What do u all think of the T&C of Singapore in Pixels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To quote back from Nietzsche himself:
“We often refuse to accept an idea merely because the tone of voice in which it has been expressed is unsympathetic to us.”

then you have missed the point.

so entirely. :) in both quotes, incidentally

the choice lies with you

in this case, i would not join the contest
if the contest has few/no/substandard entries then it would reflect badly on the organiser
if they know that it is because of their t&c and in the first place it is not their intention to grab ownership of your photos then i would think they will change their T&C in future contests.

please keep politics out of this discussion

Yes, Sir!

I will leave immediately, for good, because I can sense my doomsday is near if I don't.

I hereby sign-off with another quote from Nietzsche (thanks to bro night86mare, I started reading my college Philosophy textbooks again):

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils, because it prolongs the torments of mankind."

Last edited:
unbelievable so fast page2 liao..

my vote is... i might join but throw in not the best or not worst photo average one.. jus like point and shoot photos:bsmilie::devil:

With ref from http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481346,

continue any OT in this thread.... Thanks;)

Alamak! Now this really becomes OT, with Mao and Marx all get quoted.

Back to the original topic and original thread... I don't see where there was too much OT? Except for brief reference about me being "high priest (getting) holier than thou" the rest was pretty much about the contest, its terms and conditions and the issue of the organiser not respecting copyright.

Yes, KopiOKaya and I devitated a bit but we subsequently removed those threads.

------

I feel that in any announcement about photo contests, it is IMPORTANT to discuss the terms and conditions and related issues like the integrity and intention of the organiser.

I, for one, do not normally read T&Cs carefully. If Clause #18 had not been highlighed in the thread, I would have just taken part without realising that I would lose my copyright just by submitting.

I appreciate it being highlighted and discussed. Otherwise, I just blur blur anyhow submit...

Removing all this discussion is, I feel, being very narrow minded in defining what it OT.

Even the whole CS or the whole island make noise, it still make no diff lor :)

No diff? Let's see...

So far I got reply from STB saying they understand and appreciate my feedback and would "sort it out" and inform me (if changes are made).

As I mentioned earlier, there had been laws changed as a result of feedback from public. These include laws on home brewing of beer, bar top dancing, closing time for pubs/ discos, etc.

If people just accept and say no diff, then of course no diff.

No diff? Let's see...

Really???? Let's see, kindly POST HERE BIG BIG if they changed, i believe that most of us would love to join if there is change in the T&C.

If people just accept and say no diff, then of course no diff.

Perhaps that many also didt listen to what others have been crying for. :)

maybe a petition to show STB, just how many photographers disagree with the T&C

chances are not high but no harm trying if one want to do it.

chances are not high but no harm trying if one want to do it.

must think like the gov and make changes by generations
maybe we will not enjoy the fruits of our labour, but hopefully the future generations who eventually take over the lead roles from this generation will make the change

must think like the gov and make changes by generations
maybe we will not enjoy the fruits of our labour, but hopefully the future generations who eventually take over the lead roles from this generation will make the change
:bigeyes::sweat:

Really???? Let's see, kindly POST HERE BIG BIG if they changed, i believe that most of us would love to join if there is change in the T&C.

Not real? You think I anyhow post bluffly?

Sure will post BIG BIG if I get positive news. Meanwhile, here is, small small, the email I received at close to midnight on Friday night:

Thank you for your advice on the copyrights issue here. We will definitely take your suggestions seriously. We totally understand your point. Do bear with us as we sort this out. We will update you once we review this.

STB person seems to be working very hard.

:bigeyes::sweat:

just like advertising, if you repeat it often enough, people will start to believe what you want them to believe

and sooner or later, it will become the new truth

remember: maggie mee, fast to cook, good to eat

Well, the Terms and Conditions seem to remain unchanged BUT... the following statement now appears on the FRONT PAGE of the Contest form calling for entries. I guess I should make it BIG BIG, or at least bold bold:

"STB is a big fan of copyright. We respect yours and reserve our own. You retain all rights to your work. By submitting your work here, you grant STB the rights to do the following: put it on the web, on print, and use it in our promotions. We thank our participants for the awesome photos submitted here."

This was almost the exact wording that I had "copied" from JPG Magazine and emailed to them as an example of RESPECT FOR COPYRIGHT.

Well, the Terms and Conditions seem to remain unchanged BUT... the following statement now appears on the FRONT PAGE of the Contest form calling for entries. I guess I should make it BIG BIG, or at least bold bold:

"STB is a big fan of copyright. We respect yours and reserve our own. You retain all rights to your work. By submitting your work here, you grant STB the rights to do the following: put it on the web, on print, and use it in our promotions. We thank our participants for the awesome photos submitted here."

This was almost the exact wording that I had "copied" from JPG Magazine and emailed to them as an example of RESPECT FOR COPYRIGHT.

And now, the BIG question mark.... how long do they own the right to do so... :sweat:

And now, the BIG question mark.... how long do they own the right to do so... :sweat:

In theory, probably "forever".

In practice, do you seriously think they want to keep using the same pixs for more than say, three or five years? I would think not even more than 2 years!

If STB or any organisation continues to use my images for long long time, I would feel proud and happy rather than upset. For it only means that my image has long-lasting value and appeal :)

i have posted these questions in the "Singapore In Pixels thread.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4872369#post4872369

"hi richard, do u happen to know if this is only applicable to those photo that win prizes or is it for all the enteries, regardless win or not?

also, if they have the rights to use those photos, does that means the same photos, we can use them commercially for other client? will there be problem with STB or the new client?

last, does that means we cant sell the exclusive rights to another customer for ever, since STB never states how long they hold the rights to use the photo as they deem fits?

thanks."

as richard is not with STB (trying my luck to see if he has more info), he might not be able to answer. so it is open to all also, will there be legal issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.