood.. crash!!

there is quite a few photos which i really like but i dunno what to do with it also.. to make it as my computer screen saver.. print and frame in my room (dunno got so much space)... keep a photobook...

hope can provide me with some suggestion...

Store them in a portable HDD

Good idea./. but not recommended... Seriously ... My whole collection of about 200GB of collections from a backup HDD 300GB.. all gone.. portable HDD or even fixed HDD can never be safe.. if they crash .. they will crash without warning... Ive learn my lesson ...

Sell them...

Then when you start to sell them, you stop taking 44GB of photos.

You take only those that people value.

redundant array.

Alway have more that one single backup for important stuffs.
I stored my photo in my desktop, backup to 2 separate portable HDD, abit Kiasu, but u never know, alway be safe than sorry.;)

Good idea./. but not recommended... Seriously ... My whole collection of about 200GB of collections from a backup HDD 300GB.. all gone.. portable HDD or even fixed HDD can never be safe.. if they crash .. they will crash without warning... Ive learn my lesson ...

Its good to loose photos once a while. Makes ppl go out and shoot again and create better photos. :)

Burn the good ones to DVD, save the 'normal ones' onto a portable harddrive, trash the bad ones.

Every time I'm bored, I'd review my pictures and trash the lousy ones... Then re-update the pictures in my external harddisk every 6 months or so...

Ha... everyone has this problem it seems.... There's prob no best way to insulate against potential loss of photos....

I store my most recent photos on my Notebook. The less recent ones that I have not used for some time, I'd put them on my 250GB HDD that's grounded to my home office desk.... so it doesn't move around etc..... I duplicate everything there onto DVD ROMs as well and store those in a secure light proof box.

Pretty soon, my desk HDD is going to be full out and I will rely solely on the DVD ROMs for the oldest photos. Thinking that I need to have a collection of portfolio photos that are 4/5 or 5/5 and store those on a specific folder in my notebook as well as the desktop HDD....

Sigh. Keeping photos digitally aint convenient or cheap.....:dunno:

External HD's are so cheap these days it is a no brainer to have a couple of those linked up and what you put on to one you can put on the other.
Also photo sites such as flickr, picasa, right now i use photoshelter have a good limit to back up your photos there. I put my best ones on photoshelter. Just incase.

External HD's are so cheap these days it is a no brainer to have a couple of those linked up and what you put on to one you can put on the other.
Also photo sites such as flickr, picasa, right now i use photoshelter have a good limit to back up your photos there. I put my best ones on photoshelter. Just incase.

hey there geeteethree,

Quick question for you.... I am not very familiar with photo sites, but does photoshelter or flickr give you saved files at the highest resolution ? Meaning can I upload it in JPEG Fine and get back the same ? How about RAW ?

If not, wouldn't this contribute to a lesser photo file if I lose my stuff on the HDD ?

Thanks !

I got about close to 100GB of photos so far, and I just started about 5months ago.
I got a 1TB external harddrive, but I am slowly trying to QC pictures there are worth keeping and deleting those I think not worth. ( but it is hard to decide) ;p

storing them in HDD are definitely... cos even DVD are not reliable.. u noe those cheapo DVD u buy will degrade over time... do anyone will like do the print out and keep as hard copy... of cos only those selectively that are good...

i am considering doing a photobook or something similar... izzit a good idea... think kinda like my wedding photo album.. see once... then collect dust.. haha..

I believe should try to do it the traditional way.
In the old time of films, we just print out everything and keep them in shoe boxes or something. Now, with digital, we can choose the good ones and print them out. This way, if you lose the digital copy, you still have the hard copy. I'm only talking about those for memory keepsake. Those that 20 years down the road to look back on.

As for the more artistic ones, I would, again get the best, photoshop it, and print and keep in files.

If I must keep in digital form, for cheaper alternative, I will burn 2 copies of each, onto 2 different DVD brands. I myself use Sony and Verbatim.

This housekeeping as always must be done everytime. Can't imagine doing all this with 100Gb of files :sweat:

DVDs are actually pretty reliable and long lasting. If you keep them properly in casings and in areas of low humidity.

But of course, HDD beats DVD hands down.

I prefer printing those really valuable and good pictures. Print and keep and share. It's easier to show people your good picture that is printed, rather than from computer.
The so-so / mediocre / not-captivating pictures will be stored in HDD. I don't mind losing them. They are not very valuable.

DVDs are actually pretty reliable and long lasting. If you keep them properly in casings and in areas of low humidity.

But of course, HDD beats DVD hands down.

I prefer printing those really valuable and good pictures. Print and keep and share. It's easier to show people your good picture that is printed, rather than from computer.
The so-so / mediocre / not-captivating pictures will be stored in HDD. I don't mind losing them. They are not very valuable.

at what print size do you normally keep them... i thought of doing it in A3 but i am not sure whether my resolution will be enough esp i do a lot of cropping.. some i crop as much as 50% of the pics... probably roughly A4 size will be good..?

Status
Not open for further replies.