What do u do with your digicams when newer models are released?

What do you do to your digicam when newer models are released?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Deregistered
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
Every few months, new models from many brands are out in the market. I'm just curious... Hence this poll: What do you do a few months/years later when you see a better model?

Use the camera till it fails. I still have my Nikon Coopix 885 with me which I still use

New model with better feature and technology will always be introduce, hence its rather impossible to keep changing, in long run the amount that you tend to lose maybe enough to buy you a DSLR.
So for me, as long as the camera satisfy my need I will keep using it. If I am to buy a new camera, it gotta offer a lot of improvement for me to buy it. Even then, I may still keep the old camera as a backup.

I usually wait for my camera to be superceded by three models/generations (or at least two) before I think abt making a move. Or if I feel that I've pushed my current camera to its limits and I've outgrown it. i.e. there must be a real reason to get it.

A model X1 and X1a usually has only minor improvements that don't justify getting it. People who chase after the latest models, are well, only interested in buying stuff. If it works, it works. Why I just saw a photographer using a Fujifilm S2 Pro today and he seems plenty comfortable with it... :)

would you divorce your wife just to go for another girl 3mths after you got married?

only change when it's worth the money
how worthy is that ... subject to individual

Some is satisfied with little improvement even though the price difference is big ... Nothing wrong, if u can afford it. At the end of the day, it's all about being happy with your equipment(s)

I usually don't buy very very new model, would like to have it reviewed by the experienced.

On the other hand, like some one said: "I am not rich enough too buy cheap dslr/lens"

Personally will only change if hitting the limit with the current one (which usuall takes sometime to be explored even with pro ....)

Dont think the vote results are accurate.
Look at the Buy&Sell thread and you get what I mean...

sell my present one and get the newer model, only if the newer model has some function/improvements that I really need/want/desire, provided I can afford it at that time of course.

michhy said:
Dont think the vote results are accurate.
Look at the Buy&Sell thread and you get what I mean...

Yah, but then, this poll is an informal one and many can choose not to participate. My gut feeling is that digicams are like mobile phones, PDAs, etc. People keep changing them. Unless one is not into serious photography, there is a tendency to want to load off your outdated gear (can be as recent as only a few weeks or months!) for newer ones, be it for the look of it or more features. Am I making an assumption here? *grin*

For me, I'm falling into the trap of keeping the older model (for sentimental reasons) and buying newer ones. Of cos I can stick with the old one, but u know, sometimes u just itch and want this and that. I better get out of this bad habit! Should just sell off older cam b4 buying newer ones.

David said:
Every few months, new models from many brands are out in the market. I'm just curious... Hence this poll: What do you do a few months/years later when you see a better model?

we never had this much a problem during film cam time......a pns is a pns, a SLR is a SLR............

Nikonnew said:
we never had this much a problem during film cam time......a pns is a pns, a SLR is a SLR............

Yes, I think cos technology is progressing in leaps and bounds. And people these days are more affluent. They don't mind burning thousands of $ on technology.

I remember back in the 80's and early 90's, a $200-300 pns cam is what typically any layman non-photographer would be willing to spend on. These days, even total newbies are going for the $800 compact cams or $1.5-2k DSLRs. And cos their value depreciate so quickly, people keep changing equipment. Life becomes more complicated and open to temptation. If one is still stuck with a 2MP cam, while these days 6MP and 8MP cams are the norm, with faster AF and less shutter lag, how not to be tempted right... Unless u really have no care about photography.

Nikonnew said:

Yes, I think cos technology is progressing in leaps and bounds. And people these days are more affluent. They don't mind burning thousands of $ on technology.

I remember back in the 80's and early 90's, a $200-300 pns cam is what typically any layman non-photographer would be willing to spend on. These days, even total newbies are going for the $800 compact cams or $1.5-2k DSLRs. And cos their value depreciate so quickly, people keep changing equipment. Life becomes more complicated and open to temptation. If one is still stuck with a 2MP cam, while these days 6MP and 8MP cams are the norm, with faster AF and less shutter lag, how not to be tempted right... Unless u really have no care about photography.

Nikonnew said:

Only the foolhardy and the rich can chase technology.

Think it'll eventually boil down to what you want vs what you need vs the depth of your pockets. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

I'll just keep shooting until an upgrade is imminent like losing my kit to a camera grabbing punk in the streets

P.S. - Not allowed to vote though :cry:

TMC said:
would you divorce your wife just to go for another girl 3mths after you got married?

Option 2 .... Pimp

Option 3 .... If that is allowed by country of origin.

:bsmilie:

David said:

use them until they spoil

Status
Not open for further replies.